4.0 out of 5 stars Gangsters of local interest, September 5, 2012
The book will be of particular interest to those living in the Richmond area and Goochland County, Virginia as it deals with "local history" in familiar locations. It will also be of interest for those who enjoy reading about the prohibition era.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Put This Book Down, February 2, 2013
This review is from: The Tri-State Gang in Richmond: Murder and Robbery in the Great Depression (VA) (The History Press) (Paperback)
First let me say I don't read that much anymore unless it has to do with my occupation. I know Sheldon Richardson because as a contractor I do a lot of work for him and that is how I know about the Tri-State Gang as Sheldon did his research he keep me abreast of his research at our infrequent breakfast meetings. I knew how he dug into the history of the Tri-State gang over the years and let me tell you Sheldon did his "due diligence" in researching this book. He made these charcters come alive and you were made to feel like you knew them too. I went out to purchase the book to help a friend and author and promised to read this book this time since I couldn't get through his first one(sorry Sheldon, I read half of it)but this book on the Tri-State Gang was fanastic! I couldn't put it down. I was transported back to 1934. I knew the places Sheldon wrote about since I live in Richmond. It is amazing how a bunch of screw-ups could cause the mayhem that they did. Sheldon brings all that to life in this well researched book.

Anyone who has interest in crime in America would do well to have this book in their collection. Even though it takes place in Richmond, Virginia the story could have been in any part of the country. So those in Seattle, Kansas City or any city will enjoy this book thanks to Seldon's writing style.

I can't wait for his next book now that Dominic Dunn is gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars not so long ago, July 17, 2013
I enjoyed it from cover to cover. It is a "must read" for Richmonders and True Crime enthusiasts. The 1930s were not so long ago. Police radios were non existant in Richmond and the local police force was no match for hardened criminals, male and female. Murder and bravado overpowered the naive people of Virginia. I hope a movie will be in this story's future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-Written, Well-Researched, December 11, 2012
John Nielsen (Midlothian, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Richmond is an historic city, and as a 26-year resident I'm trying to learn more about its past. This book engagingly tells an unfamiliar interesting story and evokes a time (the early Depression years) when the Confederate capital was very different. I recommend it for students of Richmond's past, and for anyone interested in the period's colorful criminals.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book,, January 6, 2013
great read on a somewhat dark part of local history, detailed and well written, lots of bits for the advanced or amatuer local historian.
overall a very interesting read

$19.99 $15.82