5.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi Does Not Disappoint

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album but not her best
Published 9 months ago by James L. Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album but not her best, March 12, 2014
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
Ledisi is one of those artists that will never get as much attention as the other overrated celebs out there... (Rihanna, Beyoncé, Katy Perry... You know) But we all know Ms. Ledisi can run circles singing around 90% of these chicks out there. As a long time fan of the Jazzy Ledisi, I have to say this album sounds similar to a lot that's out there right now. Thankfully she doesn't use auto tune (that would be an abomination) but for example "Lose My Control", "Anything", and "That Good Good" sounds very radio friendly. They aren't bad songs, they just aren't "Ledisi grooves" that Im used too and most of them don't really stand out vocally. I think its a good/safe effort but not nearly as incredible as her first 3 albums (She needs to do more like "Autumn Leaves", "Think of You", "In The Morning", "Higher Than This".... where she is REALLY feeling it). My top 5:

5. Missy Doubt - Upbeat, fun, radio friendly, nice to dance too.

4. Can't Help Who I Love - Nice laid back, groovy song.

3. Like This - I like her vocals here. Not too strong, but the message is strong

2. Mine - This one is actually on her deluxe version and I'm in love with it. This is the direction I was hoping she would go with this song.

1. I Blame You - Loved it the first time I heard it. Its sexy and the beat is definitely R&B. The video really makes this track stand out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi Does Not Disappoint, March 11, 2014
Patrick Barnett (cincinnati, oh usa) - See all my reviews
Ledisi's latest album, The Truth, definitely speaks the truth! She starts off with a few fast tempo tracks, then she slows it down throughout the rest of the album. All the tracks on the Deluxe Edition of this album are worthy of being played. Please support artists that put good effort into their music. This is an album that you definitely want to add to your music collection if you are a Ledisi fan, or just looking for new music to add to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi shows off her sensual side on "The Truth", March 11, 2014
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
Although Ledisi has recently found fame as an R&B singer, she is anything but an overnight success. She has about fifteen years of experience, beginning with fronting a band called Anibade. By the time the 2000's came around, Ledisi was performing as a solo artist- releasing two critically acclaimed albums on her own imprint. As 2005 rolled in, she was on the fence about continuing her career, even as she made an appearance on Blackalicious' 2005 album "The Craft". She signed with Verve Forecast to release her formal major label debut "Lost & Found"- however, she didn't want to be pigeonholed as a neo-soul artist. She decided to shake things up a little bit- starting with her excursions into Southern soul and funk rock on 2009's "Turn Me Loose". Two years later, she decided to change gears once again, this time by making the radio friendly record "Pieces Of Me". While the album did fairly well for her, she felt it wasn't enough. This time around, she decided to take things one step further.

In March 2014, Ledisi released her fourth album for Verve Forecast- and sixth overall- "The Truth". On her new album, she makes the transition into sensual and seductive R&B songs. She reunites with a couple of producers from her previous album- such as Chuck Harmony, who produced the first single about finding happiness with a new love "I Blame You". Also present is producer Jon Jon Traxx with the sexual come-on "That Good Good". Darhyl "DJ" Camper (best known for Keyshia Cole's "Trust And Believe" and Tamar Braxton's "Love And War") produces the title track "The Truth", a song in which a couple have to face the sad reality that they are no longer in love. She makes a beeline for the dance floor with "Rock With You", while practicing the art of seduction on "Lose Control". However, not everything is centered around sex on this album. She apologizes for underestimating her lover on "Missy Doubt" and closes the album with the song about the unpredictability of the heart "Can't Help Who You Love". "The Truth" is a noticeably different sound and style for Ledisi. While she has no problem stepping out of her comfort zone, one would get the feeling that she's trying a little hard to get recognition from the masses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly A Diverse Ledisi!, March 14, 2014
What can this woman not sing?! Her vocals are clearly signature, but I can certainly hear the growth in her voice since the previously released albums. The content is relevant and illustrates the singer's self-reflection of love, sex, and freedom! I really appreciate this effort by Ledisi. Although it offers a different sound than her previous albums, it demonstrates her true ability to experiment with different sounds and genres. Truly for the very grown and sexy, I think some of this content was even a little more advanced for me...lol, but I am hopeful that I can have some of the same experiences. Great job Ledisi, can't wait for the next album to drop!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-rounded R&B Album., March 16, 2014
D. C. Stolk (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
"The Truth” is the seventh album by R&B power vocalist Ledisi and also a different musical direction for the many times Grammy-nominated singer, as this record is more up-tempo than previous releases. As Ledisi stated in a recent interview: "I made a decision to not do too many ballads so it reflects the more upbeat side of me. I wanted to make songs that were about my truth. This is the most vulnerable I've ever been.”

On this upbeat R&B album, Ledisi showcases her incredible vocal range as she covers a wide range of topics related to love, also displaying a playful sexuality that never turns vulgar. The album opens with the very catchy “I Blame You” and the disco-esque "Rock With You." Then there is the mid-tempo “That Good Good” and the sultry "Lose Control," in which she sings about taking the lead in the bedroom: "Nice red high heel shoes, Left behind some clues, Follow the roses, Let me reward you.”

Next are the mid-tempo song “Like This” and the radio-ready tune “Anything.” Standout-track “The Truth” showcases her vulnerability, as this is a ballad about the feelings that the songstress went through after her own breakup, and the lively mid-tempo “Missy Doubt.” On the mournful “88 Boxes” she sings about packing up pictures and old love letters, or in other words: "My life, it went from years to 88 boxes.” The record closes with my personal favorite of this album, the ballad “Can’t Help Who You Love.”

Final verdict: with “The Truth,” the New Orleans-born singer deliveres a well-rounded R&B album. But that said, after listening to this CD repeatedly for the past several days to let the songs sink in, the truth is that, while these are all good, catchy songs, there are too few really outstanding and/or memorable tracks on this album. So I settled on four stars: I like it, a lot, but I don’t love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is The Truth, March 11, 2014
Cashew5 (MIAMI, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
This CD is a good mix of songs. I bought it because Ledisi's previous works have established enough of a solid foundation that lets me know that she is gifted and serious about her craft. That being said, there are some songs that I like a lot more than others, like the opening number as well as Rock with You, The Good Good, Lose Control, Missy Doubt and Can't Help Who You Love. Those are my favorites, but Ledisi's style makes everything on this CD enjoyable to listen to. There are certain artists that I look forward to new releases from always and I will support them because I like their music. She is one of those artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ledisi colors outside the lines with ‘The Truth’, April 16, 2014
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
I own every single Ledisi album; I follow her on Facebook and Twitter, and I was extremely pleased when the latest issue of Essence arrived in the mail and there she was gracing the cover in all of her beauty and grace and loveliness.
I've become a devoted fan, and as such, sometimes devotees aren’t all that accepting when an artist decides to go in another direction.
In interview after interview I’ve read that Ledisi took time to focus on herself, and this album was a reflection of her journey.
I, for one, am loving every aspect of this “other” Ledisi!
The box that some want her to stay in? She’s stepped out, broken it down and sent it on to be recycled.
Growing up, most of us are taught to color within the lines. It just looks neater.
There are times however, when coloring outside the lines is soooooooo much more fun.
Ledisi's The Truth colors way beyond those lines, and in the process, gives fans a CD worth listening to constantly.
I knew this was going to be a great album when I heard the first single, I Blame You. The song and accompanying video is all you needed to see to know the Soulsinger (her first album) Ledisi has been replaced by the Lose Control woman.
Read more at soulmusingscorner.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth is The Truth!!, March 14, 2014
This review is from: The Truth (MP3 Music)
I absolutely loved this album. first previewed it on ny times and knew that I had to have it. I blame you, rock with you, good good, anything, 88 boxes are all in my regular rotation. Ledisi did her thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Disappointed!, November 9, 2014
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
The first time I saw Ledisi was a fluke but let me go back. The first time I heard her was on a cassette tape around 1995, it was the Soul Singer cd, I had never heard the group Anibade or the artist (Ledisi), could not beleive what I heard it was refreshing and new. It wasn't until the cd was officially released that I had the opportunity to see her. We went to see Rachel Ferrell, I was disappointed there would be an opening act. Ledisi was that act, I had no clue who she was and then she started to sing, it was the voice I heard 2 years prior. When she stopped singing I looked around and almost everyone was in tears. Since then we've seen her 11 times. There comes a time when you make a choice, you either stay true to your craft or you go for fame and fortune...well she is famous now, but the craft has surely taken a back seat. It is truly unfortunate that an instrument of this caliber has succumbed to the calling of the beatbox bootyshakers. The night we saw Ledisi at the Wiltern Theater it was truly life changing, I will never forget...unlike this forgetable cd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing it more and more each time, April 6, 2014
Mr R MacDuff (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Truth (Audio CD)
Oh dear, what a waste of a great voice. When she burst onto the scene she was a true original. Now we are subjected to "Missy Doubt", "Rock With You", "That Good Good", "Lose Control". Thank goodness for the title track, where i believed the singing!. Why is it that artists think they can write all/most songs ... look at Aretha's Atlantic albums - some originals must mostly covers, miraculously reinvented. And please, Rex Rideout, why does anyone rate him. He turned Will Downing into drab. I've seen her live, loved her and love her voice. But this is just a waste of talent. It reminds me of those awful late 80's Aretha albums. Ledisi, please learn something from the Etta James legacy - yes, reinvent but do it with artistic integrity. By the way apart from "The Truth", certainly like "I Blame You" and "88 Boxes".

The Truth
The Truth by Ledisi (Audio CD - 2014)