5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have and must-see
Published on June 28, 2006 by Orio

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Music-Industry Movie
If you're looking for a movie about breaking into the music industry, this is a fine one with a country flavor. I like these kinds of movies and I like these specific actors. This is nothing to write home about, but is, well, fine.
Published on January 21, 2012 by Patrick Logan

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have and must-see, June 28, 2006
Orio (Salsomaggiore Terme, PR Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
If I had to choose ONE movie to show and teach students the secrets of great actors-directing, it would be this one. The destiny of Peter Bogdanovich is amazing: celebrated as one of the world's best directors in the early 70s, he fell into disgrace because of private problems in the 80s, and rarely got a chance to direct anymore except for TV. Somehow it reminds me of the destiny of Wim Wenders, also celebrated as the new big thing in the 70s, and much disregarded today.

Both judgements were excessive. They probably weren't the best directors in the world in the 70s - but surely aren't the worst today.

This movie is a little, much under-rated and overlooked, certainly humble and understated gem. Bogdanovich shows here what it means to direct actors in a way that enhances their performances and brings out deep emotions. This is not a superficial movie. Instead, it is one that bears repeated viewings. And it has much of what life has: truth, emotions, changes. I especially like the ending. It seems to get back to the beginning, but it's not. Somehow, everything is there, but everything has changed forever. It's a happy ending, but bittersweet too. And like real life, it goes on, on a road where you can't follow, just like those friends you had and never met again, or just like your past memories.

I've been waiting for a decade to get a dvd of this movie. And I bought it immediately as it came out, because it is really unsure that they may ever reprint this once the first bunch is gone. So get it, don't miss it, this is the best advice I can give. Don't miss the experience of this movie. This is no special fx movie. This is actors cinema at its best. Something rare.

5.0 out of 5 stars underrated film, December 20, 2004
This is one of the best films about the music business that I've seen. Good performances, great music, and an above-average script -- I don't understand why this film isn't more well known, and why it hasn't been released on DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real Thing Called Love, July 25, 2005
The Thing Called Love is about a real place in Nashville (The Bluebird Cafe) and is very true to life about the experiences of the young songwriters who come here to try to make it. Nashville doesn't have quite this many cowboy hats or this much line dancing, but the heartbreak and the excitement that is the daily life of the up and coming artists is right on. You might want to read more about the real place in "The Bluebird Cafe Scrapbook" which has a chapter about the making of this film. Also, some of the real artists in it have great albums out, including Kevin Welch and Pam Tillis.

I highly recommend this movie for people thinking of moving to Nashville to try to make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miranda"no relation to Elvis" Presley wants to be a country music star, January 5, 2007
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
When this movie came out I was not yet in highschool and I found it fabulous. Now graduated from college I watched it again and found myself liking it for different reasons. Miranda Presley flees from New York to Nashville in hopes of becoming a country music star. She takes a job as a waitress at a famous little diner run by K.T.Oslin. In real life this is the same diner that 'discovered' lots of early country stars. She meets James, the cute but dark River Phoenix, and he has just signed a record deal. She becomes roommates with Sandra Bullock, an eager girl trying to make everybody else happy. And she also meets Kyle,played by Dermot Mulrouney, who has the hots for Miranda. They all want to become big stars, and so they audition over and over at the diner and this is where the movie takes place.

There is some love chasing as well as dream chasing. Miranda is on a mission and she unexpectedly finds herself while chasing a dream. We get to see the struggles of an aspiring song writer and find humor when everything looks like it's lost. This version of the dvd is great with extra scenes added in, and anyone who has watched this before will know what they are. We also get to see the making of the movie with interviews on River Phoenix, which is reason alone to buy the dvd.

Watching the film as an adult I found myself relating to everything. While I never wanted to be a star I do have dreams and watching these people chase them and fight for them made me try a little bit harder. All the actors became their character and made it that more real. If you like movies with comedy,drama,love,soul searching then you should try this one on for size.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FILM EVER!!!, March 1, 2006
Belinda (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
Thank you!!!! At last we can own the best picture of all times. Great actors, great script, great songs. It's so amazing, a simple love triangle story that means so much. This is a dream come true.

Now it's only left a new soundtrack with all the songs sung by the actors...

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU!!!, November 23, 2005
Finally The Thing Called Love is getting the DVD treatment. It's the directors cut as well, isn't that amazing!!! I hope they re-release the soundtrack too. I like the way the actors sing the songs better than the singers on the original soundtrack. Anyway if you never seen this movie here's the scoop from imdb:

Young Miranda Presley, an aspiring Country-singer/writer, comes to Nashville, Tennessee, to enter the weekly singer contest held at "The Bluebird Cafe". There she meets James Wright, an energetic, but somewhat chaotic young man, Kyle Davidson, a more laid-back kind of guy and Linda Lue Linden, who's career may not necessarily be in Country... When both James and Kyle get attracted to Miranda, she makes a decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Magnificient, July 9, 2006
kaitlin (uniontown, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
This is by far one of my favorite movies and always will be!! It has a great storyline and the music that is sung by the actors in teh film is great! I just wish it would have been on the soundtrack!! I'm surprised it's not better known what with all of the big time actors/actresses in it but it's definitely an old classic and worth every penny!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cult classic, July 30, 2006
Jane (Sydney, Australia.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
This would have to be in my top 5 movies of all time. The location, the music and the actors all create this excellent movie. I think everyone can see themseves in this movie one way or another. Well worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous actors...and a worthy near miss., December 7, 2007
This review is from: The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) (DVD)
This movie should have made Samantha Mathis a star. She is so beautiful in it you can barely take your eyes off her. Her face lights up almost every shot. I guess her performance must owe a lot to the direction of Peter Bogdanovich, who is pretty good with making his leading ladies appealing.

River Phoenix is fabulous inhabiting the role of a cocky young singer with a way with women. I was interested to learn on this site that he had actually cut some records before his death. I didn't love his voice, but his band sounded good and he moved his body the way you wish male country singers would. He is the anti-Dermot Mulrooney, who plays the passive, ineffectual male in just about every film he makes, and a worthy successor to the James Dean legend.

The story is cute, but slight, and somehow just misses greatness. There is a love triangle which seems a bit too pat, a best friend who seems stuck in there to prop up the leading lady...It just all misses somehow. But still...a worthy film about young people pursuing their dreams and experimenting with love, and a nice introduction to 1990's Nashville.

I apologize for commenting before I've seen the Director's cut. I hope there are enough extra scenes and director's information to make it worth buying the DVD. I'll come back and edit my review if I do decide to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie, it has a great story and it's my favorite, January 9, 1999
By A Customer
I have seen this movie at least 10 times, it has a special part of my heart because it is one of River Phoenix's last on screen roles. He and Mathis have a wonderful chemistry on screen and it comes across as a wonderful romantic downhome feeling every time I watch it.

The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut)
The Thing Called Love (Director's Cut) by Peter Bogdanovich (DVD - 2006)
Used & New from: $39.93