Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on January 10, 2012
Plot-The events depicted on this film were a culmination of police evidentiary material and a journalist and her own crew's personal tapes. In Sydney, an investigation into a government cover-up leads to a network of abandoned train tunnels. As a journalist and her crew go into the tunnels to find out about the cover up, they soon realize their is something else down there.

Review- The first 30 minutes of the film, we get the dialogue of two of the main characters as they run us thru the events that lead up to them going into the tunnel systems and why they did it. We learn this crew is investigating a network of tunnels underneath Sydney and discovering why the Government abandoned its plans to use an underground reservoir in the hopes of relieving Australia's water crisis. But, they start to dig further into this story, and wonder what happened to the homeless people who lived in these tunnels. This film goes back and forth from the two main characters sharing their take on what is going on, and us watching it for ourselves. Things pick up when they discover Trevor (or Trev as he likes to be called) he was one of the homeless who was in The Tunnel. As soon as they start to ask questions, he freaks out and runs into a corner. Then, Natalie who is the journalist and wants to get a story out of this situation in the tunnels, starts to go to you tube for her research and discover there is something going on underneath the train station which is the main series of tunnels in Sydney.

The next 30 minutes are the creep factor. You just know something is going to go down. As they head into these tunnels, that look like they were sets on Alien or Descent. This film just gives the viewer such a feeling, that something could go down at any time and has your attention. It builds the story and the suspense to such a point, that when it finally goes down, it feels like the letting go of a rubber band wrapped too tight around your wrist. And they do it so smart and creative, that you feel for the characters and are thrown into this situation with them. There is a scene that involves ringing a bell, that was such a simple yet effective scene. Esp. when they have the cutaway scene when Natalie gets to hear what the guys heard on the headphones when the bell rang.

The last 30 minutes was almost a Blair Witch meets Descent feel. I know there are so many found footage films and trapped in caves, tunnels or whatever films. But, the last 30 minutes of this film, with the scratched up camera lens and you having to get a glimpse of what may or may not be happening was just awesome. That this film almost felt like it owed the fans a slam ending that will get them talking, and it delivered. I had a blast with this little creep fest. This is a very slow burner, that picks up and delivers the goods for the patient fans.

All in all, this is one of the best found footage films I have seen in a very long time.

8.5 out of 10
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A government cover-up, abandoned tunnels, and people scared out of their wits. Scary, Creepy, and haunting. Ideal movie for thriller and horror lovers. This one will promise to send many chills up your spine. Acting Performance Superb, Scary setting will fright anyone. Intense Suspense that will knock your socks off. Highly Recommended for Horror Lovers. This one aims to please!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2011
First of all. Everybody who asks themselves whether the movie real or not, it is not, but it is based on some real events(and I really doubt it has anything to do with the monster in the deep of the underground). Visit their website at [...] and read more about this good scary movie. The story is 5/5(You won't believe how entertaining it was), creepiness is 5/5(It is really creepy in some places. Made me stop the movie a few times to continue to watch it), gore 2/5 (It was really unnecessary to have a lot of gore in the movie to make it look good). Actors in the movie played so really good, I was trying to catch them on bad acting and I didn't. As for the creature, if you really think it is real, think again. How can it move with such a speed in real life (you will see it incredibly well in one cut scene. No spoilers)? In other scenes it moved not with such a high speed as it was before in the beginning. Makes me wonder why would it suddenly move a lot slower compare to it's original speed. In the very end a paramedic was standing far from a dying person. How long was he standing there? Why didn't he run to help the person? A movie mistake? Maybe, maybe not. And finally when that already dead man was lying on the floor I didn't really notice who moved his leg. Maybe it was a movie mistake.
Verdict: Get the movie, you won't regret it. You can't go wrong with it.
on February 12, 2012
Just browsing through the titles I stumbled across "The Tunnel." Having been somewhat impressed with "Lake Mungo," a part of the last batch (I believe) of the "After Dark Horror Fest," I decided to give this one a shot. I'm trying not to ruin it here for anybody else who may be intrigued by it, but my only real beef was not knowing what was chasing them. Overall, a decent entry into the new and exciting genre.
on February 17, 2012
I didn't know how much I am going to like this movie until I watched it. I must admit I had pretty low expectations,but 'The Tunnel' proved me wrong. The story is very captivating and the acting superb-for a movie that I never heard of,it was such a nice surprise.I always love it when I watch a creepy movie that truly satisfies!
on July 10, 2013
Intensely creepy in places. Solid acting. Wisely avoids a clear view of whatever the menace is. More than a few times it goes into Blair Witch territory with some plot devices, but with the excellent acting and doom atmosphere, its ok!
on January 9, 2013
I enjoy a good found footage horror flick as much or more than the next guy, because for whatever reason horror and the found footage method just work--maybe because these kinds of films are stripped of the editing, sound, musical and visual cliches of the form. Non-slasher or supernatural horror is very hard to do well, so when a movie like this comes along and I see it really is just a riff on The Blair Witch Project, I usually am dismissive. Having said all that, the best thing about both comedy and horror flicks is that you can trust your responses--if you laughed, then it was your idea of a good comedy, and if I got that oddly enjoyable sense of the fear of otherness, then it`s a good horror flick. The Tunnel is a good horror flick. We are down in this labyrinth with something or things, and we want to escape, and we fear we are in an unknown place dealing with things outside of our ideas of what is. I do think the BWP comparison is apt, right down to a version of unwrapping the teeth, but it works.
on February 4, 2014
These video diary horror movies are like a plague upon movie cinema. They are almost becoming what zombie horrors are....redundant. It's always the same thing. A bunch of idiots going on some pointless adventure through some stupid dark tunnel or abandoned house or whatever and winding up getting killed by some unknown creature, ghost or demon. The thing that gets on my last nerve is there's always some woman who won't stop her annoying screaming. Hollywood, take it from someone who is getting tired of these films and make another horror genre that's worth the time and money to watch. The only video diary movies I like are Paranormal Activity 1,2,3 & 4 and Chernobyl Diaries. Anything else you can throw in the trash heap. So for those of you who are considering buying this movie, just don't. Watch the movies I've mentioned above and that will fill your need for GOOD video diary horrors.
on March 3, 2014
This is basically a combination of a found footage and documentry film. The movie changes from being a found footage film to talking heads discussing relevent topics. The main thing to notice is that the talking heads are the main characters in the found footage. The beginning, is fairly boring, however if you can get to the half hour mark, you should be set as you'll understand where the film is going after that.

After that first half hour I never needed to check the time for what was left of the movie as I was really engaged. However the talking heads ruined some of the suspence. I wasn't too critical about this as I had discovered this movie by accident and just felt like seeing a b movie. Though it turned out to be a well done B movie.

Make sure you look at the other reviews for this movie as they'll help form your opinion.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
THE TUNNEL has many familiar elements running together. It has a government cover-up and tunnel-dwelling homeless people- like CHUD, a group of journalists w/ the cameras- like [REC] / QUARANTINE, and deadly, subterranean creatures- as in THE DESCENT, CREEP, and THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN. As shockumentary-style movies go, this one isn't bad at all. Unfortunately, I've seen so many similar-looking previews for those ridiculous ghost / haunted house "reality" shows, that it almost ruined this one for me. Still, THE TUNNEL generates just enough fright to be entertaining...