5.0 out of 5 stars Lead by example, May 1, 2012
This review is from: The Titleless Leader: How to Get Things Done When You're Not in Charge (Paperback)
I think we all know that we need to lead by example, not throw blame and accept responsibilities for our actions. Ms. Russell shares her thoughts on how we can be the best employee,and team leader we can be. She proves that it is totally up to each individual to take a stand on what they feel is the right thing to do to make a company grow and to be a desirable place to work. How to be inspirational to your co-workers.

We spend an enormous amount of time at work, why not make it the best possible place to be? Her winning philosophies are to be admired! Great book, thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars New paradigm for leaders, July 9, 2012
Coming from a software development background with self-organizing teams; this book is spot-on. Innovative businesses seek this type of leadership. Command and control mentality businesses oppose these leaders. When the rubber meets the road, titles are useless. Everyone has the capability to contribute to the business goals and lead the team towards them. Every scrum-master should add this book to their collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, December 21, 2012
Well written, useful suggestions for anyone who wants to build a team and get things done in their sphere of influence. My only issue - if I had a do-over, would buy this as a hard-copy book as there are so many passages that I want to reference and quote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Titleless Leader, November 13, 2012
I think this book is excellent for workplace advice. I have already given it out as a gift. I intend to give to other individuals that strive to excel in their careers. The advice is simple, elegant, and profound. After 35+ years in the workplace, I find the book spot-on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really get things done, August 16, 2012
A well written, easy read that helps the average person to get things done. Touches briefly on change management.

Enjoy it. It is a great book with many great ideas.

Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars Lider Sin titulo, February 2, 2013
BUen Libro, llego al correo de mi domicilio y no hubo ningun inconveniente en el envio y la entrega, muchas Gracias.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Titleless Leader: How To Get Things Done When You're Not In Charge, June 6, 2012
Review written by guest writer Jason Parnes

Nan S. Russell's, The Titleless Leader, self-help book comes loaded with an array of well-placed inspirational quotes, anecdotes, and speeches. Russell evidently chose quotes that spoke directly to her. Her authentic approach and perfect placement of these positively affirming musings allowed me to feel the words of the page crawling beneath my skin. Russell mentions that she can be a perfectionist at times. Her strives for perfection can clearly be seen based on how well the borrowed words and writings intertwined with her ideas discussed. My boss, Jim Estill, enjoyed her anecdotes as well. He reiterated Russell's story to some of the staff about a man who witnessed a lumberjack trying to cut down a tree. The man minded his business, watched the lumberjack struggle from afar, and the man went on with his day. The next day the man saw the lumberjack at the same tree. Little progress was made from the day before. The man said, "Try sharpening the blade." The lumberjack replied, "No time." I will let you assess the lumberjack's intelligence.

I know that Russell would be a great employee at any company. However, Russell is currently living in the mountains of Montana. She is spending her time writing. She is not looking to work for me. Therefore, her two hundred thirteen-page advice book requires all of the responsibility that comes with adapting the positive changes she outlines to fall on the reader. The "winning philosophies" she often discusses are great and inspiring, but to expect a person to employ them on his or her own is a daunting task.

The reader will not leave having learned more about or, at the very least, reaffirmed his or her own behaviors. Without the proper mentor or guidance, I believe that most individuals will justify his or her behavior as selfless or positive solely based on reading the book. People often justify their actions to see themselves in a more positive light. There is nothing wrong with that, but it can be too empowering. I believe the book only works for people who believe and already try to practice Russell's outlined philosophies. Her egoless banter will speak to the souls of some and be rejected by the minds of others. So, similar to a conflicting political discussion, no side is winning much of anything in the majority of chapters within The Titleless Leader. The egoless ones will continue feeling enlightened and the egomaniacal folks will continue putting himself or herself conveniently first.

One concept that I believe can apply to everyone is Russell's idea of notice mode. Notice mode is the idea of taking a figurative or literal step back and picturing oneself in a third-person perspective while in the workplace environment. I have taken a similar approach in other walks of life before and felt my self-awareness skyrocket. I will heed her advice and implement a third-person perspective in the office as well, because, as Nietzsche once said, what does not kill me, will make me stronger."

Many of her borrowed quotations spoke to me as well. A particular self-alignment quote I appreciated was one Russell borrowed from Jim Henson. While speaking about parents and children, Russell points out that the following quote applies in the workforce too. "They don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are," said Jim Henson. As I continue with my internship, most of my coworkers will believe I have very little to teach them. They may be correct in this assessment. I am around the same age as them, or much younger, and have very little work experience relative to most of the working world. However, I will look to carry myself in a way that assures my coworkers that if a situation ever presented itself, than I would be willing and ready to contribute to the best of my abilities. In that sense, I will have taken on Russell's role of becoming a Titleless Leader and her book would have been worth the read.

The Titleless Leader is not for every employee. If a reader can bring an open mind, feels enlightened by the idea of an egoless self, or is looking to increase consciousness, The Titleless Leader is for you. If the reader thinks spirituality and philosophy are a bunch of hooey, than I suggest passing on this book. Regardless, the ideas presented in the story are extremely difficult to implement without incredible self-discipline or an exceptionally patient mentor.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need Position Power, August 23, 2012
This is a very important and timely book. We all need to develop the tools, character, and mindset to lead and make a difference when we don't have position power. Real leaders don't need a title. Nan Russell presents the concepts in a very clear, concise, and convincing way. She uses fresh, up-to-date stories, examples, and antidotes. She provides many actionable steps you can take to be a more effective leader.

Grab your highlighter because there are many points you will want to go back to and think about. Some of the points I highlighted include:

* We confuse communicating with understanding and silence with listening.

* Gallup Research punctuates this understanding: "The most effective leaders are not well-rounded at all, but instead are acutely aware of their talents and use them to their best advantage." In fact, they found, "those who strive to be competent in all areas become the least effective leaders overall."

* A mentor to Nan said--"Stop trying to be the one with answers," she said. "Ask the right questions. Then listen, staying open to the possibilities, ideas, and experiences others bring."

* Act like a two-year old. No, not the tantrum twos, the curious twos. Start asking why. Be interested in why people do what they do, why they make the decisions, they do, why they draw the conclusions they do, why they do the work they do... you get the point.

* Find the people you want to work with and create a role for them based on their individual talents and experiences.

* But the different between being for something versus against something is significant. When you're for something, more backbone is needed, more independent thinking is required, more integration between who you are and how you operate is necessary.

* I start each day with something new; a quotation, a new Website, a new route to work, a new talk radio station in order to spark my curiosity.

* When we view others' success, we often miss their failed choices, struggles and disappointments. It took 104 rejections before Chicken Soup for the Soul found a small publisher to say yes.

* In the words of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, "We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise we harden."

* James Surowiecki in The Wisdom of Crowds points out, "The real paradox of group intelligence is that groups are smartest when everyone is acting as much like an individual as possible."

* It doesn't matter the role you're in, you can operate with trust, offer compassion, deliver poised and dependable responses, and inspire hope and optimism in those you work with and around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service!, August 11, 2012
Received the book sooner then expected...so I was very happy about that and will use this company in the future for ordering more products and books. It's a great book too!

The Titleless Leader: How to Get Things Done When You're Not in Charge