5.0 out of 5 stars My 3rd favourite novel;one of Avi's greatest
Published on September 7, 2005 by Chelsea Churro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Published on October 25, 2008 by LexiJane

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3rd favourite novel;one of Avi's greatest, September 7, 2005
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
If you are a fan of this novel, it is well known that you have a huge capacity of inner feeling(similar to that of Charlotte). I am twelve and I am a person of such nature. If you hated this book, it is likely that you are a modern, go-along with the crowd type of person that cherishes technology more than anything else. People such as I and fans of this extravagent novel understand Charlotte Doyle and quite honor books like this.

In fifth grade, my teacher read this story aloud to the classroom. I believed almost every soul present was hooked on it, but it turns out that I was wrong. For,once when the story ended the magic was gone. I was the only one who ever spoke of it. I was craving for a sequal(most sequels never are as brilliant and popular as the origanionals and classics), and at the same time craving the origanal to be my own. So I rented it from the library and read it twice again. The same magic entered my mindand absorbed my heart each time. I couldn't get enough of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.

Then the next time I had a chance to buy a book, without a second thought I hurridly hunted Charlotte down, grabbed her gently(while staring into Charlotte's beautiful eyes!), and stode toward the cash register. I read it all again that evening, same magic appeared once more. And just a couple of weeks ago when I started 7th grade, I read Charlotte Doyle once more. I have read it a total of 5 times in 2.5 years(that two and a half!).

Some of you say that it is boring. That may be true, but I believe you are referring to the beginning of the novel. Patience is a virtue. The information is vital later on in the novel. If you read the whole novel through and found naught a single interesting point, no climax or anything at all, THEN I can't explain. I suggest it was because you expected gore, or machine guns, bombs exploding, or a shark attack. Allow me to remind you of the setting-1832-not the 21st century!

As for the author, Avi has written many excellect novels, and has earned a reputation for high standards. I find it absolutely amazing how he captured a perfect mind of a girl like me! Not a girl from the 21st century. No, not a girl that by the age of 7 is thinking about how 'hot' the boy in her class is, or how to cuss and get her parents upset. No, not the girl that thinks of stuff like being a slut. Wathing R movies and getting into 'relationships'. I find that sort of behavior quite appalling. I'm talking about a REAL girl with hopes and Dreams and following her senses, being brave, and listening to what her heart desires.

If you loved this novel it may be true that you are a 'young soul of justice' yourself!!!

ABOUT THE BOOK!

Charlotte Doyle, a girl by the age of thirteen, lives in England and goes to the Barrington School for Better Girls. Her father, mother, younger sister and younger brother live in Providince, Rhode Island. Charlotte is to sail on the Seahawk(a brig, also known as a two masted ship) on a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to live with her family.

Charlotte's father has several reasons leading up to the positiveness of this voyage. First, Charlotte will be losing no school, due to the fact that it is summer break and this voyage will occupy an assuming 2 months. Second, the Seahawk is owned by her father's company, and is operated under her father's firm. The fourth reason is the captain of the seahawk has earned a reputation for profitabe crossings across the Atlantic Ocean. The final reason is two other families known by her father have also booked for this passage, and are to accompany Charlotte.

Theres a large beautiful boat, jolly sailors,no school, and companions of her age!

The only possible thing that can dampen this voyage, the rain on Charlotte's parade, is a journal that Charlotte was instructed by her father to write in every day of her voyage.There are no other interruptions in Charlotte's soon-to-be fantastic journey. And what harm can a journal be?

It turns out that during this journey, Charlotte's happiness is not the only thing held in jeopardy-her life is, too! Will Charlotte's strong will to survive and make the best of her current position prevail? Or will life's hard lessons drive Charlotte out of her mind?

This is my first time to write a review of a book, so please write back if I have not met up to the standard expectations. And please read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Avi is among the most adored authors of present day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling High Seas Adventure, April 1, 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
The year is 1832, and thirteen-year-old Charlotte Doyle is excited to make an interesting voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, being transported from Liverpool, England, home to her family in Providence, Rhode Island by way of ship. She is lead to believe that other families with children her age will be accompanying her on this trip, as it is improper for a girl of her age to be traveling with a group of men, but when they never show up, she is forced to board by herself, and is soon thrown into a tailspin. Before Charlotte even knows what is going on, she is not only accused of murder, but brought to trial, and found guilty, as well. This is her story. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, as she lived it.
THE TRUE CONFESSIONS OF CHARLOTTE DOYLE is an amazing work of literary fiction, that will stay with the reader for years and years to come. Charlotte is an intelligent, strong willed, strong minded, and brave young girl, who makes the best of all of the challenges she faces on her journey. She is not afraid of a little hard work, and even enjoys it to a certain extent. Through her adventures she keeps her head up and a smile on her face, just to prove to everyone around her that she can do anything that a man can, and sometimes she can even do it better. A must have book for anyone interested in historical fiction, as this is one of the best.
Erika Sorocco

5.0 out of 5 stars Newbery Honor book "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle", July 16, 2002
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
When I read on the cover of this book, "A spellbinding tale of intrigue and murder on the high seas", I knew I had to try it out. And I must say, the book delivers a truly wonderful tale worthy of the Newbery Honor it received.

It is the year 1832 and thirteen-year-old Charlotte Doyle is being summoned by her family to return to America. But what they don't know is that he two families who were to accompany Charlotte have suddenly decided not to go! Before she knows it, Charlotte is the lone lady passenger on board the 'Seahawk'. Though Captain Jaggery seems to be the only gentleman among the rough crew, Charlotte discovers that all is not what is seems. When she befriends the old cook Zachariah, she finds out that something is about to happen, something she never dreams would happen! Throughout the deadly voyage on the high seas, Charlotte will be tested in her courage, find out her true loyalties, and discover is she has the will to survive!
A truly amazing and thrilling tale, "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" will not disappoint. It starts off a bit slow I must confess for me but my feelings for the book changed almost immediately. A definite must-read for all young adults. Charlotte Doyle is such a remarkable character that you can't help but relate to her. In the beginning I was a bit startled by her actions of being 'the young lady' and how she must act the part. But soon I began to cheer her on as she began to really open her eyes to the situation growing around her.
Avi is truly a wonderful author and has proven the range of talent he/she has. I mean, I have had the book "Romeo and Juliet - Together (and Alive!) At Last", which is a totally hilarious book! I just laugh every time I read the book. But in "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle", there is a sort of classic novel feel to it. If you liked this book or enjoy reading funny stories, don't miss "Romeo and Juliet - Together (and Alive!) At Last".

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Meaningful Book..., April 9, 2002
By A Customer
I am 15 now and I still cannot get this novel out of my head, which I read many years ago as a pre-teen. So browsing around I decide to share my views on it The book beginnings with Charlotte Doyle, a 13 year old girl, rich upbringing, obviously what people must have saw in 1832 as a
"fragile", "breakable", "untouchable" image. Alone, boarding a ship bound for America to return to her parents, slowly Charlotte begans to become involved--more than she wants to--with the crew and captain of the ship. This proves to be a dangerous situation for the crew begans to reveal their undeniable loathing for the captain and vice versa. Charlotte, over the coarse of the novel finding in herself a rebel and a much stronger individual than she knew, holds a close bond to the cook of the ship, an old, black man which I found somewhat of a bibilcal take on a character, Zachariah. As time passes she seems torn in deciding who on the ship to side with--the captain, a respectable man to her father, or the crew in which she is left alone with aboard the ship. This book is very much complex I found for a chidren's story: twists taking place and at last in a uproar of confusing and guilt from these twists, Charlotte ends up leaving behind her prior status and joins the crew, working as one of them. The twists and ventures Charlotte experiences do not stop there. Murders, secrets revealed, adventure on the high sea, everything. This book as some say, may start of slow, but by the end it's very engrossing, leaving you statified, but yet not wanting it to stop!
Truly this is a tale of strength and what better way to show through, like I mentioned, a young girl in that age. I didn't not find this novel disturbing because it is unbelieveable, as I heard. In fact because of the rare circumstances, I found it more enjoyable. After all who knows what could have happened and what could not? Those make the best tales.
This is also a book of courage to leave the past and old world you thought you may have been better suited for behind. You can very much connect to Charlotte, her feelings, thanks to the writting of this novel by Avi. Perhaps I am going on a bit too much being it's only a children's novel, but it's very compelling, I thought and it's one I will never forget.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, October 25, 2008
LexiJane (New Market, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
I was required to read this book for school and couldn't help having a bad attitude towards it. At first I expected it to be boring and drawn-out but found something much different. This novel shows a girl change in her thoughts, feelings, appearence, and overall self. After an exciting and mysterious voyage on a feared ship whith a twisted crew and captain charlotte finds herself with a whole new perspective. This book has great descriptions, you feel like you know Charlotte very well, it is a little confusing because of the references to the setting of a ship that most people are not familiar with, but shockes you with a surprise ending. Fabulous story that you will thorouly enjoy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling adventure on the high seas..., June 26, 2000
The year is 1832. Thirteen-year-old Charlotte Doyle is instructed by her family to travel from Liverpool, England to Providence, Rhode Island on board the Seahawk. Despite the warnings that Charlotte receives against boarding the ship, she does not wish to contradict her father (she is, after all, a young lady). Once aboard, Charlotte is horrified to find herself the only lady on the entire ship! Nevertheless, she quickly befriends both the highly refined Captain Jaggery and the old cook, Zachariah (tattered and crude in appearance, yet kind and gentle). After witnessing the captain's brutal behavior towards the crew, however, Charlotte joins the men in a revolt against him. The story continues as Charlotte and the crew brave a raging storm, fight the captain once again, and finally dock in Providence. At the end of the story, Charlotte must make a hard decision regarding her plans for the future (of course, I will not disclose her answer). Rarely does a book appeal to people of different ages, genders, and interests, but it is safe to say that this is one of them. When my sixth grade class read this book, I anticipated a boring and uneventful story ahead. I am now thankful that we read it, for it has become one of my all-time favorite novels. I highly recommend "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" to anyone looking for a book unlike any other...a book that has it all: adventure, suspense, mystery, and a riveting plot suitable for absolutely anybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars Womans rights, October 2, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
Not every thirteen year old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial and found guilty. But I was such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago. Be warned, however: If strong ideas and action offend you, read no more. Find another companion to share your idle hours. For my part I intend to tell the truth as I lived it. A quote on the back of the book.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is a wonderful novel by Avi is a breathtaking adventure through a mind of confusion of a thirteen year old girl who transformes from a young lady to a sailor when aboard the Seahawk. Tust me, it is worth it to drop by a book store or local library and pick up a copy for yourself. I recomend this book to all women over the age of 10, read this masterpiece and explore the magical charector Avi has brought to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book was great, I loved it, September 3, 1999
By A Customer
I have just read the book "The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" by Avi. This book was both an adventure novel and a mystery. There are three main characters in this book; Charlotte, Captain Jaggery, and Mr. Zachariah. Charlotte is thirteen years old. Before she went on her voyage she attended the Barrington School for girls in Liverpool, England. Captain Andrew Jaggery was a brutal captain to his crew. He also befriended Charlotte in the beginning of the story before she accidentally whipped him in the face. Zachariah was the cook on the ship for awhile until he faked death and lived in the steerage. He also became good friends with Charlotte throughout the whole book. The story takes place in 1832, on a ship called the Seahawk that left Liverpool, England and sailed for Providence, Rhode Island. The book was very interesting. It was about a girl, named Charlotte, who had just finished school and was ready to come home. Her parents got her a boat ride so she could get back to Rhode Island. When she got on the ship everyone seemed very nice, until the crew decided to take avenge on the captain. This is where it started getting hectic. Zachariah faked death they found a stowaway and Charlotte decided to become on of the crew. When she was blamed for murder and found guilty, I got scared. Well, if you want to no the ending read the book yourself. Some of my favorite scenes were with Zachariah in the steerage, because they were talking mostly about what was happening in the book and I could understand it more. I Also liked the scenes because Zachariah was my favorite character. The book was exiting. I would rate it an eight out of ten. I think you would like the book if you like adventures and aren't afraid of reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story, great protagonist, August 8, 2007
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
Charlotte Doyle is a prim and proper 13-year-old lady in the making. Having completed schooling in England, she sets sail to rejoin her family in Rhode Island -- but her father's carefully made travel arrangements, including escorts and chaperones, go awry, and she boards the ship alone. Before she can debark to make other arrangements, the Seahawk departs from Liverpool and begins the several-week journey across the Atlantic. Charlotte finds herself alone with the crew, an unsavory lot to a man, and the captain, who seems utterly charming and refined despite his unpopular reputation.

But before the voyage can get very far, Charlotte finds herself embroiled in shipboard plots, mutinous rumblings, betrayals, brutal punishments and murders. Her schooling has not prepared her for anything but the most genteel of society, so the young girl is forced by circumstances to adapt to this new and dangerous situation. She also faces a hard choice in choosing her loyalties on this volatile ship.

"The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle" is an engrossing, exciting book that is suitable for younger readers but will hold the interest of adults. As historical fiction, readers will find it filled with details about life on a ship in 1832, and it's obvious Avi has done his research about the period. As both a nautical adventure story and a murder-mystery, the novel has both a riveting plot and several rich, well-developed characters to hold your attention.

Charlotte herself is a fascinating protagonist, growing from her refined but naive beginnings into a decisive, self-assured young girl. She is an excellent role model for teen readers.

I highly recommend this book to all but the youngest readers. In particular, fans of L.A. Meyer's "Bloody Jack" series should enjoy this seafaring mystery, a deserving recipient of the Newbery Award.

by Tom Knapp, Rambles.NET editor

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK EVER, July 21, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (Paperback)
After reading numerous of books last year when I was in fifth grade (I read over a hundred books in the school year) I have to say this is one of my all time favorites. This book is filled with adventure and excitement, I finished in one or two days. When I picked this up, I had doubts but my teacher and librarian would not stop recommending this book, so I gave it a try and loved it. I literally could not put this book down it just kept drawing you in until you were stuck and had no choice but to finish the book, it was that good! I wouldn't mind reading this book over and over again whenever I pick this book up all my troubles and worries seeem to disapear, I loved it!! It is such a great realistic fiction book a sense of adventure with a touch of mystery, and a heart-warming ending. I loved it and I can almost guarantee anyone who reads it will agree.

Amanda Gr. 7 starting in sept.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (Paperback - 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01