Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on November 24, 2001
I purchased this book only recently and tried it out over the past holiday. I can now heartily endorse it. Ms. Morgan has put together a collection of easy to follow recipes that will liven up your Thanksgiving table. Many look like your standard fare, but have been jazzed up with new preparation techniques. A perfect example is the Chiffonade of Brussel Sprouts. I have to have brussel sprouts on my table every year, but was so bored with them. I followed her technique for shredding them, then sauteeing - they came out like a warm slaw, perfectly cooked and offset with the hazelnuts - I had no leftovers at all! I will be making that dish again, for sure.
I primarily purchased the book for her section on vegetarian entrees and again, she did not let me down. The stuffed acorn squash was, as she stated, fantastic, and my vegetarian guest was thrilled.
I do have one complaint/suggestion: I wish that each recipe had said how far in advance each recipe could be prepared ahead. I believe in a book about holiday cooking, where most people begin to cook several days in advance, knowing how far in advance each thing could be prepared would have made this book ideal for anyone preparing the holiday feast. I have enough experience to figure it out myself, but not everyone does.
I believe this book is an excellent buy, however. If you like Holiday cooking and are looking to change things up a bit, you should buy this book. You will enjoy it, and so will your guest.
on October 23, 2001
In "The Thanksgiving Table" Diane Morgan has kicked Thanksgiving up a notch, maybe three.
Not only has she included recipes for some of the more traditional items for Thanksgiving dinner but she has some really interesting recipes that take the traditional and give it a slight twist, Shirley LeBlonds stuffing, for example. The twist isn't in the recipes alone but in some of the table treatments as well, burlap and corrugated cardboard on a holiday table? But it works!
"The Thanksgiving Table" includes a history of the first Thanksgiving, including the menu, how traditional do you want to get? It also includes a timetable that stretches back a couple of weeks before the event, so you aren't rushing at the last minute. I feel I must mention the recipes for leftovers, I can hardly wait.
Along with the fantastic recipes are some of the most incredible photographs I have ever seen in a cookbook.
This is a must have for all of us who enjoy entertaining on Thanksgiving. "The Thanksgiving Table" has something for everyone, a step by step for the first timer wanting to start their own Thanksgiving tradition, or it can be used to inspire us old timers with new ideas and a fresh perspective. Well done Diane!
on November 16, 2001
Morgan offers up a wide variety of mouthwatering dishes that are easy to make and (usually) don't require an extra trip to the store or a quest for some obscure ingredient. There are main course recipes for meat-eaters and vegetarians alike, and she even includes ideas for leftovers. Best of all is the brined turkey, which is life-changing. I'll never eat turkey any other way.
on November 28, 2003
I used the "Search Inside this Book" feature of Amazon to try out some of the recipes in this book for this year's Thanksgiving. I made the carrot pudding souffle, the jalapeno cheddar cornbread stuffing, and the sweet potato wedges. All came out wonderfully! The cornbread stuffing was the biggest hit. I strongly recommend this book.
on January 17, 2007
What I love about this book is that it truly offers something for everyone, from novices looking to host their first Thanksgiving to more accomplished cooks who want to try new twists on the classics. Ms. Morgan provides plenty of clear-headed advice to guide you, from choosing the right equipment and do-ahead tips to planning your menu.

The book is organized well, and includes everything from a section on the history of Thanksgiving to a chapter on creating great meals with leftovers. There is even a chapter on vegetarian entrees. This is not to say that the star attraction (turkey)is neglected. Ms. Morgan gives us recipes for brined, barbecued, deep-fried, and roasted birds, among others; plus advice on what to look for when buying a turkey. As an added bonus, the book also includes a handful of table-decorating ideas, with "recipes" for making table centerpieces and other autumn home decor accents.

Among my favorite recipes: the fragrant walnut rolls, which my family devoured; and the cranberry chutney, with its beautiful jewel color and spice-infused flavor. You will never go back to cranberry sauce after this!
on January 11, 2016
Very nice book with pretty pictures and awesome recipes for thanksgiving. It's a very classic thanksgiving cooking book. If you are looking for something more "new" this book is not it,but very good nonetheless. My favorite recipe was the sweet potato praline. It's ridiculously good!
on August 18, 2014
This book was on my daughter's cookbook shelf when I was back visiting her. A couple of the recipes looked intriguing enough that I tried them in June. What a delight! So I ordered the book and it was here waiting for me upon my return home.
on November 30, 2004
I was so inspired by the authors presentation that I made my own dinner napkins (I've never sown) purchased a new table cloth, made napkin holders and candle center pieces. Set the table the night before and took a picture! The turkey brining write up conviced me that it was the way to go - along with the roasting receipes and stuffing. My dinner guest have decided that this will be the only way future turkeys can be served! The meal was soooooo good - Thanks Diane Morgan for your work on this project - it's a success in my book.
on November 13, 2015
I bought this book 10 years ago, This is by far the very best Thanksgiving Menu/Recipe book out there. There is not so many recipes that you get confused and the recipes that are here are superb. The photos of each recipe are outstanding also. Thanksgiving is a very big deal in my household, every year I host all my family and friends, this book forms the basis of my whole meal. I rotate each year (except the turkey and brining recipe) recipes and of course use other recipe books but the wholesome and natural ways these recipes are designed have made me a better cook. Needless to say my copy is very crinkled now with use but each year I bring it out, it just makes me smile.
review image
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2014
I have a cook book collection, this book is one of my favorites. I have had this book for years. I am purchasing this book for a friend because she is always asking for the recipes. My favorite recipe so far is the carrot pudding. I bring it to every holiday party I go to. The turkey brine recipes are also great. I don't consider myself a good cook, but if I can follow the recipes anyone can.