4.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites
I have read dozens of finance books and this is one of the best. I would put it up there with Automatic Millionaire, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Pirates of Financial Freedom. It isn't perfect though which I will talk about later.

Published 3 months ago by Michael Gates

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good program; awful rhetoric
Published 14 months ago by J. Scheid

4.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites, August 20, 2014

Who is this book for? Everyone can benefit from it, but it is great for married couples and those in their late 20s, 30s, and early 40s. Young adults could benefit tremendously from it, but I'm worried it might not be exciting or fun enough to hold their attention. It's not really meant for retirees.

--- The Good ---

* He says financial freedom is 80% behavior and 20% knowledge which is so important, and he emphasizes this by pointing out there are a lot of broke finance professors.

* There are many real-life success stories of real people which shows his method works, and they also provide inspiration.

* He lays out his seven Baby Steps and makes them simple to understand. He points out that living right financially is not complicated. It may be difficult, but it's not complicated.

* I really liked the quote, "If you worked for a company called YOU Inc. and you managed money at YOU Inc. the way you manage your own money now, would you fire you?"

* The book includes helpful budget forms and worksheet in the back of the book.

* He isn't all gloom and doom. He wants you to have fun and even approves of buying a $30,000 watch, but only after you reach step seven and can afford it.

--- The Not-So-Good ---

* He doesn't go into a lot of detail on how to increase your income. Dave Ramsey is rich because he is a business owner who can make money from his radio show, books, seminars, programs, etc. It would have been great to get his advice on that, but he probably didn't want to overwhelm the reader with too many topics.

* I feel his previous bad experience with debt (he was over-leveraged with his real estate investments) has made him overly zealous on not having any debt. College loans can be very appropriate for some people, business loans can be great in the right situation, and his statement that you should put money toward paying down debt rather than getting the company 401(k) match seemed too extreme to me.

* The book wasn't super entertaining. I found a few parts to be a little dry and repetitive. While it certainly wasn't boring, I wish more money management books would be like the new personal finance adventure novel, but I guess that isn't this book's purpose. Still, there were a couple parts that made me chuckle and he did have some interesting stories.

* He stressed putting 100% of your investments in stock-related mutual funds. First, I feel ETFs are probably better than mutual funds because they are cheaper and won't underperform the market. Second, recommending a 100% stock portfolio to everyone regardless of age, financial goals, or risk tolerance seems risky to me. Plus you wouldn't experience the diversification benefit of owning non-correlated asset classes.

* He doesn't talk about the benefits of setting S.M.A.R.T. goals or having an accountability partner, which have been shown to greatly help people achieve all kinds of dreams.

--- Conclusion ---

Overall it is a very good book with a lot of good advice and inspirational case studies. You certainly won't regret reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a finance manager and I am learning things that I never knew., June 19, 2014
I am very excited to be starting on this journey. I am fortunate not to be buried to deep in credit card debt. I lost all my retirement in my divorce so at 43 I started over with my clothes and the guest bedroom. My previous marriage was all about getting as much stuff as I could because I was so unhappy with my life. Now I am remarried and excited about my life and ready to stop living pay check to pay check making $150k a year. I am learning so much and I had thought so many wrong things about wealth and building a future for myself and my wife.
Thanks Dave for doing a good bit of God's work. I pray every day to allow Him to perform his work through me, a humble servant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Resisting the culture and building wealth, November 30, 2013
E. Ritzema (Bellingham, WA) - See all my reviews
Dave Ramsey has created a successful career out of telling people what to do with their money. I’ve listened to his radio show several times, and I can see why he is so popular. He has a no-nonsense demeanor, and his moral universe seems to have few or no gray areas. You’re either right or wrong, smart or dumb. His personality is perfect for getting people motivated to get out of debt and build wealth. But the ultimate goal for Ramsey is not just to build wealth; it is to become generous and leave a legacy to one’s family and community.

The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition is the fourth edition of Dave Ramsey’s most well-known book; the most recent update before this one was 2009. There are a few minor differences between this edition and the previous one, but they are largely the same. In it, Ramsey takes readers through his baby steps for getting out of debt and building wealth:

1. Save $1,000 fast
2. Pay off your debts in order from least to greatest (the “Debt Snowball”)
3. Finish an emergency fund of 3–6 months of expenses
4. Maximize your retirement investing (15% of household income)
5. Fund your kids’ college education
6. Pay off your home mortgage
7. Build wealth and give

Popular as he is, Ramsey has received criticism from various quarters. This criticism ranges from his specific financial advice to the way he talks about poor people. While I think Ramsey could certainly be more nuanced than he is, I think the criticism of the latter misunderstands who Ramsey’s audience is and what he is trying to do. Ramsey is a motivator. He wants to get people fired up about getting out of debt. His comments about being poor are not intended to be nuanced, taking into account every reason why people might be poor. I think, for example, that he is wrong to generalize that poverty due to oppression is not a first-world problem.

In his moral universe, poverty is something to be escaped. When he talks about poor people, he is not talking about the poor in spirit who will inherit the earth. He is not primarily talking about people who are poor because they are oppressed by people with more power than them. He is talking about the kind of poor people—people who waste money on frivolous spending and servicing debt—that his primary audience doesn’t want to be anymore. His advice to that demographic has helped many of them escape debt and build wealth, and he is (rightly, I think) beloved by them. Ramsey is at his best when he is counseling people to resist a culture of overconsumption. He is at his worst when he makes generalizations about the causes of poverty—as are we all.

Note: Thanks to Thomas Nelson for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Dave Ramsey!, June 15, 2014
This review is from: The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (Hardcover)
I wish every American would read this book and change their lives! Husband and I became debt free at age23 and 24 after attacking debt for a year. We sold over priced cars for modest budget friendly cars, budgeted with cash envelopes and changed our lives. This book is a must have If you want to suceed with money. Slams sales pitches to the ground and gives you all the info on how to be smart with money and take control so you don't have to be broke anymore. dave is right "debt is dumb cash is king! driving expensive cars is nice if you can afford it, and no America making payments on stuff is not "affording it", ITs called being in debt!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected., June 17, 2014
I have listened to Dave Ramsey on the radio and was intrigued by his take on personal finances. I decided to buy the book to see if it gave more detail on his debt snowball theory and guide to personal wealth. I was not disappointed. His style of writing is entertaining which makes this book a quick read. I have started his process, budget is in place and my debt snowball is in the works!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good program; awful rhetoric, October 14, 2013
Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover has soared in popularity (selling over one million copies), especially in tandem with his Financial Peace program. For the most part, it's a fantastic program. I have many friends who have completed either of his programs with much success—and I am delighted to rejoice with them in the transformation! Both the accountant in me and the pastor in me would recommend The Total Money Makeover to family, friends, or congregants who want to take control of their financial lives and, as Dave says, "Live like no one else, [so] later you can live like no one else." This volume includes many testimonials within each chapter, and also includes an appendix of Total Money Makeover worksheets in the back to help get your budget in order and begin your journey toward financial fitness.

Now the accountant in me and the pastor in me also have a few reservations about recommending The Total Money Makeover (or making a wholesale endorsement of any of Dave Ramsey's programs). Some of the Total Money Makeover seems more like it is treating the symptoms rather than treating the disease, even though Ramsey himself suggests otherwise in some of his critiques. For Ramsey, a big part of financial fitness is discipline, and I couldn't agree more. However, on this note one point of departure for me is with Ramsey's stance on credit cards. He says absolutely no; I say if you are disciplined—and yes, Ramsey includes some statistics without citation suggesting that no one is disciplined—let the right cash rewards credit card work for you. I use my credit card for every purchase I make (being disciplined to only make the regular purchases that I would if I had the cash in my wallet), pay off the total balance every month, and reap $400 to $500 of cash back every December. Yet to Ramsey, this is foolish and unwise—though I don't think he would advise to turn down a $400 check from Grandpa George. It is several of these sorts of contradictions in logic that bother me about a full endorsement. Beyond these disagreements, I also found Ramsey's language and style troubling. His rhetoric is inflammatory. He speaks in broad generalities and stereotypes, making too many assumptions. I felt as though he thinks I and every single one of his readers are stupid.

Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and Total Money Makeover have become especially popular in many churches. And while I am glad for the steps taken toward financial fitness, I am not satisfied with how Ramsey's presentation fits with the life of faith. He primarily uses scare tactics (what if you lose your job, have a major medical emergency, and your car break down all in the same week?) and inflammatory rhetoric to make his point. I understand that this isn't a theological reflection on finances and economics, but there's no doubt it is purported to be biblical. And while I do think that stewardship of our financial resources is a spiritual discipline, Ramsey in this book treats only the symptoms, but never the heart of the issue. The Total Money Makeover is far better than not taking responsible steps to be in control of your budget, but I would like for the church to offer something better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, June 15, 2014
This is a very intense book. You're going to have to have a lot of self discipline if you want to follow it. I would suggest every one to read and follow this book. If you follow this book, you're going to have great success becoming debt free! A few years of hard work pays off for a stress free life!

3.0 out of 5 stars The classic Christian guidance book on money, October 9, 2013
Besides the actual Bible, The Total Money Makeover is the financial literacy bible that many Christians follow. I've had my share of debt in my life. I had undergraduate and graduate subsidized student loans. I also had a 30 year mortgage, that my husband and I paid off in 6.5 years- well before reading this book, mind you. My husband also had undergraduate student loans and he took a car loan in college. At this time, we have no debt at all. We own our home, contribute to retirement and college savings funds, own our (new) vehicles, and we donate to charitable causes that are meaningful. We live frugally now so that in the future, we won't be tied down to working forever... or will we anyway, in order to have healthcare? But I digress.

I get miffed with people who won't take responsibility for their financial choices. I've done without a lot of things that everybody else my age seems to feel is essential. I use coupons, buy secondhand clothes, we don't take vacations, I don't go to the salon, and I could go on and on. We do this so we can save for our future, our kids' future, and so that I can stay home with our kids- at this point, my whole paycheck would go to childcare anyway.

Ramsey's advice is good for people who have absolutely no financial sense. It can get them on solid financial footing if they have the self-discipline to follow it. However, it's not going to make them rich. Some of the advice might not even be that helpful, say, if they want to buy a home but have cut up their credit cards and thus have no credit history. I know few people who can pay cash for their home... and I live in Ohio, which is not a pricey place to live.

The book also makes a lot of references to Ramsey's other programs, such as Financial Peace University. I think he's trying to double dip by doing that. The book proclaims to be "total" so *all* the information needed to make over your finances should be here. You shouldn't have to spend another couple hundred bucks to get the rest of the pertinent information.

Also, it's not Biblical to get rich, which is something that seems to be glossed over. The idea that everyone can make a killing by following Ramsey's financial advice isn't accurate, either. There are going to be winners and losers in the stock market. I'm going to pass this book along to a family member who declared bankruptcy a few years ago and is considering doing it again. Maybe it will help the family member get a solid footing on what needs to be done without passing the buck.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for writing a review. I received no other compensation.

2.0 out of 5 stars No budget instructions., October 3, 2014
I learned almost everything in the book from the radio show. I bought the book to answer the question that was stopping me and I never heard addressed: How do I know what to budget for food? I was disappointed to read:

"This isn't a chapter on budgeting; however, many of our budget forms...are in the back of this book."

The forms on Kindle are unreadable and useless. I tried to guess, busted the budget halfway through the month, and chose not to "just say no" to eating. Do not buy this book for budgeting instructions, they are just not there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for some ideas, June 18, 2014
Gary W. Darby (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Dave Ramsey is known for his financial advice. I don't agree with all of it. He touts that "if you can't pay cash for college, you can't afford to go". True, to some degree. He is dead set against borrowing any money... a good philosophy, but not always true. Still, the book is worth the read, and you can always take the info with a grain of salt if it doesn't work for you.

The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness