5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gift Imaginable For A Music Lover of Any Age
IN THE HEART OF MUSIC is truly a great work of art. The entire DVD is magnificent: The filming, the editing, and, most importantly of all, the sheer human magnificence of Van Cliburn himself and the young pianists, is one of the great achievements in the entire history of film.

I have never seen a DVD or film more visually beautiful, more audibly...
Published on May 19, 2006 by M.M. Marbury

1.0 out of 5 stars ...and to think I was looking forward to this garbage.
After four months of waiting, I couldn't have been more dissapointed when this documentary finally aired on PBS. In matters filmmaking, it was just plain sloppy. Transitions were rough and camera angles were questionable. But the real travesty was in the documentary's content. I don't think anyone could have produced a poorer representation of what actually went on at...
Published on December 12, 2005 by Ben

5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS ARE NOT ENOUGH! THIS DESERVES 500 STARS, May 25, 2006
Armand Moliere (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twelfth Van Cliburn Piano Competition - In the Heart (DVD)
I've seen all the Van Cliburn Competition videos and DVDs and have found them all to be great. But this one soars to the heights of musical and visual beauty. It inspires, it thrills, it exceeds expectations in every respect. Give yourself the pleasure of owning it. You'll never regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY RESPECT, May 29, 2006
Quentin Carl Andrews (Glendale, California) - See all my reviews
While the makers of this DVD have taken many creative risks,the outcome is a resounding, astounding, amazing and completely inspiring success. Each time you watch this immensely moving and profound DVD, you will discover new aspects of it, and new depths that may have eluded you on earlier viewings. I saw this with six friends, and we discussed it long into the night after our first viewing. We each loved it, and each for different reasons. I have since watched it at least a dozen times, for I never tire of seeing the amazing photography, or hearing the fantastic music played by these young pianists. This is truly a beautiful DVD in every way. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Experience to Treasure, May 25, 2006
We are so accustomed to seeing films on TV, films in theaters and films on our own DVD or VCR players: sometimes it seems as if all these films just fade from our minds.

THIS ONE DOESN'T! This is one of the most memorable, vivid, vibrant, eye-opening, heart-touching examples of film-making you will ever experience. You will always remember the stunning beauty of this DVD: it is exceptional, it is spectacular, it is a treasure not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPLENDID! VIRTUALLY FLAWLESS...TO BE SAVORED, May 25, 2006
David Arthur (New Haven, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This DVD would win a first prize in any film competition in which it might be entered. It is virtually flawless: the workmanship is invisible but the genius of each and every creative decision made during the creation of this DVD is evident in every frame and every note. This is as close to perfection as a human creation can be. Savor it, enjoy it, and share it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWE-INSPIRING! GLORIOUS TO HEAR, SPLENDID TO WATCH, May 28, 2006
As a music professor, I have access to an enormous number of music videos and DVDs, but this one is a stand-out in any collection. It is a tour de force of the highest quality. I highly recommend it without reservation. This is a resounding success on every level.

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNING ACHIEVEMENT NOT TO BE MISSED, May 29, 2006
With so many extraordinary music DVDs on the market, how can a customer choose a single one as the ideal gift for a music lover? By choosing IN THE TWELFTH VAN CLIBURN PIANO COMPETITION: THE HEART OF MUSIC. This DVD will thrill any music lover. It is a stunning achievement on so many levels. It appeals to the senses, to the mind, and most importantly, to the soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great documentary, April 28, 2007
Tony (huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
This DVD offers a rare glimpse of the live of the few dedicated classical pianists. I feel the director made a judicious choice of just a few, and go into it with certain depth. You just can't do this more than just a few. So if you like the choice, you will really like the movie, otherwise I guess you hate it. That explains why there are both strongly negative and positive ratings. In my case, I really like the choices, Yang, Kobrin, Cabassi and Mazo. It shows Yang to be extremely charming and unique in her expression of music. Now two years after the competition, she has grown to be very popular and successful concert pianist. Her technique is superb and she connects to the audience in a very genuine way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TREASURE NOT TO BE MISSED!, May 27, 2006
A pure magic of this DVD of the Twelfth Van Cliburn Competition defies words: it is pure art, pure music and pure visual poetry. There must be tens of thousands of music DVDs; this one is unique and should be owned and treasured by all who admire, love, adore and profoundly enjoy the greatest music ever created.

5.0 out of 5 stars LUSTROUS, MAGICAL, EXTRAORDINARY!, May 29, 2006
Henry Adams (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
IN THE HEART OF MUSIC is an exceptional work of art: it combines exquisite musical talent, splendid cinemaphotography with flawless editing. It has the excitement and suspense of a competition and the genius of great music. The DVD is itself a gold prize winner, the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight, July 3, 2006
Amy James (Boston, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
For some reason, this DVD has aroused some unusually powerful negative feelings in some reviewers. One can only wonder what underlies their rage. Personally, I enjoyed this. I saw it in a dorm room at graduate school this May, and wasn't going to write a review, until one of my friends informed me that some reviewers have been quite vicious in their beliefs that there is a campaign to promote this DVD. If there is one, it may be because this DVD is extremely popular on college campuses, and groups of friends often urge one another to write to Amazon to say how much they enjoyed a DVD, or book. Those of us who are not musically gifted have found this particular DVD extremely interesting. I, for one, am a Ph. D. candidate in psychology and I have found the way that this piano competition is presented to be incredibly vivid. When I teach my first course in two years, I am going to use it as an example of how different personality types respond to stress and competition. I also found the musical talent of these pianists to be amazing. I urge everyone who is interested, as I am, in psychology, and those who are interested in music, to treat themselves to the pleasure of this DVD.

The Twelfth Van Cliburn Piano Competition - In the Heart