5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd half way better than the 1st half
Published on January 25, 2012 by FilmCritic

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum
SLOW -storylines were okay but just drug out. Needed some of the quirkiness of Singles - which was enjoyable and fun.
Published 12 months ago by Vivian D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hum, June 20, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Troubled Love, January 27, 2014
Taheen Lopez (United States- San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Trouble with Romance (DVD)
Director Gene Rhee follows up his award-winning, hilarious The Quest For Length (Sundance 02) with a much different, equally provocative feature film. In this atypical comedy about sex and relationships, THE TROUBLE WITH ROMANCE presents a quartet of vignettes on a disparate group of young adults exploring the challenges and heartaches that come with falling and staying in love. The film stars cast members from SEX & THE CITY , ENTOURAGE , BETTER LUCK TOMORROW, and more.

One hotel and 4 couples offer countless possibilities about sex, relationships and the nature of men and women in this provocative, smart and funny feature-film debut that explores the volatile and unpredictable dynamics of modern-day romance.

Four couples experience the ups and downs of love and all the trappings that go with it that touch the human heart and define any contemporary relationship. A woman thinks she sees her ex-boyfriend during a one-night stand; a wife encourages her husband to enjoy a ménage-a-trois; a man on the verge of proposing to his girlfriend gets dumped; and a young man has an unusual encounter with a beautiful prostitute. With a stellar cast that includes David Eigenberg ( Sex and the City ), Josie Davis ( Beverly Hills, 90210 ) and Kip Pardue (The Rules of Attraction),

THE TROUBLE WITH ROMANCE offers an entertaining glimpse into why when it comes to love men and women will always endure such trouble with romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd half way better than the 1st half, January 25, 2012
Ok. I got to admit, the first half is a little slow and I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. But the second half is really good. It's four different stories that are kind of connected, but I loved the last two. I don't know why they're all so different. But the third had me laughing in stitches. And the last one was very moving. It really stuck with me for a while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Half Tolerable, Half Good, March 3, 2010
The comedic subplots were not particularly funny in my opinion. The opening story featuring Kip Pardue (Jack) was predictable and lasted much longer than it needed to. I was especially looking forward to Pardue's appearance, but it was actually disappointing. He and Jennifer Newsom open the movie in the middle of a hook up. Newsom's character, Jill, can't go through with it b/c she keeps imagining that Jack is her ex-boyfriend. She runs into the bathroom and proceeds to converse with the figment of her imagination for the next 10 minutes. Are you bored yet? I certainly was. The other comedic story featured a couple that had been dating for 3 yrs. It is the day of their anniversary. Jimmy (Roger Fan) makes plans to bring his "homies" with them on their date. This makes Stephanie (Emily Liu) really upset, and she breaks up with him. I won't give much else away, but I can assure you, it only gets dumber and nastier from there. In general, the comedic stories lacked wit. All four stories (the dramas and the comedies) involved a lot of time spent thinking and brooding in bathrooms. The plots of the two dramas were clever and enjoyable. Because they contain a twist at the end, I will say no more. Luckily the movie alternated b/t "comedy" and drama. Had they not be interspersed and had I only seen the comedies first, I would have stopped watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!, March 20, 2009
This is an incredibly entertaining film featuring an amazingly talented ensemble cast. Both hilarious and deeply touching, the stories told are gripping and unbelievably accessible. Anyone who has ever had trouble with romance should watch this!!!! I can't wait to see more from this creative team. Enjoy!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, light and breezy, with something to say about love., March 19, 2009
Some friends who saw this at a film festival recommended it to me and I really enjoyed it. The movie has 4 different stories about love. 2 are comedies and 2 are dramas. At first, I wasn't sure where it was going but after a little bit I really got into it. The second story has a big surprise, the third one is silly but really funny, and the last story leaves you with something to think about. When it was over, I found myself lingering on it for a while. If you like popcorn fare like "Love Actually" or "Sex and the City" then it's worth checking out. If you don't then maybe not so. Steve from "Sex and the City" even stars in this movie and I thought he and the other actors did a very nice job. A couple of the guys are especially cute and one of the girls is just stunning. I read that the movie was made in just 2 weeks for no money but it looked great. I watch a lot of low budget independent movies and this one's a lot more entertaining than most.

The Trouble with Romance
The Trouble with Romance by Gene Rhee (DVD - 2010)
$21.99 $12.95