5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!
Published on October 26, 2010 by book_anaconda

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent plot. Complex characters. Forced values.
The book is about a teenager, Charlie, and his adventure to elude the police who are chasing him after Charlie escaped from prison for the murder of his best friend (Charlie was framed). He's also trying to stay out of the clutches of a band of merciless terrorists hot on his tail. Thing is Charlie doesn't remember the past year (amnesia? drugs? trauma?) and it makes...
Published on December 22, 2010 by KC Procter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, October 26, 2010
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
I've read "The Last Thing I Remember", "The Long Way Home", and now, "The Truth of the Matter" and I can honestly say that I read this book in one hour and it was the most emotional, exciting, thrilling, confusing, patriotic, thoughtful, christian, funny, suspenseful, and surprising hour I have EVER had!!! This book deserves more than 5 stars!!! 20 stars!!! Charlie West has such...deep thoughts yet Andrew Klavan words them so beautifully I understand perfectly. An epic adventure than DESERVES as much admiration as you have!!!
I am fourteen years old and I reccomend this book to everyone! I told one guy (he was/is 24 years old) and he loved it! Now we're both hooked on this series and I can't believe Andrew Klavan is tormenting us by making us wait for August 2011 for "The Final Hour" book four!!! I can't wait!!!
*****

4.0 out of 5 stars The best in the series, can't wait for the finale., December 9, 2010
Bill Garrison (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
HE TRUTH OF THE MATTER is Andrew Klavan's third book in the young adult Homelanders series. This book is released by a Christian publisher. Klavan also writes books for adults that, while they contain moral and Christian values, are full of bad language and adult situations. With that disclaimer out of the way, I have to say THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER is the best in the series.

In book one, high schooler Charlie West woke up to find him self strapped to a table. He had no memory of the last year and a half. He escaped from his captors and spent the rest of the novel trying to find out what had happened to him. He discovers he'd been arrested for the murder of his best friend Alex Hauser. He'd been convicted and sent to prison. He escaped and joined a group called the Homelanders, an Islamic terrorist group based in the USA .

In book two, Charlie makes contact with some of his old buddies, plus girlfriend Beth. His friends all still believe in him, but Charlie can't stay with them. The cops are after him for escaping prison and the Homelanders want him dead for betraying their cause.

Book three opens with Charlie looking for a man called Waterman, a man who could supposedly tell Charlie what in the world is going on. Once Charlie finds Waterman, the action picks up. Charlie never knows who to trust and the Homelanders are always on his tail.

I liked this book because, through flashbacks, we learn along with Charlie what exactly happened. He remembers what really happened to friend Alex. He relives what it was like to fall in love with Beth. He discovers how he became involved with the Homelanders. Some might complain of too much backstory or rehashing the past. But, I think Klavan does it in a way that makes in interesting and fun.

There's only one more book in this unabashedly pro-American series. These books are easy to read and teenagers, and their parents, should enjoy it.

One other note: I received this book through Amazon Vine and it had the first 27 pages missing. I was able to find the beginning online.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth Of The Matter Is At Hand!, December 9, 2010
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
Charlie West has a problem. The bad guys are trying to get him--and so are the good guys. But sometimes, when you need it the most, allies can come from the strangest places. And with his memories finally coming back to him bit by bit, Charlie is beginning to understand the truth of the matter.

From book one, chapter one, sentence one, the Homelanders series has never let up on the action. Everything that happens in these books is drained for every possible drop of suspense. But somehow, in the midst of the constant car chases, fist fights and gun fire, you get to know Charlie. And you can't help but root for him as he goes up against impossible odds for what he believes in.

Finally, all the pieces of Charlie's past are beginning to come together for what is sure to be one of the most suspenseful books of all time. My only complaint is that we'll have to wait till August for The Final Hour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Ride!!, January 9, 2013
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
The Truth of the Matter was a thrilling ride! I loved it! It was very interesting to learn more about what was really going on in Charlie's life and, I have to say, I was surprised by some of the things revealed!

There was so much action in The Truth of the Matter that it held my attention throughout! I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this book... it's my favorite of the Homelanders series so far! The ending left me itching to pick up The Final Hour (book four) as soon as possible!

I recommend The Truth of the Matter if you enjoy YA action novels - it was fantastic! I think you should probably read books one and two first, though, so things will make sense.

I borrowed this book from the library. I was not required to write a review, but chose to. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*

4.0 out of 5 stars Homelanders, Book 3, December 8, 2010
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
The Truth of the Matter by Andrew Klavan is a novel for young adults and was really a pleasant and exciting read. This is the third in a series of four books, The Homelanders series, and even though I have not read the preceding books, I was able to follow along. If I had read the other books, I don't think I would have been bored with the explanation section because the writer didn't spend too much time on this. I was able to get the needed information in order to catch up without boring other readers.

Charlie West is a typical high school senior, worried only about spending time with his girlfriend and trying to get into a good college. However everything changes one day when Charlie wakes up with a year of his memory erased and strange people who seem to be trying to kill him. Throughout the course of the book, Charlie works to find out exactly what happened to him while narrowly evading those who want him dead.

This book series has a very similar plot to the Bourne Ultimatum series. In fact, having read the first of that series recently, I can pick out numerous similarities. The Homelanders series is just like that, but for a younger audience. In both series, the main character has for some reason lost his memory and spends the majority of the series trying to figure out why. They both also have some moment where they think they are part of a certain organization, but find out there is som twist that makes their original thoughts untrue. Really, if you enjoy the Bourne series, you will most likely enjoy this.

I found that there was also a very pro-America message. The main character states many times that he would do anything for the country, wants to join the Army, wants to protect our freedoms, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro-America also, but the whole book I felt like that message was being shoved down my throat.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to read and very interesting; I finished quickly and would like to get the rest of the books in the series to find out what happens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the teenager of a patriotic Christian, December 8, 2010
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
I don't normally read books of fiction, however, after reading its synopsis I decided I'd give it a read. It promised a juvenile fiction thriller and I figured I'd be willing to delve into the world of fiction if it'd be a quick, exciting visit. I was not disappointed.

The Truth of the Matter is the third part of a 4 book series written by Andrew Klavan. I didn't read the first two parts but was easily able to pick up where the story left off and thoroughly enjoy the story. Charlie West is a teenage boy who pretty much lives out the fantasy of any thrill seeking guy his age. He was selected to join a top secret government agency (he can't tell his parents, his friends, or his incredible girlfriend) anything about it. He is chosen because of qualities that only he has which will help America destroy terrorists. The cops are after him. The terrorists are after him. Agents are after him. He also is a black belt in karate so he can fight when he needs to. He can also use guns. But who can he trust? Who is on his side?

The third part in the series delves into these issues in the overall storyline. The action is non-stop throughout this book. It's like walking into an action flick just as the climax is about to begin so if you get into it now, you'll still enjoy it, but having background information can certainly make it more enjoyable.

The book was very suspenseful. I kept wanting to look ahead to see what was going to happen (and did on several occasions) but was able to constrain myself most of the time. I would define the book as a version of the television show 24 if Thomas Nelson publishers (who actually did) shared the storyline. There is high drama, wild chases, explosions, and characters who turn out to be people you didn't expect them to be... but done in a manner friendly to the Christian worldview.

This book has a fairly specific audience. Patriotic American Christians who support war efforts against the Taliban, who is the clearly stated enemy against whom Charlie is working against. Military service is defined as being extremely honorable. Teachers in public schools who advocate the moral relativism growing in our culture are scorned. I myself would classify myself as pretty conservative politically and this book is certainly written for those in that camp. Definitely for flag waving Americans.

That said, this book is certainly juvenile fiction. It will be most enjoyed by males aged 11-15. Others can certainly enjoy it, but it is written from the perspective of the male, teenage character and his perspective on things might be most relatable to them. There are words used seemingly intended to give the reader an opportunity to look up its meaning in the dictionary as it is then used several times shortly after it's initial use. Additionally, characters are defined repeatedly ensuring that the reader isn't missing the author's intent. If you are the parent of a child that age and want to give him a book he will utterly enjoy, and you are a "family, faith, and God" type of Christian, this would be a great book to purchase.

I received a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher for review. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Three in The Homelanders Series, November 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Homelanders is an action/thriller series for middle-graders. Published by Thomas Nelson Publishers (publishes and produces Christian books), this series comes in four installments. Though the author fills in the reader with the background information from previous books, I’d suggest starting with book one. Here’s the series in order.

1. The Last Thing I Remember (2009)
2. The Long Way Home (2010)
3. The Truth of the Matter (2010)
4. The Final Hour (2011)

In book one, Charlie West awakes to find out the police are after him for murder and that he’s part of a terrorist group called the Homelanders—they are after him too. Oh, and the last year is a total blank. He can’t remember a thing that happened.

Finally in book three, readers discover what happen as Charlie is given a drug to help him remember what happened. What his connection is between him and the Homelanders.

I’m not a fan of middle-grade books or Christian fiction, but Andrew Klavan knows how to keep the action coming in this series. I’ve enjoyed books one through three so far and will start on “The Final Hour” soon. I like the message of not giving up, in believing in yourself, believing in good that’s found throughout this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Series!!!, December 8, 2010
This review is from: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) (Hardcover)
This is the third book in the Homelanders series by Andrew Klavan. I love these books and the story is great. The story is about Charlie West who cant remember a year of his life. He is being hunted by both the police and an Islamic terrorist group. In this book Charlie still doesnt know who to trust but he starts to get his memory back but only a little at a time. can Charlie stay ahead of everyone chasing him long enough to figure out who he can trust.

The writing is great and very action packed I would recommend this series for both young adult and the adult crowds as it has a little something for everyone. It reads quickly and keeps you wanting more. My only problem with the series is that the books come out so far apart and we have to wait until August 2011 for the final book in the series. Also when you finally start the book it takes you a little while to figure out what is going on since you havent read the previous book in awhile.

Really great series though and I thank Thomas Nelson and Booksneeze for providing a copy of this book to review and give an unbiased opinion and review of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, December 5, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I obtained this book for my 13-year-old son. He has read the first two books in the series and thoroughly enjoyed them, even though he isn't really interested in reading.

I have read the books also. This one, as were the others, are fast-moving, involving, "clean," and just plain fun to read. I like the fact that they are patriotic and cast God in a good light. This one may have fewer things happening than the first two, but it still is an "action" type book. However, I think there could have been more going on in this book, as it appears the author tended to stretch out the action too much instead of creating more of a storyline. Really, while I think this is a good book, I also think it is the weakest of the three and more of just a set-up for the final book.

Anyway, it's a good adventure book for kids for parents who want their kids to have fun reading, but also like to see the United States and God presented in a good way.

I look forward to the final book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, May 26, 2012
Charlie West wakes up in a terrorist torture chamber in book three of the Homelanders series. He has no memory of the previous year. He hopes to regain his memory by finding Agent Waterman, but Waterman only makes things worse.

Charlie finds out that he is wanted for murder and a team of ruthless terrorist is determined to stop him from finding out the truth.

I have not read the first two books in the series. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. The book is aimed at a teen market, but the action sequences are written for adults. Many teen novels these days have a supernatural plot to them, I found The Truth of the Matter to be a bit of fresh air. There are plenty of mysterious twists and turns throughout the book to keep the reader's interests. Overall, I enjoyed reading the book.

The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders)
The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders) by Andrew Klavan (Hardcover - November 2, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.24