Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Tudors: The Complete Series
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on October 29, 2010
Very well acted. Excellent costumes. Wonderful sets. Close enough to historical accuracy for me. I thoroughly enjoyed each of the shows and will undoubtedly watch all of them again in a year. This set was a great addition to my library.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2010
It's a TV series made for entertaining you for 46 minutes a week. Did it do that? It did for me. Was it completely accurate? No, but it was close and sparked an interest in history that made me read up on the era. Good acting, good stories, good entertainment.
11 comment|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2010
After four wonderful seasons Showtime's "The Tudors" wrapped up production in early 2010. Now on November 23, 2010 we can enjoy one of the most visually perfect television productions of all-time in a complete series box set. This set will included all 38 episodes along with an array of bonus features that were never available on the individual season sets.

Most critics have stated what a wonderful series "The Tudors" was, with everything from the acting, to the excellent scripts, to the fabulous costumes being at the top of their game. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers did a remarkable job in the role of King Henry VIII bringing both a strength and crediblity in his performances as week after week we watched as Henry would do anything for his country while at the same time trying to bed every young woman he could.

"The Tudors" follwed King Henry's life as King of England where he married multiple times and had various lovers, had dastardly political doings that were not favored by many, and he single handedly brought down the Roman Catholic Church.

In this 15 disc set the extra bonuses will include the following:

11. Bloopers
12. Tudors 500th Anniversary:Hampton Court
13. Tudors 500th Anniversary:Tower of London
14. Tudors 500th Anniversary:British Library
44 comments|245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2010
Started watching "The Tudors" through Netflix and finished all 4 seasons in a couple weeks. Without a doubt, the best series on television. I know, I know, "M*A*S*H*," "Seinfeld," "Friends," "The Sopranos," "ER." They were all great, but I LOVED this series and it will be the only television series I own on disc once it arrives - can't wait to watch it all over again. AMAZING acting, beautiful costumes, and wonderful sets all combine to (loosely) retell the story of the reign of Henry VIII. This series sparked a true interest in the Tudors and Plantangenets and I am reading anything I can get my hands on. This series is a must see.
on December 30, 2010
I bought the series at the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed. Jonathan Rhys Meyers was an amazing Henry VIIIth. He is so regal so effortlessly that he brings instant credibility to his role. I didn't mind the poetic license used in some parts of the series (even though I am an English history buff).

My rating of 3 stars is because of the difficulties encountered in Series 2 and 3 with the discs. There was some flaw in those two sets that prevented the DVD player from moving on to the last episode on the disc. The last episode couldn't even be accessed by choosing it from the episode menu. After some experimentation, I found that I could access the last episode on the discs by using the scene forward button and getting to it from the second last episode on the disc. For shame, techno geeks. Other than that, the packaging is pretty and ingenious.
1515 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2011
LOVED this whole series and could not wait to watch it again when this boxed set came out. However, the last disc of the final season with the final two episodes cannot be viewed as there is obviously a manufacturing defect. Amazon have replaced my set twice and all three sets received had this same problem. I even tried the last disc on another DVD player in my house and it still had the problem. Obviously, my DVD players are just fine as they played all the other discs in the boxed set with no problem. As of today's date, Amazon still have no resolution for this problem except to keep sending out new boxed sets! VERY disappointing, particularly given the significance of the last two episodes!
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2013
FULL DISCLOSURE - Amazon is completely free of any wrong doing.
"The Tudors" has a definite manufacturing defect. We ordered two sets over the course of two months and encountered the same issue... unwatchable discs. I have 400+ DVDs/Blu-rays and have never had problems viewing any of them. We tried to clean them, replace them, and use different players with no success. Boo!
on August 18, 2011
I'm a huge fan of this show and this collection does not disappoint! From the content to the packaging, everything is terrific. It contains every episode PLUS a number of DVD extras not available on the individual seasons. It's a great addition to our Royal DVD collection. I was concerned with how long it took to be delivered, but then read about the postal strike in Canada. That said, it did still arrive within the estimated timeframe. Very happy with this purchase!
on June 2, 2011
I agree with the other reviewers.

The packaging and extras are terrific. What is there to say about the show that already haven't been said? Its a beautiful show to watch and its pure entertainment.

The discs are difficult as in they freeze up. I'm so very glad that I bought this set as a 'Gold Box Deal of The Day' because otherwise I'd return them immediately for a refund. Its a real shame too because clearly there was a lot of effort put into the beautiful packaging.

Too bad that they skimped on disc quality. Show 5 stars. Packaging 5. Discs 1.
on January 15, 2011
This review is on the four individually marketed seasons, not the boxed set.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and wished it had continued on through Edward's and Mary's reigns. (There are many films on Elizabeth's tenure as queen.) Excellent costuming, fine performances, and close enough to historical fact to make it a good teaching tool (although not for high school given the nudity and excessive, if not historically inaccurate, use of the "F" word, particularly in the early episodes). It was a cruel and despotic era, and the series well depicts it within the confines of what is, despite the series' length, a short period of time. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was incredibly good. Hard to believe he was the same man who portrayed Elvis Presley.

Those who criticize the series for historical inaccuracies all have valid points. As a historian, I can tell you that the mounting of the cannon depicted during the siege of Boulogne was absurd. Some pieces recoiled; others didn't. They were all mounted on an uphill slope, which means that recoil from firing round one would have sent them careening back down the slope, requiring hours of struggle to remount them for - well, one more shot that would have repeated the process. The proper procedure would have been to construct an upward slope behind the piece so it rolled back into position after firing. I was also annoyed that, given that the aged Henry VIII's obese form is so familiar, the film makers did not gradually fatten Rhys-Meyers. The 1970 BBC series Six Wives of Henry VIII did an effective job of growing actor Keith Michell from a lean, mean lovin' machine to a candidate for a fat farm. On the other hand, if you want to teach a non-historian why America's founding fathers insisted their new government have no established religion, have them watch The Tudors.

Of course, no serious historian would tap Hollywood and the like as a valid source. Gods and Generals, for example, made a strong effort to be a historically accurate film but insufficient effort to be a good film. Glory, on the other hand, presented a variety of historical errors, but it was an excellent film. All historically-based movies make factual errors, some through ignorance, others in the interest of story-telling, and some, especially old Hollywood films, are a joke (e.g., They Died with their Boots On or Santa Fe Trail). As long as film makers make a reasonable effort toward accuracy, I am not overly concerned. Historical drama can generate interest in a period or event and prompt the viewer to further study, as The Tudors did for me.

BUT WHY WASN'T THE SERIES RELEASED IN BLU-RAY? We all know it's coming - with three minutes of scenes previously unseen, of course - to lure us into a second purchase. I rented it from Netflix and will do the same when it comes to blu-ray. Also, I could never get the closed captioning to function, which I require when actors speak softly, especially in an English accent. Beware purchasing it if you are hearing impaired.

Otherwise, bravo Showtime!
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse