5.0 out of 5 stars Toddlers Bible Won't Collect Dust on Your Bookshelf
One of my children's favorites for the last 5 years! This book is simple enough to be your child's first exposure to Bible stories, and open enough for older children to enjoy: even though the stories are very short, older children love to hear me expound with more and more detail on the same stories they've loved since they could barely talk.
Published on January 31, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too little detail, even for toddler stories
Published on March 7, 2009 by Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddlers Bible Won't Collect Dust on Your Bookshelf, January 31, 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect for young children!!, January 24, 2001
This wonderful collection of short Bible stories is a great way to begin teaching the scriptures. Each story is exactly four pages long, with just a few simple words on each page and delightful pictures which are each worth additional discussion. I also work with children with autism and other learning disabilities and I always recommend it to the parents of those children. Our own family copy is well-worn, but we're hoping it makes it finally through boy #3!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Toddler's Bible, August 23, 2001
Stacy Whisler (La Mirada, California United States) - See all my reviews
The Toddler's Bible content is perfectly worded for the vocabulary of my 21 month old son. There are just a few sentences on each beatifully illustrated page so I am able to finish reading and then have him turn each page. It is a wonderful start to sharing the Bible stories with our son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Teaching Tool, January 28, 2007
I bought this Bible shortly after being named director of my church's Toddler Nursery. The Nursery had just been created, and, unfortunately, it was being treated more as a babysitting service than an opportunity to teach our little ones. The Toddler's Bible helped us to change that.

Beers divides the Bible into a series of very short stories, and I use one each week to teach a toddler Bible lesson. The story is read to the toddlers, and a Bible verse, questions and games follow. This Bible is really useful to me as a starting point for lessons, and it's made it possible to call our program a Toddler Church instead of a nursery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bible for toddlers, January 30, 2012
Matthew Guevara (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Here are five things I love about this children's Bible:
Brilliant artwork: When you glance at The Toddler's Bible cover, you'll immediately be struck by the vivid illustrations created by Claudine Gévry (click here to visit Claudine's personal website). These illustrations will quickly draw young readers into the story.
Interactive: When you read The Toddler's Bible aloud, you'll notice an ebb and flow of interactive language specifically and intentionally written for the 2-3 year old child:
Shhh. Do you see the baby? This is baby Jesus.
Shhh. Do you see the animals?
Baby Jesus is sleeping in a manger.
[Excerpt from Baby Jesus]
Bible references: While each story is written in developmentally appropriate language, the Table of Contents includes the source Scripture passages. I love it when children's Bibles do not seek to replace Scripture, but point people to it.
Author introduction: I had the privilege of spending some time with the author, who lives about five minutes from my house. Even though I have spent the better part of the last ten years ministering to kids and families, "Gil" took me to school on toddlers. His introduction to The Toddler's Bible is a helpful guide for parents and teachers.
Learnings: At the end of The Toddler's Bible there is an outline of the attributes of God that children learn from immersing themselves in God's Word. I love this overt admission that the Bible reveals more than historical events, it tells us who God is.

Awesome Bible for toddlers!

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too little detail, even for toddler stories, March 7, 2009
Dawn "Dawn" (MN United States) - See all my reviews
We received this as a baptism gift. We put it aside, since the baby was newborn, and when our child was two years old, we pulled it out. The stories are so incredibly short, they hardly even make sense. Literally about eight lines (under 40 words) each, and a portion of that is often something like, "Do you think God helped him?". I put it back on the shelf and came onto Amazon to shop. Growing up, I had the classic "The Children's Bible: The Old Testament, The New Testament by Rev. Joseph A. Grispino, Dr. Samuel Terrien, and Rabbi David H. Wice", and this is just far too simplistic. I am looking for something with a lot more depth. Don't waste your money on this, you can create better summaries yourself on the fly!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's our bedtime routine!, August 18, 2005
My 3 y/o daughter loves the stories and enjoys looking at the pictures. She enjoys it so much that it's become her bedtime routine. She won't let me put her to bed till I read her her bible stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Dull, Very Thorough, Theologically So-So, November 13, 2012
MileStones (Central Coast, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Toddler's Bible (Hardcover)
So, I was really hesitant about how many starts to give this book. I really wanted to like it for several reasons, but there are a few nagging points I couldn't let go.

PROS:
- The stories were simply written, appropriate for the audience (1-3 year olds).
- The book is good at explaining harder topics without lying, ignoring, or mutilating the story. For instance, Joseph is in prison because "someone lied about him." Many other story bibles would ignore how Joseph got to prison, or include the story of Potifer's wife, but mutilate it with poor writing or half-truths about her trying to "kiss" him or ask him to "be like my husband" etc. This book handled it well I thought.
- Each story does have a scripture reference listed, but I couldn't find it at first. They are not in the stories (usually under the title or something), but rather they are listed in the Table of Contents with each story.
- I love that there are discussion questions built right into some of the stories. (I REALLY wish this were true of every story, rather than just a handful.)
- This is a very thorough selection of stories. One of the most thorough I have seen for this age group. There are 100 stories, where most toddler story bibles are around 30 stories.
-The pictures are good. They are full page spreads, vibrant colors, not too cartoonish. As to the authenticity or ethnicity I could not speak (however, I will say that I thought some of the people looked like they might be Caucasian).
- I loved the indices at the back. There is one index which lists the stories by doctrinal truth being taught (such as God Made Everything, Jesus Loves Us, Jesus Wants Us to Follow Him, etc.), and one index which lists the stories according to character trait being taught (such as Brave, Faithful, Forgiving, Sharing, Thankful, etc).

CONS:
- Theologically it is pretty mainstream, though I didn't appreciate a few of the interpretations and commentaries. For example, Abraham "was sad when he saw other children" (page 36). And on page 22 it says that Satan tempted Adam and Eve, where the scripture says it was a serpent, and most people *interpret* that as being Satan.
- Some people might say that this book was a little light on emphasizing sin and punishment. I wasn't wholly unsatisfied on this point. I like that it included The Fall, it included where the Israelites worshiped the golden calf, where some story bibles ignore these. However, some of the stories came across a little... pc. For example, after Jacob stole Esau's birthright, he didn't run for fear of his life, rather he "went on a trip" (page 56). And the story of Jacob's ladder is included, but makes no mention of the struggle with God, but just says that he had a dream, and God and Jacob say they will do good things for one another (page 56).
- The writing was so-so as far as being engaging. I thought it a little on the dull side. But I suppose you can have a poetic story bible written by an artisan, and on theologically shaky ground, or you can have a slightly dull story written by professor or pastor types that is theologically pretty sound, but lacking flair - ha (Example, in the story of the golden calf, page 115, "Moses was angry at these people. 'Follow God, not this statue,' he said. Some people listened to Moses. They followed God. That made them happy." Can you hear Moses' anger? haha)
- I thought that they could have done a better job making the stories connect- flow. For example (page 76) we have the Hebrew slaves who had many beautiful children, and the king did not like that, so he planned to hurt them. Then in the next story we have Moses and he's been hidden because "some bad men want to hurt him." This could've been better connected by saying that he was one of the Hebrew children that the king wanted to hurt. A simple connection lost. Another example is the story of David. There are a couple of stories of David's childhood, with pictures of a young boy, and then you turn the page and it is a story of King David, pictured as a man (page 162), it wasn't entirely clear that it was little David all grown up. How about, "when David grew into a man, God made him king of the Hebrews!" Eh. I guess that is another result of the lack of creativity.

All-in-all I think this book is an improvement to some of the theologically shaky story bibles floating around (but I still have some reservations with the *interpretations*), and I love how thorough it is in its story selections. Its a good, fairly solid choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Skews Stories, May 25, 2012
This review is from: The Toddler's Bible (Hardcover)
I'm well read in the Bible and many of these simplified stories add things, take things out, and sometimes completely make things up. This is not a good kid's Bible. I don't think it's ok to change the story of the Tower of Babel and leave out that God confused their language, or to say in Abraham's story that every time he saw a child he was sad because he didn't have a child of his own. This book is very much one man's isigesis.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY simplified, February 22, 2007
This is a book of *very* simplified Bible stories. My 22-month-old son has a pretty good attention span, and I think he would prefer stories with a bit more information. However, if you want the story of Joseph, for example, to be told in 2-3 sentences, this is the book for you!

The Toddler's Bible
The Toddler's Bible by V. Gilbert Beers (Hardcover - February 1, 2012)
$16.99 $14.52