Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

This little Ready-to-Read book is a Level One, which means according to the publisher that it is for those children who are "Starting to Read". As that is somewhat vague I went and looked up the Accelerated Reading [AR] description. "The Tortoise and the Hare" is listed as a 1.0 book, or essentially one for new first graders who are just beginning their school year.

Some text follows so you may judge for yourself:

Hey! Look at me!
Look at me run.

I can run faster than you, Squirrel.
Faster than you, Fox.

Faster than you, Bear.
Faster than you, Mouse.
I can run faster than anyone.

Four Stars. Good Read-aloud. Classic story that is nicely retold. Okay artwork. In my opinion, not a book for a true-beginning reader, but certainly my recently turned 5 y.o. son can read it. AR level 1.0.

~Reviewed by Pam T~
VINE VOICEon May 11, 2008
This is the version of the story with which I grew up. Ms. Stevens not only adds adorable and detailed pictures, but stretches out the story to include some characterization and subtle humor that even the adults will appreciate. The illustrations show so much expression, and the writing is full of personality. Great kids' book.
on January 15, 2014
I bought this version of The Tortoise and the Hare as opposed to the many others out there because this one was recommended by My Father's World for the kindergarten curriculum. It was okay, and my kids had fun acting it out, but I had to skip a lot of words every time I read it because the comments that the hare made were so over-the-top negative. I wish I'd picked a different one. This has been relegated to a out-of-the-way bookshelf in our house and will likely find it's way into the giveaway pile in the near future, despite our family still having more young kiddos who would otherwise be able to appreciate a story like this.

Try a different one; this one is too negative.
on October 22, 2006
A hasty Hare relentlessly bullies a shy Tortoise, "By the time you finish picking those spring flowers it will be winter . . . By the time you get there, the stores will be closed." A reluctant Tortoise (pulling his head inside his shell) is encouraged by his friends to accept Hare's challenge to a race and they help him get in shape. Tortoise maintains his pace while Hare races ahead. Indulging in a series of breaks that include snacks, the overconfident Hare falls asleep and is awakened from a dream of his victory to find the crowd cheering for his opponent.
on November 6, 2000
This book is mostly about a race between a Tortoise and the Hare. The Hare is favored to win by everyone even the Tortoise, but the Hare refuses to take the race seriously. Will the lack of confidence allow the Hare to win? Will the Hare just blow-out the Tortoise? Will the Tortoise shock the Hare and win? Get this exciting book to find out.
on September 23, 2003
The book is about a tortoise that was slow at everything. The Hare who thought it was funny teased him every day. One afternoon, Hare said that he could beat him in a race. With the encouragement from his friends, Tortoise said, "Yes." The race was great, but your going to have to read it to find out what happened. This book teaches children that if you work smart it can be better then working hard. I would recommend this book for kid's ages 4-12 because kids below would not understand, and kids over would think it is childish. I think this was a great book for kids.
on May 16, 2010
My daughter loves this book about a bullying, boasting Hare that teases a slow turtle. My daughter seems to enjoy the color illustrations very much.

When the modest turtle is pressured into a race with the hare, the two square off in a test of speed. The hare is much faster than the turtle, but his ego gets the better of him as he stops to sleep during the race. The turtle keeps going slow and steady and eventually wins the race.

As a parent, I highly appreciate the books values against boasting over oneself. I hope you give the book a try.

Darien Summers, author of The Mischievous Hare, a children's tale.
on March 31, 2005
This book is about a Hare that would make fun of a Tortoise for being so slow. One day the Tortoise was with his friends and the Hare came and teased the Tortoise agian. Then the Tortoise's friends incurage him to race the Hare the Tortoise agreed. The Tortoise's friends help him get in shape for the race. The race day the Hare started fast and went ahead he fell to sleep and the Totoise past him. The Tortoise won the race because he kept on trying.
on April 7, 2005
I think that this book is good for childrens because it has a

very good message it teaches childrens to not make fun of people

because of their characteristics.
on April 6, 2005
I like this book because it was funny how the Tortoise won at the end of the race. I also like this book because the author made a very good idea of the book. I like how she tells that if you keep on trying you will acomplish what you want. That idea is going to help me do better at things and incurage me to never give up. I rate it 4 stars because it was boring at the biging of the book, but i still would like for Janet Stevens to keep doing books like that. Thats what I think about The Tortoise and the Hare.