5.0 out of 5 stars From the editor of leadingtoday.org, March 22, 2009
Greg L. Thomas (Litchfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
The Tripping Point in Leadership is short, direct and powerful in its brevity. Author David Byrd challenges the reader to accept the fact that change is essential for growth in both individuals and organizations. The enemy of both change and growth is apathy! Byrd defines apathy as "A natural, human instinct, common to us all, that consistently encourages us to seek a comfort zone in which nothing ever changes." He continues by observing, "The cumulative impact of apathy on an organization is stagnation and ultimate decline. I have observed that this decline is inevitable unless counterbalanced with a proactive and consistent leadership development program."

The Tripping Point in Leadership offers a number of wise and common sense solutions to the problem of apathy and its negative effects. The author offers a number of characteristics or "powers" that can help one to break through the barrier of apathy. For example the power of choice enhances our awareness, attitude, action and accountability needed to avoid apathy. Other chapters include a discussion of the power of vision, power of attraction, and the power of courage.

The last portion of the book discusses effective leadership in individuals and in organizations. Byrd stresses the vital importance of having a "proven and consistent leadership development process." He defines an effective leader as the Developer who believes in people, communicates well, uses internal and personal motivation, and shares power. Finally, Byrd believes that excellence and sustainability in an organization occurs when effective leadership is developed at every level.

The Tripping Point in Leadership is a succinct and engaging work. The information is direct and pulls you into the subject. It reminded me of attending an authoritative college lecture. It is good to occasionally cut through the various fragments of leadership and get to the point in a dramatic way. This book does just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The word apathy will never be see in the same light, May 3, 2013
This review is from: The Tripping Point in Leadership: Overcoming Organizational Apathy (Paperback)
David Byrd is an amazing man, coach and mentor. I am lucky to have him working with my company (Nerium International) and lucky that the company recognizes and pays for this kind of high level coaching for its people.

David Byrd is all about next level leadership and our natural human instinct to seek comfort (illusion) in staying the same. This short but powerful book is a must read for the head of any company and for anyone wanting to continue to grow as a person and as a leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!!, March 5, 2008
The Tripping Point in Leadership really fired me up in both my personal and business life. Like all aspiring leaders, I have faced a plethora of challenges in my journey to becoming an effective leader. I never realized that apathy was behind my sometimes ineffectiveness as a leader. Whether it was apathy around me or within me, it was there, but I just noticed the symptoms. This book will help leaders become better leaders and it is a must read for CEO's, VP's, Directors, and even the receptionists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could do better, August 9, 2013
A good book with a strong message but the essence is said and done in the first chapter. Regretfully chapter two is the tipping point and not in a better direction. Still worth four stars for all that and worth the outlay. Just don't expect too much more after you've got the message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this if..., March 14, 2008
Don't read this if you want to be comfortable. David causes us to examine our comfort zones and reach past them.

The old adage of "if you keep doing what you have always done, you will get the results you have always gotten" is proven wrong. If you keep doing things as you always have, you will stop getting what you've always gotten.

You are either moving forward or moving backward - there is no neutral in business today.

David takes this issue head on and gives a clarion call to action!

Must read for every business owner!

The Tripping Point in Leadership: Overcoming Organizational Apathy
The Tripping Point in Leadership: Overcoming Organizational Apathy by David Byrd (Paperback - February 2, 2008)
$11.99 $10.79