Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 13, 2012
This book provides an overview of 10 plus fiber techniques. For this reason it would have been impossible to provide comprehensive information on each technique. It is definitely not a book I'd refer to as a resource on any of the textile techniques. The weaving section is probably the most in depth, however, the place mat project did not specify the yarn used. As an experienced weaver I understand the importance of the correspondence of yarn to "sett", however, I couldn't figure out what size yarn or type of fiber they used. A great looking warp using rope is featured in the book. I would have liked a little info on it, for instance, what size rope and how many ends per inch was it threaded. The gallery of photos is the best part of the book, unfortunately it is only 8 pages. I think the authors should have narrowed the scope of the book and included ideas on teaching textile art classes and workshops. The Textile Art Center is a unique place and I would have like to read more about their teaching philosophy.
on July 19, 2013
I bought this as a high school graduation present for a girl considering a college major in textile arts. She loves it! Says it's full of good information and very interesting. I enjoyed looking through it myself before I gave it to her.
on August 26, 2014
This was my fault. I was looking for a book more about textile artists in there studios, not brief chapters about different textile arts. Should have read the review closer. It's a fine book if you are looking to get into textile art and want some basic overall info, just not what I was looking for.
on March 3, 2014
As other reviewers have noted, this is not a complete intro to any fiber technique. Certainly no book could possibly do all of the techniques presented here in depth. That said, the instructions are well-written, the photography excellent, and the projects pretty much do-able, although true beginners will want a helpful friend to coach them. I bought the book looking for guidance in setting up an efficient studio space. Alas, that's just touched upon in the opening chapter, nothing comprehensive. It's good for what it is, but that's just a small introduction to various fiber crafts. Oh well.
on January 3, 2013
The book shows you efficient ways to get started in textile arts. It's focus is on studio setup with very basic examples of how you might use the setup. As a relatively inexpensive, short book I was not expecting an encyclopedia. You would not buy it expecting to become a master weaver, screenprinter, knitter, etc--it gives just enough detail to help you set up shop and imagine projects you would like to undertake. This allows you to choose one to pursue or connect with your current discipline. The studio organization tips open your mind to doing more types of textile arts in the same amount of space. I agree that the photo gallery at the end has a strange placement and tiny size. Some of the techniques lack photos. I would take it more as a sprinkling of interesting tips and techniques rather than a meaty reference. You will end up wanting to buy many more books.
on February 20, 2013
This book has a good, broad overview of many forms of textile creation. I felt it was in depth enough to cover the basics and provide inspiration for pursuing further those techniques that appeal to you the most.
on March 18, 2013
I don't know what I expected but I thought this book would highlight weaving studios. Instead it was about setting up your own weaving studio and doing weaving. My fault I think.
on December 24, 2013
Not only did I personally enjoy the book, I ordered 65 more for my beginning textiles class. A good introduction to the fiber arts with lovely photography.
on May 18, 2015
i'm glad i got this book but I was hoping for a little more in depth information
I really love this colourful book.