Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on May 6, 2012
First off, IMDB is full of factual errors submitted by various people on this "The Three Stooges (TV 2000)" movie, so I will spare repeating most of that here. It is those goofs and my own reading on the subject as to why I feel the creators of this movie showed artistic license. In reading Moe Howard's book, Moe Howard & the Three Stooges, one can glean facts that aren't in the movie, or were changed by the people in charge of the movie for dramatization. This movie was supposedly inspired by the book The Three Stooges: An Illustrated History, From Amalgamated Morons to American Icons. The funny thing is that this movie's plot is the Three Stooges as remembered by Moe, so it goes against nature to choose a book not written by Moe himself. For instance, Ted Healy's death in this movie was fiction compared to Moe Howard's fact of how they really found out about Ted Healy. I also felt that the movie was rushed in parts. It was a sigh of relief at some points to keep the plot going.

However the biggest scene change I realized (After not seeing it for 12 years), was Jerome Howard. I watched the movie in 2000, then got my own copy of Moe Howard's autobiography. I read that and had to explain to my wife all the differences between what actually happened and what was changed in the movie. I found myself talking throughout half the movie instead of watching it. So to see Jerome Howard sitting in a wheelchair after his career ending stroke and then a tombstone, the plot developed a big hole after reading what happened to Curly after the stroke. The movie set Curly up to be this man that was very unlucky with the ladies and makes it seem like Curly died from the effects of that one stroke.

In real life, Jerome recovered from his first stroke and had a cameo with his two brothers in the short, "Hold That Lion" with his trademark bowler hat. He finally found a woman who treated him well, married her, and they had a daughter together. I'm paraphrasing here, but Curly mentioned that he finally had a purpose in life as a father. It wasn't long after he suffered a second crippling stroke which finally killed him. One book on The Three Stooges speculate that all the blows to the head to both Curly and Larry by Moe is what attributed to them both having strokes.

Anyway, despite the glaring fact that the men portraying the stooges don't look or sound like them at all (Unlike the Farrelly Brothers' stooges in the 2012 tribute movie), it is a nice dramatization that hasn't been attempted on the stooges that I know of. Granted, it certainly isn't a very factual movie, going against what the man himself Moe Howard recollected, but it is something for the non book readers to get a small glimpse at what life could have been like for the legendary Three Stooges family. At least it shows Larry Fine as a separate family, and not a cousin as some are misled to believe.
44 comments26 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2012
I enjoyed this film a lot when it originally aired and still enjoy it to this day. They're may be a few historical inaccuracies (namely stuff about Ted Healy and MGM) but Muppet Movie director James Frawley does a wonderful job recreating the atmosphere of the time periods (1920's-50's) and the cast is superb. The stooges are pitch-perfect, the real stand out's being Michael Chiklis (The Sheild, The Thing from Fantastic Four) as Curly and the Cryptkeeper himself, John Kassir as Shemp. Not only do they perfectly embody the comedic personas, but they bring depth to the characters (or the real people I should say) that you wouldn't expect. The film also nails all the proper emotional beats and really makes you feel for the plight of the Stooges (it took a very long time for them to gain the respect they deserved.) I'd say it's definitely a must see for die-hard Stooge fans.

As for the product itself, I was a little apprehensive at the idea of ordering what is essentially a high end DVD-R, but I was pleasantly surprised in the end. I had no problem getting the dvd to read in my semi old player, and I was very impressed with the picture quality. You might thing it looks a tad to smoky at times, but the film always looked like that and the dvd is presented in widescreen, which is a big plus because I don't recall that being the case with it's original broadcast. I do wish it had some supplemental features and it is a little weird that the movie starts right up instead of the menu screen, but overall I am very pleased with the product an will continue to purchase from amazon's made to order catalogue.
on December 10, 2012
This is a good movie, not great or fantastic, but good and wholesome, as well as being an informative movie. There are a few Australian Actors in this movie, and I suppose being an Aussie myself I'm probably bias in my review. However the actors who play Moe, Larry and Curly do an excellent job, and I would have to state here that I am a big Michael Chiklis fan, and love everything he has done to date, but having said that Michael Chiklis does an extremely believable and realistic Curly that makes you love him for his effort in portraying the part of Curly, and therefore you end up loving the movie. I first saw this on TV years ago, and have never forgotten it, and when I saw it available on DVD I jumped into action and bought it. One thing I should mention is that this is one of those DVD's on demand types, as the playing side of the disc is coloured purple, but the print side of the disc is made quite well and has a plastic art print on the top of the DVD. Nothing wrong with the entire package, as it is presented well, and most of all works well on any DVD player. Here is what is written on the back cover:- In 1959, a TV executive tries to persuade Moe Howard (Paul Ben-Victor, TV's "In Plain Sight") to reunite with his former onscreen partners to publicize the television premiere of a package of Three Stooges classic comedy shorts. Howard flashes back on his long and remarkable career with Shemp (John Kassir, TV's "Tales from the Crypt"), Larry (Evan Handler, TV's "Sex and the City") and "Curly" (Michael Chiklis, TV's "The Shield"). Success proves to be a bumpy road fraught with bad deals, poor health, rocky relationships and group disharmony. The movie is based on the book "Amalgamated Morons to American Icons, The Three Stooges" by Michael Fleming. In this movie you'll see a side to Shemp that I myself haven't seen anywhere else in any other movie, and I'm a pretty huge Three Stooges fan. Anyway I think that if you are a serious fan of The Three Stooges and you don't have this movie in your collection, you'll be happy to view this movie and even view it again later on and perhaps again on other times, if you have the time that is. I've given this movie a 5 star rating because to me it and the packaging has no flaws.
A great, loving, [made for TV, by a devoted fan] bio --- with re-created scenes from their short-subjects, of course ---
of "the boys" that we all grew up loving in the late '50s... which led to their re-emergence into full-length features.

Watch this along with the new: The Three Stooges [Blu-ray]
on March 17, 2015
I watched this many years ago when it was a special on TV. It was a good presentation on the history of the Three Stooges and how they got screwed over again and again in show business. First by Ted Healey and later at Columbia Pictures by Harry Cohn and again when Screen Gems syndicated their shorts for television.

After watching this, it's interesting to see these actors pop up again and again on other TV shows; Evan Handler was on several episodes of The West Wing, Michael Chilis on The Shield, The Commish, Vegas, Fantastic Four. Paul Ben-Victor on In Plain Sight, The Wire and now Allegiance.

Great show to watch
on June 20, 2014
I remember seeing this movie on TV back in 2000, and had only recently thought about scouring the internet looking for a DVD release. Was so very glad to find this DVD-R available. No special features,just a bare-bones disc, but that's all that's really needed for this extraordinary biopic, which was far, far better than the recent theatrical film. The actors creating these iconic characters are all extraordinary, especially Michael Chiklis who absolutely channels Curly. The degree of detail in recreating so many of their classic routines is incredible..kudos to director James Frawley Look out for a great many highly emotional scenes that you may not expect, either. All in all, a very emotionally satisfying tribute to the legend of The Three Stooges!
on November 1, 2012
The film is not bad. However there are several holes in plot development and liberties taken that fictionalize rather than stick with fact. Some of the scenes made cliches of the characters. Events and details surrounding the demise of Curly and Shemp are missing. I thought that Moe being portrayed as a gopher for the studio boss at the beginning was interesting...can anyone confirm this as fact? Joe Besser was left out entirely. I did think that the transition to Joe DeRita was handled well. It did have some good scenes but overall I was not overly impressed. I received a hand written letter from Moe himself in the early 1970's who explained that he was in the process of writing a book about the Stooges which turned out to be pretty good. I wonder if Moe would have liked this film?
on September 3, 2013
If your a Three Stooges fan and do not want to know the real facts of the Three Stooges then this DVD is the perfect film for you. Its not the actors fault. They portrayed the individual stooges the best way they could. The film was based upon the factually inaccurate book The Three Stooges an illustration guide. The quality of this dvd was fair. This dvd was adapted was from the 2000 TV movie which was directed by Mel Gibson. Gibson has proven over and over again that he is an anti-Semite which is ironic because except for Curly Joe Derita, they were all Jewish. If you want to know and enjoy The Three Stooges watch all 190, shorts and read some factual books on them like Pop Culture Legends, The Three Stooges by Mark and Ellen Scordato sold here on Amazon.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
I am not a big fan of the Three Stooges, although I enjoyed "Snow White and the Three Stooges" years ago, but I viewed this movie on television and was honestly touched by it. It is an excellent bio of the men, and the actors all did fine jobs giving the characters the life and depth which you do not see in their comedy bits. I thought it might be cheap or phony, but it was very well done, and it was interesting to learn the ins and outs of the careers and personal lives of the four men (brother Shemp Howard filled in for Curly when he became ill). Even if you aren't particularly enthralled with the Stooges I think you will like this movie, and if you do like them you will love this movie!
on July 29, 2012
I originally recorded this TV movie on VHS tape when it aired in 2000. I skipped the commercials as best I could, but it was not perfect. It took a long time before I could find this movie on DVD, 12 years! The actors do a great job of portraying the Stooges. It is a touching and humourous film. I highly recommend it, especially if you didn't happen to see it when it aired on TV in 2000. It is a must for any Stooges collector! I also highly recommend the "Ultimate Stooges Collection" now on sale featuring pretty much all of their endeavors. That too is a good buy.