2,060 Reviews
 (1,427)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, heartfelt, and real
I actually saw season one of SFU on HBO when it came out, althought I didn't recall seeing ALL of it until I sat down and watched the DVDs this past week.

Published on September 8, 2004 by T. Yardley

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show but problem on DVD 3
I finally decided to watch Six Feet Under once it wrapped up, and am enjoying it thoroughly. However, like the previous reviewer, I noticed a large glitch during "Life's Too Short" on the 3rd DVD. It froze my Pioneer player, and on any other player I have, the scene is marred by a huge glitch. I've tried 2 sets of DVDs, and both have the same problem in the same place...
Published on August 26, 2005 by David W. Bjorne

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, heartfelt, and real, September 8, 2004
T. Yardley (Champaign, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)

I sat down with my boyfriend, who has been putting off watching these episodes since I got them, and within twenty minutes of the pilot he was hooked. We just moved and have no basic cable, so we depend on DVDs during dinner...we spent four nights watching Season 1 and he is now counting down the days until we order the Season 2 set.

SFU is unlike any other show I've seen. Television gets harder and harder to watch these days, saturated with reality tv and repetitive sitcoms. It's hard to find something as refreshing as Six Feet Under to really get under your skin. Alan Ball has a way of making you feel like you know and care about the characters, and you leave each episode feeling like if you don't watch the next, something will happen without you.

The cinematography is what really grabbed me. Each episode is beautiful to watch and is filled with amazing colors and camera angles and sybolism.

But above all else, the cast is what truly holds this masterpiece together. Everyone is so convincing. Whoever decided on the final cast should be rewarded heavily, because I don't think the show would be the same without them. If you watch the pilot episode and then the last episode of the season, you can see an amazing change in every single one of the characters...but it doesn't just happen. They all gradually move toward these new personalitites, strengths, and realizations...and as a viewer you don't even notice it happening unless you look for it. It takes a lot of talent to develop a character that can GROW so seamlessly in one season...much less to find a full cast that can pull it off.

BUY THIS NOW. That is all I can really say. =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly unique television series, December 19, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
Words cannot express how odd, enthralling, and life-affirming "Six Feet Under" is. One would think that a series about a family that owns a mortuary would be morbid, but there are unexpected laughs and a true appreciation for the gift of life that one takes away from watching this first season.
One caveat: I agree with other reviewers listed here that the price for the box set is prohibitively high. A 13-episode season shouldn't warrant [this price]even with the pre-order discount offered by Amazon, the box set is too expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey...no extras, but an INCREDIBLE series!, December 24, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
This is a watershed series in American television. HBO, which has created some of the best written and realisticly in-your-face programming in the history of television (the Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Oz) has re-written what is possible on the small screen with Six Feet Under.
The first season of the series deals with issues such as death, drug use, homosexuality, family alienation, mental illness, divorce, bankrupcy, co-dependency and incest. The amazing part is that it NEVER comes across like a soap opera or ABC Afterschool Special. It is very real, and moving.
Alan Ball, the extraordinary writer of the film "American Beauty" writes and directs this tour de force in television excellence. While this show is not for everyone, if you enjoyed Ball's previous work, you no doubt will love this show as much as the critics and millions of fans have. I think the Sopranos and Six Feet Under are reason enough to get HBO.
Ball creates multi-layered, complex characters for this ensemble cast, and allows them to develop throughout the season. What you see up front is not always what you get in the end.
For the price, I would have liked some extra features, like behind the scenes or a "making of" featurette, or interviews with the stars. Many of those are already available on HBO's website, I don't think it would have killed them to include a little extra for the {price}. However, that being said, you are paying {much} for 13 HOURS of entertainment. That is fairly in line with the 2 hour movie average price on DVD. And this is INFINITELY better than 99.999% of the movies that have come out in the last 10 years.
Buy it, enjoy it, and wait patiently for the next season...coming soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV script ever., February 8, 2004
Amazon Customer (Hyattsville, MDUSA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
Sorry my title mimics that of others, but that's what I've been saying about it for a long time.
Like the Sopranos, this is a series the hype for which I didn't give in to orginally. Then I saw some reviews by one of my favorite Washington Post critics that teased me. So I watched, probably close to half way through the first season. It hooked me instantly.
First, as others point out, the acting is incredible. My spouse and I are wondering each episode who's the best actor. In one of the DVD episodes tonight, I felt it was Frances Conroy (Ruth) who I usually do. I've always been in love with Lauren Ambrose (Claire). All right, I have many friends with daughters older than she. What I mean is, I envy the kid. She's got a great future with her acting talent (and her expressions which will break you up!) The others are all fabulous too. Jeremy Sisto (Billy Chenowith) really does convince you that he's absolutely nuts...a change from his portrayal of Jesus in a TV movie a few years ago! And I've never seen his sister Brenda (God help me, I can't think of the actress's name) slip into her New Zealand accent. Again, they all vie for best actor/actress each episode!
There is an uncannily good mix of humor and drama. That's why I say it beats anything else on the tube. If I thought of getting rid of HBO, it's this series...and maybe The Wire...that would keep me. For months in advance my wife and I talk about the coming season; we can't wait for it.
It's risque without being gross. The gay issue is intelligently handled. Oh, and I've always wondered if Peter C. Marshall (David) and Matthew St. Patrick (Keith) were straight in real life. Among the extra features of the DVD set is that you learn that they are.
Another feature of the DVD set is the discussion among all those responsible for the opening sequence and theme music. Then there's the discussion with cast members as to their favorite scenes. (My favorite is also Lauren Ambrose's, when she's lethargic about being in love. A gem!)
It's a fabulous series that can't be beat. Well, my inlaws wouldn't like it. And don't show it to any of your guests or relatives who are prudes. I got in trouble with some family members at the beginning of one in the second season. And some of the gay scenes while, again, not gross, are threatening to people not accustomed to gay scenes. But it covers oh so many subjects you don't normally see covered...too many to even mention here. The scripts are brilliant, the acting the best. And the added benefits of the DVD series are well worth the cost of the set, in addition to having those superb episodes to watch again and again. They'll never bore you, believe me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought there was nothing "real" left on TV..., November 17, 2003
Jeff (Sussex, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
I mean sure, many would argue that the torrent of reality television we've seen in recent years is the realest thing out there. But I would have to disagree. Outwitting each other off an island is fun, but it's not real life. Neither is living in a mansion that you don't pay a dime on, or seducing the latest millionaire. Perhaps it's just me, but Six Feet Under is the closest thing I have seen to real life on TV. No, I don't live in a funeral home, I never lost a parent, or had sex in an airport. What makes Six Feet Under such a beautiful series is it's intensity, sprinkled with humor and hope. Real life is serious. It's sad. It's hard. But even at our worst moments, life is a gift, it's humorous, and touching, and beautiful. SFU captures this delicate balance wonderfully. This show will make you laugh and cry within minutes of each other. The characters are so bold and alive, thanks to one of the most excellent casts ever assembled for a series. Rachel Griffiths and Lauren Ambrose are my favorites as Brenda and Claire, but every member of the cast shines. Don't get scared off by the uptight reviewers that can't get past the quirk, open your mind, and enter the world of Six Feet Under.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!, November 27, 2002
SC (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
Six Feet Under is one of the most original, well-acted, and emotionally powerful shows available on the small screen today.
Give the first season a chance, I guarantee you will laugh and cry with its charming, problematic characters living against the morbid backdrop of the Fisher Funeral Home. Although the show is set in the perpetually sunny Los Angeles, cinematographers of the show still manage to make LA seem gray, drab, and cheerless. This is not to say, however, that this show lacks in entertainment value.
There's always the side of us that secrely relish the misfortunes of others--perhaps it's not so secret, since that is the foundation of most comedies (ever think why we find the Three Stooges--three fully grown men going through public humiliation and suffering--so funny?). Six Feet Under catches onto this, but imbues with such wit and intelligence that it's impossible not to get attached to the wonderful but slightly insane cast of the show (it also doesn't hurt that the three children of the Fisher Family are very attractive, charismatic people!).
Alan Ball, the writer of the critically acclaimed film American Beauty, continues with his superb style of biting sarcasm and social commentary on Six Feet Under.
So give it a chance and enter the morbidly entertaining world of Six Feet Under!

5.0 out of 5 stars Request HBO for Six feet Under on Blu-Ray here!, August 3, 2010
This review is from: Six Feet Under [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you are obsessed with HDTV, such as myself. Let's get Six-Feet Under on Blu-Ray!

Send a request to HBO to release Six Feet Under on Blu-Ray here:
(Amazon removed the direct link) but you can go to the HBO Shop website, then Shows, then choose Six Feet Under. You will then see a list of Six Feet Under merchandise, at the bottom look for "Can't find what you're looking for?" then click on Suggest a product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a TEN star series!, July 17, 2005
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
This has to be my all time favorite TV show. I am counting the days until season 4 arrives on the shelves and it's been a long, hard wait. This family is the epitome of dysfunction and watching their lives unfold can only make you grateful for your own, hopefully more sane life.

I enjoyed the first season on DVD having never seen it on HBO and I don't think I ever got up to do anything else. I devoured all 13 episodes immediately went looking for season 2.

With its very adult subject matter, this is not a show for kids. Be prepared to get addicted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Feet Under's place in television history, February 17, 2007
This review is from: Six Feet Under: Season 1 (DVD)
I have often heard people say that All in the Family could never be produced today. I think this is true, at least, for network television (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX). All in the Family captures a specific moment in both television and American history. Carroll O'Connor excellently renders the American bigot, Archie Bunker, and puts him up for scrutiny before a live audience. All in the Family was not entirely about political correctness and bigotry, but when you look back at the show, those social forces remain the reasons why it couldn't be produced today.

Six Feet Under, uncensored, would certainly have no chance of being broadcast either. The politically correct imperative of contemporary American culture would sue and complain it to be another "wardrobe malfunction." The malfunction, however, is in the emotional and intellectual dishonesty of most TV shows today, of most mainstream culture today. I think almost all of television is a cartoon. I like Six Feet Under because it is not a does not turn its homosexual characters into the prancing man-boys of Will & Grace. The violence in Six Feet Under is well earned and integral to the drama and comedy of the series. The sex and human relationships in Six Feet Under are complicated and weird, which is completely normal. Mostly, it's refreshing to watch a show that cares about story and character instead of explosions, statutory sex objects, and impossibly melodramatic events.

If All in the Family reflects a political awakening, taught through comedy, then Six Feet Under reflects a response to political correctness. The bigotry that All in the Family responds to is as monolithic and misanthropic as the political correctness Six Feet Under is responding to. Bigotry and political correctness are merely two sides of the same dishonesty; they are rules and codes for human behavior and expression that do not work out in real life. Archie Bunker was certainly not a subtle guy, but his assumptions about people different from him were wrong (and funny). Now, when everything is subtle and on politically correct eggshells, people are no longer honest. That's what Six Feet Under is about to me: We need to relearn how to trust others enough to be honest, and I think Six Feet Under accurately argues that not all honesty is mean, and avoiding confrontation isn't always nice.

In the end, HBO does with Six Feet Under what the networks used to do: Respect the intelligence, maturity, and humanity of the audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Please, May 3, 2011
Robert Clemensen (Lakewood, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Feet Under [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I loved this series and my High Def TV would love it too! Lets get it out on Blu-Ray Please!!

The Trip