Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Tin Star
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.38

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 11, 2007
This was an excellent M/M erotic romance. Cowboys aren't usually my favorite, as they are so overdone. However, Langley manages to make this story fresh. Jamie and Ethan are a good couple, and the problems they face in their relationship, with family, society, and work, are realistic and often sad. The sex is frequent and steamy (explicit) without being repetitive.

There are a couple of things in the story that stood out as being particularly well done. First, there is Jamie's older brother's relationship with Ethan. John is straight, and has known Ethan was gay for years--and they are still friends. Holy Moly, Batman! It's nice to see a straight male character that isn't bigoted, or has secret homosexual leanings. John is a well-developed secondary character who takes part in the story. Second, I like the fact that Jamie and Ethan have known each other for years. Since Jamie is 11 years younger, their relationship was necessarily different in the past. This makes their new found emotions more poignant. It's not the typical love at first sight--more like seeing possibiltiies that have been right before your eyes the entire time.

Hot sex, touching romance, a plot with some depth--I will definitely read more from this author. Thankfully, The Broken H, the next in this Ranch series, is finally available. And, I love the cover art!
on November 17, 2006
The previous reviewer comments the romance is based on physical attraction but this is M/M erotica romance. Of course sex is the driving force! I do not expect or accept anything less. However Tin Star is not just sex. There is a solid plot and engaging characters and the lovers' relationship does evolve though more at the physical level which is where the fun is. And what is hotter than 2 cowboys/ranchmen in love! I read this first as a e-book from Loose ID and have no qualms about purchasing it in good old fashion paperback. In the past few months more M/M eroticas are available in print and I hope Torquere Press and Loose ID will continue to keep the printing machines busy. Now if only Changeling Press/Amber Quill Press/Samhain/Ellora's Cave will join in!
VINE VOICEon July 13, 2009
Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Very likeable characters: Ethan and Jamie are both sexy, caring, and selfless. They're comfortable with each other and share a nice, easy banter back and forth. And I liked the supporting characters also, especially Jamie's brother and Ethan's aunt; they're loving, supportive, and funny.
- One character who's a virgin but who (realistically, I think) is curious enough about sex to have bought and used toys by himself.
- Pets with cute, funny personalities (as opposed to the puppy in Langley's Without Reservations): a horse that steals things in order to make people chase him, a dog that is protective and playful but not in an annoying way.
- Perfect happily ever after ending. One of the happiest I've read.

CONS:
- The physical relationship moves a little too quickly. Jamie's in awe of Ethan, his idol, at the beginning of the story (not to mention Jamie's a virgin), and Ethan's pretty deep in the closet, so the ease with which they act on their attraction seems odd.
- A bit melodramatic. I couldn't help relating the various close calls in this book (verbal/physical threats, vandalism, gunshots) to the various close calls in Without Reservations. Langley is a fan of drama.
- Some quirky words here and there that I'm sure Langley used in order to avoid repeating certain terms too often, but which served instead to pull me out of the story with a raised eyebrow. "Peepers" instead of "eyes"? (At least 5 times, according to my count.) Hmm.

Overall comments: A good read: sweet romance, hot sex scenes, decent plot (if a bit artificial, at times), humor. This was one of the first 5 m/m romances I read (I've read it twice now; the first time was about 6 months ago), and I still like it even after having read many more since then.
on March 23, 2009
If you are looking for descriptions of hot guys having sex, you've certainly got that in this book. The regular spacing of this activity suggests that this book is meant to be read in short bursts, each punctuated with steamy action (bedtime reading?). Beyond this, the characters are cute cardboard cutouts, with the stereotype of an older guy/younger guy, and short hair/long hair. Don't expect a plot. Any potential threat to the idyllic relationship is quickly disposed of: jealousy is written off in a paragraph, a hot guy is noticed but is gone, no issue arises between the couple where one is liberal and out, and the other is conservative and closeted. The biggest threat is the homophobic violence, but the perpetrator is no mystery, and the events that ensue are almost a footnote.

Still, for hot steamy cowboy sex, it is a fun read.
on May 7, 2014
2.5 in actuality...I don't know. I know everybody else loved this and I'm really glad, but it just didn't really do it for me. It held my interest enough that I finished it, but I wasn't really blown away or heavily invested in the characters.
I liked the characters mostly which exception of obviously the homophobic bastards.
There was hotness which I appreciated
I know I have a problem with ellipses... I know, okay? I can't help it! And the same obsession I have with my ellipses, this author has with the exclamation marks. I'm not judging! I'm just sharing that.
I did like Ethan and Jamie, and John and even Jules. There were some really sweet moments in there. The storyline wasn't bad or anything, it just...I don't know, didn't really do it for me.
I would read more from this author and as I am in the minority here, don't take my word for it and not read it...I seemed to be one of very few that didn't 4 or 5 star this.
on April 30, 2013
After reading another series by this author I was really excited to jump into this one. I should have known the author would be good enough to change it up and not just have a stereotypical formula for her books. Tin Star is a simple story. Not a lot of hard core angst and what there is is dealt with pretty quickly, mainly due to the MC's personalities. It never drags and the sex scenes are hot and surprisingly funny at times!

Jamie Killian's dad threw him off their ranch when he announced he was gay. At 21 Jamie was tired of hiding who he was and didn't want to live a lie. Unfortunately, this is Texas and they aren't always the most forgiving of people. Luckily for Jamie his older brothers best friend, Ethan Whitehall, hires him on and lets him live there. Now Jamie's had a crush on "straight" Ethan ever since he was a kid. Doesn't matter that Ethan is 11 years older. Once Ethan reveals that he's gay, too, all bets are off.

Jamie and Ethan's relationship starts off much quicker than I thought it would. I had assumed that this would be a lot of back and forth denial, etc. I am so glad I was wrong. That is part if why this book surprised me. Everything comes together simply and easily but definitely doesn't detract from the story. The author has written it in a way that you're not thinking to yourself "oh, this is ridiculous, that would never happen."

I loved the fact that even though there were plenty of people who had something to say about the "gays" - there were plenty who either didn't care and loved them no matter what, or couldn't understand it necessarily but didn't care either way. All in all this was a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
on July 27, 2012
I have read many books from this author but the other ones I read was the werewolf books so I was not sure what to expect. I was not disappointed at all. This was a beautiful well written story for any genre you are into. I am a 38 year old mom who never read m/m books before I happened to stumble on this amazing author when I was looking for werewolf books. I had read all of them so decided to read this series also because of the great stories and I am glad I did.
on February 9, 2015
Re-read
This was one of the first cowboy m/m books I ever read and holds a special place in my heart.
I love Jaime as a character, his happy personality is great to read. Although with his personality no one likes to see him down which leads to information being kept from him in the hopes of not upsetting him. Watching him step up to the plate when needed was great.
I also enjoyed the relationship between the two MCs
on October 26, 2014
Today I posted two bad book reviews and feel like I should contribute some positive words to the world. So here they are.

I like this book. I really like this book. It's light, and fast, and there's a bit of insta-love (stuff like <paraphrasing> 'why did I never notice he was so handsome?') but it's good. Everything flows well, the plot makes sense, and I cared about the characters. I'd even purchase a book about the older brother, who is not gay, and I rarely read het romances. I've reread The Tin Star twice, which is also unusual for me. I'm not going to gush, as if it changed my life, but when somebody asks me for a first romance book recommendation, this is always the one I give.

The Tin Star is solid, fun, and well-written. I highly recommend it.
on February 22, 2015
It is said that one never forgets the first time. I was totally unaware of M/M romance novels until a friend told me of this book shortly after my partner of decades had died back in 2009. I bought the paperback edition and read it in a little over two days as time permitted. I thoroughly enjoyed Jamie and Ethan, Jamie's siblings, John and Julie, and Ethan's aunt. I loved the characters, the setting and the plot. HIghly recommend this book.