Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$13.99

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on April 18, 2011
I really wanted to like this book. I have a great deal of admiration for Gary's creativity in using social media to scale his wine business. And I liked Gary's perspective in the early part of this book: that social media is resetting the balance of power between customers and corporations and forcing (savvy) businesses to return to a priority on making happy, well-satisfied customers.

Unfortunately, if you already believe social media is important to business, you'll learn precious little else from this book. Gary is incredibly repetitive (he really needs the help of a good editor). Even worse, he never gets into specifics of how to use social media to build one's business. The book stays at the platitude level about the importance of social media and truly caring about one's customers. Even the handful of chapters devoted to profiling some companies whose social media efforts Gary applauds, are limited to a few pages each and stay quite superficial. Gary clearly knows much more than he chose to share in this book. That's disappointing.
66 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
Don't like the way the author told his own story, made me feel his company is the whole "thank you economy" and everything he had done to his employees & customers should become the standard industry model.

Though, the examples in the book are still good to read: Zappos, Joie de Vivre Hotels, nice to know.
on March 21, 2015
Needlessly wordy I found this book repeats the same couple of core concepts several times over in different ways. It reads more like a series of blog posts that have been mashed together rather than a coherent structure of words that flow naturally.
on December 19, 2012
repetitive and vacuous. I was looking for something more profound--disappointed that it didnt really move the dial. I've heard Gary speak before so i was excited to dive in--only to get the same ole same ole.
on February 25, 2013
Gary Vaynerchuk's first book, Crush It, changed my life. It really was that profound a book for me. I loved it so much I bought it for my employees as a Christmas gift one year. I quoted from it in meetings and ultimately made a major life change in part because of the motivation I received from that book.

So, I waited with GREAT anticipation for this book. I preordered it and devoured it when it came out. And, I was sorely disappointed. This was not the Gary of Crush It. This was a much more corporate, toned-down, ghost-writer type Gary. There was nothing uniquely motivational, inspirational, or educational in this book. If Crush It was a home run then The Thank You Economy was a foul ball.

I'm still a huge fan of Gary but if you loved Crush It don't waste your time on this book. Instead go re-read Crush It. And, if you've never read Crush It... please don't read one more review... just search on here for that book and overnight it to yourself.

I'm looking forward to Gary's next book. I hope he'll devote himself to it. I'm hoping he really does have more to give to readers than just one book. He's too good to be a one hit wonder.
on March 19, 2014
The guy is just too full of himself. Does not build trust - the true cornerstone of Thank you economy!
on August 25, 2011
Maybe the content of the book is worth my time, but wow, the audio sure isn't. I started listening to this guy who slurs, drops the ends of words, speaks too quickly, dips and rolls his pitch; it's work to listen to him. I went back to see who the reader was, wondering, how did this guy get hired??

Oh. It's the author.

Gary, they don't call them "professional readers" for nothin. Next time, hand off this task to someone else - it'll free up more time for writing.
on March 13, 2011
I should say, I like the author - @garyvee - and respect him, but this book is a virtual wasted effort. If you have read his book Crush It, a superior effort told in less than half the pages, then you definitely do not need to read this. It's intended for business owners, but its one, very simple, message is...use social media. Okay, fine. But this book can truly be summarized in a few short pages. There are some examples, and I believe and agree with him, when he speaks of businesses need to get on the social media bandwagon and care about the customer. But in truth, there is little "how-to" in this book and much more "preach to you". It's unfortunate, as I don't see many getting much out of this very easy, brisk read. Too bad.