Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

100%
The Truth About Liberty: How the Tea Party Can Save America
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 20, 2011
Whether you're a liberal, a conservative, or a libertarian, if you have any interest in individual liberty, this book is for you. It is bold, well-written, and motivating. I couldn't put it down.

For a long time I've known something was very wrong with our government, but I never really understood *what* until I read this amazing book. It explains how we lost our liberties and how we can win them back. As an active Tea Party member, it is very important for me to understand where the threats to my liberty come from, and what to do about it.

I always knew that we had bad government policies, but I never realized that most of what the government does is forbidden by the constitution in the first place, precisely because the founders didn't trust government to manage our lives. Whenever you have a problem, people usually call for more government to solve it, but it's usually the government that caused the problem to start with.

To show how much freedom we've lost, the author starts with a "day in the life" of a fictional character, Joe Freeman. His every move in business and private life is regulated by the government, from the lights he turns on, to the toilet he flushes, to the milk he drinks, to the driver's license and the permit he has to carry a gun. It's easy to identify with Joe because it's a humorous (and sort of sad) illustration of our own lives.

In chapter 2 the author explains how the privileged ruling class lives by different rules than we do, and so they're not really "representatives," but rulers.

The book's central theme is that the out-of-control government ruins almost everything it manages, and there are separate chapters addressing justice, Social Security, education, housing, food, jobs, and so on.

The author tackles some extremely controversial and difficult issues, and while I don't necessarily reach all the same conclusions, it has definitely affected how I think about the government's involvement in things like abortion, marriage, police power, and the military.

I've never read a book that discusses these issues with such a clear and persuasive focus on the principles of liberty that founded the United States, and I can't recommend this book enough.
on July 18, 2013
This book is the best I have read on Liberty and how far America has fallen from it. But it is NOT a complainer's book where you get a lot of "how bad things are" without solutions. The author provides solutions. It is not a wave the flag apple pie turn back the clock sort of book either. Liberty is the focus, not turning back the American clock. The author is forward thinking. It clarifies what may have been only a suspicion in the reader's mind as to what liberty is and how America has deviated from that ideal.

The book is very easy and quick to read but yet is powerfully informative.
on April 9, 2013
This is really a well-written book and taught me so much I did not know about our nation's politics, economy, weath-systems, etc. including where we are headed as a nation in the future. I don't usually follow this stuff, I find it dry and dull - but this book made it interesting and easy to understand and I actually sat up nights reading it! I think I had it read in less than a week and will likely re-read it because there is SO much valuable info and insights in it!
on December 20, 2011
I learned so much about how our government works. If you have ever watched Congress on C-Span you know that there is alot of talk and Very little that actually gets accomplished. The Senate makes a joke of the House of Representatives by gutting bills passed by the HOuse and filling it with a Senate bill. There are no rules in Washinton!