Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on March 16, 2012
I have seen all of the three musketeers movies out there. I read the book when I was 9 years old and I have been a fan ever since. I enjoyed watching this movie. The airship is a little far fetched but so what. I was thoroughly entertained. I saw the movie in 3D when it first came out. Actually, I was so excited about it when I talked to the movie employees that the manager from the theatre gave me the musketeer poster.

The movie was filmed in Germany - in and around Munich and other Southern German towns, at several different estates and at the King Ludwig II castle on the Mens' Island (Herreninsel). There are no cars allowed on this island. This castle is an exact copy of Versailles. The film makers probably could not get permission to film in Versailles. King Ludwig of Bavaria was a huge fan of the Sun King, Louis 16th and he dedicated several rooms to him which are inside this castle. Almost every year I visit the castle there and take a round trip by boat with my family. Even if you don't like the movie all that much, than at least enjoy the scenery.
on March 4, 2012
When I first went to see this movie I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I had expectations yes, but they weren't the highest. Boy was I wrong. This movie was great fun to watch.

I did not go see it in 3d because personally 3d doesn't do much for me but the 2d experience was great. What I really enjoyed about this movie was that it had a little bit of everything, funny characters, semi-engaging storyline, romance, action, and good looking men ;)

To me the storyline was just right for the film, there was a lot going on with the characters interactions with each other and they did a good job of playing back to things that happen early in the film and adding twists, confusion, and even a few surprises. The characters all have their quirks from D'Artagnan's cocky statements to King Louis' insecurity's and childlike attitude. The film has an overall funny feel to it with a good deal of jokes and silly encounters which I really enjoyed. There's nothing like going to an action movie and getting some laughs out of it as well.

The romance aspect was small but effective as it helped move the storyline along in different ways. Different characters had to deal with different aspects of romance and each issue helped push the plot and characters in ways that were both expected and unexpected. As for the action all I can say is wow. I love watching a good sword fight happen and this movie was full of excellent swordplay. Along with swords, bombs, explosives, and guns were all used adding to the action.

This movie is not a tradition rendering of the Three Musketeers and has a steam punk feel to it making it a Three Musketeers for the modern age. Overall it was fun to watch and enjoy. I enjoyed it enough that I went to see it twice in theaters and already have plans to purchase the DVD release. Overall I give it a five star review because I loved it that much. :)
99 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
If you're looking for your next movie to showcase for great 3D, The Three Musketeers delivers the same great 3D you've seen in Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, as Paul W.S. Anderson returns as director and has not lost his 3D touch (currently filming Resident Evil: Retribution 3D, which looks equally great from the 3D trailer as of Jan 2012). How good is the 3D here? Anderson learned his 3D from the Fusion 3D used on Avatar. Any more questions? Exceptional 3D in depth and the occasional pop outs.

Moving on to the movie itself, I went in with the expectations that the film would deliver interesting, like-able characters, a decent storyline and plenty of great action. They sort of got the last part right, but the rest is debatable IMO.

Characters: The lead hero is portrayed as an arrogant jerk, and the Three Musketeers are directionless, without a goal when the film gets underway. So who do I root for? Milla Jovovich of course. Too bad she didn't have a bigger role. Orlando Bloom appears, but does little more than talk for the few moments he appears.

Storyline: The story needs a strong goal right from the start. Without it, the film feels directionless and pointless. Just some clueless characters wandering about waiting for something to do, is how I perceived it. And I wanted to enjoy the film, but by the end, I didn't care how great the 3D was, I couldn't wait to leave the theater. But that's just one opinion. Another viewing might change the bad taste.

Action: Good action when it appears. The sword fights are good, but fencing is limited in the amount of jabs and strikes you can do. More creativity is welcome here. The other action scenes, ranging from Milla squeezing through some obstacle courses, to an in air battle of floating ships, are pretty well done and woke me up in the theater, but if you don't care about the characters, it's still hollow action.

Visuals: Great scenery and elaborate costumes if you like the style, top notch lighting and cinematography. Solid special effects.

If you like Pirate movies, then you may very well enjoy this. The setting is France, with all of the etiquette, pomp and circumstance, frilly wardrobes and prissy attitudes to go with it, notably displayed by the intentionally annoying King.
Decent at best.

Film: 5/10
Story: 4/10
Characters: 6/10
Action: 8/10
Visuals: 8/10
3D: 9/10 EXCELLENT.
Overall: 6/10 (not an average, saved by the 3D and action). If you need another 3D action movie for your 3DTV, the 3D will not disappoint. The movie on the other hand...
33 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2012
Saw a sample of "The Three Musketeers 3D" on Vios "On Demand" and it looked awesome. Bought the 3D version and loved the original story and the great 3D effects. As an older person (67) who used to like playing on the roof, but no longer enjoy heights, the "high" fighting scenes are just great! I don't understand the jaded reviews of almost all 3D movies. Being in the film always feels great to me, and it doesn't have to be a "wow moment" to make the effect enjoyable. I have used this picture to show off my 60 inch Sharp 3D and everyone loves the film. My 5 1/2 year old grandson has watched it many times and I think this and "Hugo" have made him a 3D fan.
I am waiting for all these good movies that are slowly starting to be released in 3D. This is the future just like Blu-Ray HD is the now! Make sure you make up your own mind and don't let the reviewers online make it up for you.
on September 17, 2012
OMIGOSH. YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Can I repeat that? I'm wanting to. I want to jump up and down and scream with delight...or go into crazy adrenaline mode like I did the other day when I walked out of the movie theater, my face covered in awe and wonder and true love and delight and amazement and pure inspiration and incredulity at this movie.

I honestly have NOTHING bad to say about it. Not only was it extremely clean (besides a few hilariously placed cuss words and chest-showing damsels in distress), but it was just freaking phenomenally incredible. Do I make sense here? Is my brain befuddled and therefore befuddling you? I'm befuddled. This movie befuddles me. Hopefully you can make sense of this... ;)

So what was there in this movie to look forward to, to love?

First off, great music. If you listen to the soundtrack, you'll understand. Paul Haslinger - look him up.

The modern vibe. I wasn't sure if I was going to like that part of it, but I did. Man, oh man.

Then there was the cast. Ohhhhhh!! Whoever did the casting is a genius. These actors/actresses were perfect for their roles. I don't remember if there was once a line uttered wrong for the scene. Nothing about the actors and their talents was cheesy. Even actors (coughOrlandoBloomcough) who I've never appreciated the acting of were perfect for their parts and said everything perfectly and did everything perfectly. Was it the director or something? Dang, these guys nailed it.

The filming was beautiful, as was the editing and CG. Oh man I want to live some of those scenes just because of the color and the way everything was so lifelike...and yet not.

Then there were the costumes. HOLY SMOKES I wanted to wear every single dress in this movie; heck, I would have even tried on a man's outfit just for the sake of it. They were all extremely colorful and grand and beautifully detailed.

They did all their own stunts. I mean, come on! Does it get better? Yes. Yes it does.

Then, there was the dueling, the sword fights. It was like...art. Seriously, every move was like a hand-crafted porcelain from a master, perfectly placed and excellently choreographed, like a dance, or a poem.

And the story line/characters. What the heck! It was fantastical. The story line was nonstop action and adventure. Every plot and subplot was carefully placed, every line written for a purpose and for the immense enjoyment of the movie-goer. I couldn't believe my eyes - everything was so intense, all the colors, all the action. Toward the end, I thought I was in the climax, but no, I wasn't. Things kept going wrong - and getting worse. I thought I was seeing the end, but then some other problem arose and was bigger than the last. The final blowout scene was satisfying and amazing. The best scene. WOW.

And....I've been saving the best for last. Drum-roll please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOGAN LERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I've had a thing for this guy since I saw "3:10 to Yuma", where he played with my all time favorite (Christian Bale) and nailed his role. In "Percy Jackson", he was the best thing about that movie (which sucked). And now, here, in this movie, he not only has a leading role, he has, what appeared to me, *the* leading role.

Let me give you an example of how good Logan did at taking on his role. You know those characters, those who are new at whatever their task is, those who are very innocent an naïve and who do extremely embarrassing things that make the reader/watcher cringe in horror for him/her? Well, D'Artagnon could have been one of those characters. He did do some things that showed his naivety, but I never once cringed in painful embarrassment. I laughed. Heartily. Because the things he did were funny, and lessons learned. And even if the girl didn't fall for his flirty charms, I DID. Like, from the moment he opened his mouth. From the moment he whipped out that beautiful sword and fought off like twenty men before he received help.

How did he do it? I ask myself. He perfected his role, made for laughter and entertainment, as well as a character who you could respect even while he is learning. That is what I call fantabulous acting. I hope he becomes one of the greats. :D

And those are the reasons why this movie gets a 10/10 from me!! :D (And why you should somehow go see this movie right now!!!)
on July 13, 2012
This movie was great for what it was intended to be: mindless fun action. I am surprised by all the negative reviews that complain about how unrealistic and unlike the books it was. Hmmm... the flying ship on the cover didn't give that away to you? If you like movies like Tomb Raider, The Rundown, etc., then you will probably like The Three Musketeers.
on September 23, 2012
Do you ever watch a remake where you say to yourself "that's not the way it's supposed to be!" Well, not this movie, it's exactly what the three musketeers is supposed to be. It's funny, it's dramatic, it's silly, it's the whole feel of the old movie. How refreshing! Our grandkids thought it was weird for a sword fight movie, the problem with the young generation, everything has to be blood and gore, and really does the good guy win much anymore, can you even tell who the good guy is half of the time? How often do we go to see a movie and leave with kind of a sick feeling. Watching this show gave us one of those feel good moments, the way the old musketeers made you feel, when it was over we just felt like smiling. Bravo.
on March 29, 2012
I don't know what is wrong with so many people, I guess giving negative reviews is now a hobby. I was not sure what to expect but I truly enjoyed this, it was a great fun movie that you can watch with the family too which is hard to come by a lot of the time. The clarity is amazing, one of the best blu-rays visually that I have seen and a pretty good price for 3D. I don't write many reviews but couldn't believe so many people were giving it such bad ones. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Try this if you like action movies and especially if you like action without lots of blood and gore or are looking for a family friendly action movie for movie night :)
on July 10, 2014
Oh my word, this was a bad movie. You can tell from the first 2 minutes that it will be unpleasant to watch.

Unfortunately, I kept on watching hoping for it to get better. The truth is, it does get slightly better, but not by much.

It's really sad this kind of movie is not made to leave a legacy as well as make a profit, it clearly was made just to make money. That's business I guess, but I can't imagine anyone having interest in reading the novel after watching this adaptation.

So what's wrong with it?
-It's so bad it almost feels like satire, but it's not intended to be! At least I don't think so.
-Casting - I love mostly unknown actors, but pick some that fit the roles! d'Artagnan is a horrible child in this version. And the Cardinal? Oh my, he's about as evil as a bunny rabbit. The only person that can act is the Queen and she gets about 2 minutes to do it!
-Plot - Holes left and right. And are we supposed to believe that there is actually chemistry between d'Artagnan and Constance? It's painful to watch their forced interactions.
-TONS of overdone CGI - And I mean nearly EVERYTHING. It ruins the entire experience. A distant cutaway is one thing, but it's nearly everything, including anytime there are more than 10 soldiers on screen.
-Absurdly over the top with little grasp on reality - Everything from flying boats to invincible characters.

What's good about it?
-The costumes are very well done. This is where it gets confusing. Why do such a good job on those (even if they are not historically accurate), yet bomb the rest of the movie?
-There are some beautiful interiors of buildings.
-Like mentioned before, the actor who plays the Queen does a good job.

Overall it just doesn't have any magic and doesn't feel special in any way. If you're going to do a bad movie, that's fine, but don't ruin such a great story. Poor Alexandre Dumas must be rolling in his grave. I know movies are incredibly complex to make, but I can't possibly imagine any director with any sense of pride or quality would release this to the public. How embarrassing.
VINE VOICEon July 2, 2013
The family was in town so I thought I'd show off the new 3D TV. I figured Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Five-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy) would be a sure winner, so started with that one. No one really seemed all that excited about it, but didn't say much so as to not hurt my feelings. I even heard some snoring from the back row...

After a snack break, I threw this one in, and everyone suddenly woke up and started responding to the movie with some emotion. The Pirates (which is a good enough movie, of course) just looked like those popup books - like a series of 2D cutouts stacked in front of each other by comparison. Three Musketeers drew you into the depths of the scene. And there were the inevitable swords waving around your theater room and anxiety causing shots from airborne war machines. Corny, but we do expect a little of that from a 3D film, don't we? The colors were bright and the scenes were well lit.

Was it Alexandre Dumas? No. Was it loads of fun and well worth watching multiple times? YES!