5.0 out of 5 stars A great cookbook for anyone who loves Trader Joe's!
I have used Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's for going on two years now - hands down it's my favorite cookbook and I use it several times a week. Most of my go-to dishes are from that cookbook. I was thrilled when I read an article about this new one coming out and snatched it up. I really liked the idea of a "portable" cookbook for taking to the store with you -...
Published on October 15, 2009 by Reader Anastasia

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was very disappointed in finding that many of the items suggested in this cookbook, which I just purchased,Trader Joe's no longer carry. At the store where I shop they told me that they often drop items all the time,like tomato chutney. I think people should be aware of this before they buy the book. This is the Trader Joe's companion cookbook.
Published on February 21, 2010 by Gerald R. Lorden

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, April 20, 2010
Carolyn Mohr (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Trader Joe's Companion: A Portable Cookbook (Paperback)
I've made three things from the Trader Joe's Companion and they were all very tasty. I have always loved TJ's Gyozas and the Asian Dumpling Soup was a new, yummy way to eat them. I usually just put chicken in with the masala sauce, but loved trying the Vegetable Tikki Masala recipe. The Enchilada Casserole is also going to become a regular at our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, May 31, 2014
Leslie Berg "resrie7" (st.leonard, md United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book so much I just purchased a 3rd. I am giving them as gifts. The recipes are fabulous and easy. One reviewer stated that Trader Joe's may not carry some of the items anymore, but I feel I can live that. I always modify recipes anyway. Many grocers carry what is popular and what is in that area as well, so I don't see this to be a huge problem. I will be making many of these really soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book, September 8, 2012
This is a handy little cookbook chock full of recipes that are delicious and also easy. It is called "companion",and although it can easily stand on its own, it is even better as a side piece to one of the full size Trader Joe's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, September 11, 2011
It was a present to my niece and she said she loves it being a college student on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent carry-along to Trader Joe's, July 21, 2011
Farnoosh Brock (Prolific Living Inc., USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love this second Trader Joe's book which we added to our collection, with the first one also being by Dean and Wona. This one is a great one to take with you to the store and I read a 1-star review here where she was talking about Trader Joe's not carrying a lot of the stuff mentioned in the book. That's not the fault of the book; it is the nature of how Trader Joe's business operates and they don't stop carrying it for good; they usually bring it back in cycles. Anyway, the recipes are easy enough for someone like me - a total non-chef - to whip together and I do love the art work and the shape and feel of the book. Fits easily into my purse. Thank you for such a great second Trader Joe's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!, February 11, 2010
I love the 1st book. This one is just perfect!! I can't wait to take it to Trader's with me. What a great little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love trader joes, June 16, 2010
consumer1 (Saratoga, California) - See all my reviews
Great book to take along to the store. Inspires me to try new recipes. Bought it for others who also love Trader Joes.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST OF ITS KIND, July 12, 2011
I love Trader Joe's and have either purchased or perused every cookbook in this category. While this one is okay, it is not the strongest.

This is billed as portable, and that's subjective. It's big enough that I would not carry it around or take it shopping with me.

I don't really care for the design- it is plain and easy to follow, but I do dislike cookbooks that do not contain photos of at least some of the completed recipes.

The recipes seem okay, I did not find them inspiring enough to make. Compared to some other TJ's- themed cookbooks, this one does not rely heavily, or make great use of TJ's-specific products. Most of these recipes could be made by those shopping at any reasonably well-stocked grocery- which may be a plus to some, but does not really support the premise of the book.

The extras are not very interesting- a list of TJ store locations is not likely to come in handy- if you're buying this book, you probably already know where your local TJ stores are.

If you love all TJ-s related cookbooks, go ahead and pick this up to complete your collection. If you want to buy just one, I recommend the "I ( heart) Trader Joe's Cookbook" instead.

One last though- a few reviews here criticize the fact that recipes may call for ingredients no longer carried by the stores. This is just a fact of life at TJ's- some products are seasonal and while a product may be loved by you, things get discontinued all the time. This is not the fault of the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 8, 2014
great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good size, December 13, 2009
I like this "to go" version. I also recommend the original, because this book does not have pictures.

The Trader Joe's Companion: A Portable Cookbook
The Trader Joe's Companion: A Portable Cookbook by Deana Gunn (Paperback - Nov. 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01