5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Selznick Creates Masterpieces!
Published on October 17, 2007 by Lynn Ellingwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Turn out the lights and read by ... flashlight!
Published on October 12, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Turn out the lights and read by ... flashlight!, October 12, 2000
By A Customer
Brian Selznick has created a perfect Halloween story book for the younger school age set. They will ask to see "Frankenstein", "Dracula", and "The Wolf Man" after reading and seeing the pictures in this little book of "horrors". The beginning was a little fragmented and slow to grow but once the story was moving to the main problem as to who "the beast" was, you really wanted to know more and why. The ending was very cute; maybe too cute for me, but I'm not 10 years old. The telling of this tale will help parents in getting their kids to talk about their fears, their dreams for the future, their secret desires! The boy hero is a real kid with hidden dreams who is able to finally show those dreams to his friends and family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Selznick Creates Masterpieces!, October 17, 2007
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
This is a fun book about the magic movies have over people and their memories. A 10 year old boy is obsessed with having a thousand faces just like Lon Chaney. He watches many films and tries to recall all the faces that Lon Chaney had in different films. No one can really capture in their mind what Lon Chaney really looked like because he preferred to appear in character and the films are what lives on. I am a teacher and I defintely want to read this book and show The Phantom of the Opera to them. It is a great introduction to popular culture, and silent films. Lon Chaney was a very gifted actor and he was a pioneer in movie makeup. It's nice that Brian Selznick, a member of the Selznick family of movie fame, remembers him so fondly. I also remember taking out 8mm movies out of the library and showing them on our Super 8 projector. They were edited versions of The Mummy, Phantom of the Opera, The Wolf Man etc. without sound or music. We loved them, and borrowed them again and again. What memories they have for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The boy if a thousand faces, March 13, 2002
marcia fleury (Upstate New York United States) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a wonderful book. It had everything a kids book should have, mystery, adventure and best of all it dealt with Halloween, every kids delight, even at 43!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boy of a Thousand Faces, December 19, 2011
Great Author! He also wrote the books, The Invention of Hugo Caberet and Wonderstruck. Beautiful illustrations! Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The man of a thousand faces and the boy of a thousand faces, November 15, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
The story is about a boy and his movie make-up. He lives in a town where no one believes in Halloween and monsters....except for him...
In the beginning he was "alone" in a town of non-beleivers. Until the beast arrived, everyone beleived....
~Erin
Age 11

5.0 out of 5 stars Litland.com loves Boy of a Thousand Faces & Brian Selznick!, February 4, 2010
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
True to his style, Selznick has incorporated "real" photos of mythical monster mysteries as well as of real actors from classic movies. His own illustrations fit right in, which is a testament to his ability to capture the reality of a moment in both word and picture. Stylistic elements of the story mirror that of the classic films, using language that evokes suspense and flurry similar to the build up of villagers into mobs in film classics (or, as more recently parodied in the Wallace and Gromit spoof, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit).

It is a return to a time of innocence in a neighborhood where people are safe, Halloween is fun, costumes are home-made and appropriate. A time absent of today's hustle and bustle, and where children are allowed to be....well, children. Another excellent book from Brian Selznick that we highly recommend! See full review against character education guidelines plus parent/teacher activities at [...] and our commentary for discussion at [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Lon Chaney Stars!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
I bought this book for my grand-daughter and we both enjoyed it tremendously. This is a book for anyone who ever spent Saturdays watching old horror movies as a child!

5.0 out of 5 stars oh my god THIS BOOK IS MEMORIES, March 17, 2014
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
Do you want to hear a funny story? No? Well, too bad, I'm telling you anyway.
So it was third grade for me, I don't even remember to be honest. I've been graduated two years so it could be earlier. I came across this book for the first time when I was looking for R.L. Stine books (I had a massive collection of R.L. Stine books but some books at the library, I didn't have), and instantly started crying at the frightening cover. I mean, I almost pissed on myself because I was paralyzed by fear. I would have pressed the panic button if I had one. I remember I would specifically avoid the area were this book was at in the library because the book was set up in a way where it was standing up and you could see the cover. My best friend Tori at the time convinced me to read it because she knew I avoided that area. Dude, she double dog dared me and that was the worst punishment I've gotten thus far in my life. I grabbed the book without looking at the cover, and brought it home. I felt a sense of bravery and success having it in my backpack. I was so frightened reading it, and I dropped the book a few times out of fear. I cried reading it but I got through the book finally. When I finally closed the book, I swore to myself that I would forget completely about this. That book scarred me as a child. And if you guys know about the story about the girl with the green ribbon around her neck, because that was frightening too and ruined my childhood too, okay? Looking back on this book, swearing I would never come back to this, I still get frightened out of my mind. I happen to never get scared of anything tbh but if you bring this book up, I will run 500 miles away from you. I've had nightmares over this book, but I will always friggen love the memories behind this book. Oh my god, I'm about to cry because of the memories I have with this book. That's my review. I'm actually gonna get the book again just because. God help me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selznick at his best, October 31, 2013
Fantastic Selznick illustrations. The story is a heart warming story, which is a bonus since I buy Selznick for the pictures. Well done, Brian. this will become a classic and family favorite!

4.0 out of 5 stars the boy with a thousand faces, April 8, 2013
This review is from: The Boy of a Thousand Faces (Paperback)
Very good fir kids to imagine how to perform like a famous actor who was a man with a thousand facees. I wish this book waas to focus more about the real man with a thousand faces.

The Boy of a Thousand Faces
The Boy of a Thousand Faces by Brian Selznick (Paperback - August 21, 2001)
$6.99