Customer Discussions > The Savage Detectives: A Novel forum

The Title is an error.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2008 9:00:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 28, 2010 9:20:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2008 5:33:53 PM PDT
Doesn't "salvajes" work for both "wild" and "savage"? Couldn't Wimmer mean "savage" in the primitive sense: not that these people are violent and mad, but more as they were the start? You know?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2008 12:41:10 PM PDT
Luna says:
You're absolutely right. And that is the joy of literature. That it can mean one thing or another entirely, depending on the reader's perspective. Although there are occasions when translations can hurt (as in causing pain). For example, I believe Saramago's "The Double" should have been "The Duplicated Man" or something to that effect. Basically because at the end of the novel the double has a double so the original was duplicated, not doubled. And in The Historian. I saw it in Spanish as "La Historiadora". Boy did this pain me. The ambiguity that exists in the English (who is the historian? The woman? Her father? Dracula?) is lost in translation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2008 11:03:16 AM PDT
For someone studying literature, you seem to have a very limited understanding of langauge.

The way "savage" is used here - and the way Bolano used the word in a lot of his writing and speaking - doesn't necessarily mean "brute" or "violent." It means "primitive" or, more accurately, "unrefined."

Translating "salvajes" as "savage" was the proper choice.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009 3:34:58 PM PDT
I have no opinion on the title, as I have an extremely limited understanding of Spanish. However, Mr. Whitney, I would be interested in reading anything you've written on the novel, now one my absolute favorites. No idea how to get in touch with someone through Amazon, but if you're reading this, post a reply, and we'll make it happen. Peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 7:34:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 8, 2010 7:36:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:06:40 PM PDT
Rosy Hugener says:
I am From Mexico City and I read the book is Spanish. I thing he was meaning: "wild" (That you do crazy things) and NOT "unrefined". Like wild dancing or Savage dancing. We usually use the term "Salvage" for our driving in Mexico City. Anybody else agree?

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:14:46 PM PDT
Rosy Hugener says:
I thought about something better. We use "salvage" for a person that swims with sharks with an open cut, or walks in winter in Alaska without a shirt. ...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Savage Detectives: A Novel
The Savage Detectives: A Novel by Roberto Bolaño (Paperback - March 4, 2008)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (153)