Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on bgg

There is only thing about the Twilight movies that I actually like -- the soundtracks.

Overall, the soundtracks for these movies have been excellent, with some truly sublime songs by talented artists. And I don't have a lot to complain about with the "Breaking Dawn Part 1" soundtrack, which continues the tradition. A few of the choices are headscratchers (Bruno Mars? Really?) but the majority weave a delicate, bittersweet atmosphere over some very enjoyable pop tunes.

It kicks off with The Joy Formidable's "Endtapes," which is a pretty solid way to begin the album -- it's a sprightly song that seems to swing between marchlike beats and swirling pop melodies. Then we have Angus & Julia Stone's "Love Will Take You," a wistful, mellow little folk-pop song that lifts you up and cradles you in a silken wash of violin.

That feeling is carried over through most of the songs -- we have sorrowful, romantic piano ballads by Sleeping At Last, Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz, Mia Maestro and Iron & Wine; the thumping smoky defiance of Belle Brigade's "I Didn't Mean It"; the gentle soaring acoustic guitars of Christina Perri and Imperial Mammoth; and the tinkling prettiness of Cider Sky's "Northern Lights."

But there were a few songs that stuck out like sore thumbs. Bruno Mars' "It Will Rain" just drips with over-the-top drama, and it feels clumsy compared to the subtler songs that surround it. Also, Theophilus London's "Neighbors" is... a rap. That REALLY doesn't fit with the other songs. Whose idea was that?

However, the rest of the album feels oddly cohesive, despite being made by several different artists. There are misty layers of gentle piano and satiny strings, a rougher undercurrent of earthy acoustic guitar, and a sprinkling of starlit synth blips that pop up here and there. Occasionally you get a more robust, boisterous pop melody, keeping the album from getting monotonous -- the Features and the Noisettes particularly.

And it has a very distinct atmosphere as well -- the songs seem to drift between bittersweet contemplation and romantic coziness, reflecting on the loss of love as well as how wonderful it can feel. One song can charm you with its romantic exuberance ("Northern Lights") and the very next can break your heart... and some manage to do both at the same time (Iron & Wine's contribution).

I don't expect "Breaking Dawn Part 1" to be any better than the other Twilight movies, but it's undeniable that the soundtrack is exquisite, if flawed. Ignore Mars and Theophilus London, and this soundtrack ends up sublime.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2011
The Breaking Dawn soundtrack is by far my favorite of the soundtracks, but even more so this score is my favorite of the scores. I had my doubts about Carter Burwell returning, because I didn't really like his score for Twilight at all, but it is like he has become a whole new composer on this album. He actually explains a lot of his reasoning in the liner notes:

"Three years ago, when I wrote the music for the film 'Twilight', Bella Swan was a fairly typical teenager, at fairly typical high school, in a fairly typical - if rainy - American town. The music I wrote attempted to play that world and the ways in which love shifted it's foundation.

"While Bella is still Bella, the world in which 'Breaking Dawn Part One' takes place is no longer typical. Bella is marrying a vampire, is planning to become a vampire herself, while her best friend is a shape-shifting wolf. And that is literally only the beginning.

"Bella's life is no longer that of a typical teenager and the music I wrote for this film is different as well. In many ways this film encompasses Bella's entire adult life - leaving home, marriage, pregnancy, birth, death - and so the music covers a lot of ground as well. While the score to the first film was intimate and centered on guitar and piano, this one grows dramatically in scale, eventually incorporating a symphony orchestra, choir and a battery of percussion. It also traverses wider and wilder emotional territory, and does so in ways that are frankly melodramatic.

"How else would you describe a scene in which a vampire and a man-wolf perform an improvised Caesarean section on the girl the both love, no one knowing what they're delivering? Despite the extraordinary events depicted in the film (and the music), it's still truly a love story, and when the characters occasionally pause and remember this, there is a hint of their first love theme, 'Bella's Lullaby'."

Do yourself a favor and get the Breaking Dawn soundtrack as well, as there are some beautiful instrumental pieces on there that are not part of this score. Many of them are instrumental versions of songs that were featured for a moment or two during the movie.
on November 9, 2011
While listening to this, I have the strangest feeling that the bridge/intro (instrumental)of "Turning Page" sounds identical to an Imogen Heap/Frou Frou song. I just wish I could remember which one.

Overall, it is a great album, I just wish there was a Muse or a Deathcab for Cutie song since those two bands reign true to the series. Perhaps even a nod to Stephanie Meyer's playlists that she used while writing the series could have been incorporated in one way or another into the soundtrack like previous ones. The instrumental score tracks are great thought. "Love Death Birth" had a great infusion and a sense of maturing from Bella's lullaby, Edward's theme, and even a hint of connection to the songs that Robert Patterson sang for the 1st movie. The overall theme of the songs matches the overall theme of the books, Maturity, Change, and Closure. Removing all of the Fantasy stuff, the characters grew up and now have to make adult decisions about relationships so in that aspect the soundtrack also complements the books.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2011
Woo-hoo!!! I cannot wait for Breaking Dawn Part I and the sound track is a good preview for the tone of the movie. LOVE One Step Closer and It Will Rain. Some of the songs will have to grow on me, but I felt the same way about the other three soundtracks. After watching the movie I'll enjoy listening as a reminder to what the characters were doing.
on January 26, 2012
Whether you're a Twilight fan or not, every soundtrack they put out is incredible! They have great music on each movie and I own all of the soundtracks! There are singers/groups I've never heard of but end up loving and then buying their individual CDs - I've found some of my favorite groups off of Twilight soundtracks! Even if you hate Twilight - you'll love this soundtrack and all of the others!!
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2011
I enjoyed the unpretentious, almost haphazard collection of Twilight's soundtrack that somehow fit the almost accidental success of 1st movie of the series. I wasn't as fond of Eclipse's soundtrack nor New Moon's.

As such, I wasn't really expecting much of the series's most challenging installment. But maybe lowered expectations affected me because I really enjoy this soundtrack.

From the quietly joyful "Turning Page" to the throwback R&B of "It Will Rain" to the disquiet of "Cold", there is a wide range of sounds on this soundtrack. Although there are some songs that I am not quite as fond of, the ones that I am fond of make up for that.

Usually I give a 5-star if after 3 weeks, I still like at least 3/4s of the songs and in this case, the Breaking Dawn Part 1 soundtrack passed muster.

My faves are Turning Page, It Will Rain, Like A Drug (Bonus Track) and the 80s sounding From Now on. But I've got a lot of close runner ups.
on November 26, 2011
This is my favorite soundtrack so far. The early ones had some good songs and introduced me to some bands I was unfamiliar with, but many of those songs had originally been written outside of the Twilight universe.

Now that the franchise is so huge, you can tell that artists are writing songs specifically about these stories. Many of the songs on this soundtrack fit so perfectly and have become fast favorites: Turning Page, A Thousand Years, and Eclipse (All Yours)

If you've seen the movie or read the books, I think you will really appreciate this soundtrack lyrically as well as musically.
on November 24, 2011
I have listened to the other Twilight related soundtracks, and none of them are even half as good as this one. (in my opinion). Requiem On Water, Cold, and Turning Page are all incredibly good songs. They fit with the movie so well, and are really touching songs. There are several other good songs. I would say there are two I did not like, but the rest I have listened to for hours. If you are on the fence, listen to the sample and then buy it. You won't regret it.
on January 22, 2012
I will openly admit that I have read the series and enjoyed reading the light story. I did not enjoy the films, but since watching the 2nd movie, "New Moon", I was immediately entranced by the music choice and sound track. It was, in fact, the gateway for my exploration of deeper and more intricate music than The Black Eyed Peas and whatnot.

I have not purchased the Eclipse soundtrack (too much money, too little music I enjoyed), but after hearing some samples from this movie's OST, I took a jump, and I'm glad I did... mostly.

Right away, I fell in love with Iron and Wine's softer, more soulful, and stripped-down version of "Flightless Bird, American Mouth", a nod to the first movie. "Northern Lights" and "Requiem On Water" incorporate similar male-female duets with an almost haunting tone to them. These I also enjoyed. Turning Page, the remarkable wedding song, has an equally remarkable piano base which somehow balances the singer's high-pitched voice. "Love Death Birth" is a fantastic medley of old and new themes blended into a perfect reminiscence. I could go on and on...

There are some questionable choices, however. "Neighbors", though a respectable track, broke a running theme of ethereal longing (with jumps of freedom). Which, I suppose, is the reason why it's the last song on the record. It just doesn't fit. "It Will Rain" is the same. Again, a respectable track, but a little too whiny for the overall feel. "I Didn't Mean It" fits there too.

Perhaps they were incorporated better in the film? I wouldn't know. Overall, if you're looking for some out-of-the ordinary, breakout-artist, quieting pieces of music that tend to grow on you instead of immediately please you, then buy this record. However, it may need some patience.
on December 8, 2011
Don't pay too much attention to the negative reviews. I'm a Muse fan too, and maybe the other Twilight soundtracks are better, but people should base their reviews on what's there, not on what's not there (the latter is important, but shouldn't be focused on too much).
I bought the CD for "A Thousand Years," and didn't expect much otherwise, but most of the songs are good or very good.

1) "Endtapes" by The Joy Formidable (4:10): 8.5/10.
A slightly weird, but very cool song.
It starts things off right.

2) "Love Will Take You" by Angus & Julia Stone (4:31): 9/10.
A really sweet and good song.
I love the music. It makes me think of a casual day out in the country.

3) "It Will Rain" by Bruno Mars (4:19): 9/10.
Bruno, as usual, sings with conviction. The song is heartfelt and easy to listen to.

4) "Turning Page" by Sleeping At Last (4:16): 8/10.
The lyrics are great, and the song picks up steam at the end.

5) "From Now On" by The Features (3:22): 8.5/10.
An upbeat song with a driving beat.

6) "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri (4:46): 9.5/10.
I noticed right away when I heard the song on the radio how simple it is. Still, it's quite touching, and I'm not even a fan of the movies (I'm sure that I would like them, but I've only seen bits and pieces of Twilight).
The vocals are pure and beautiful, and the song is arranged wonderfully.

7) "Neighbors" by Theophilus London (3:57): 8/10.
Despite the vocals being a little rough (it's also odd that only the word "neighbor" is used in the song), the song is pretty solid.

8) "I Didn't Mean It" by The Belle Brigade (3:34): 9/10.
A fun and rollicking rock song.
The lead singer sounds a lot like Macy Gray, and this song should be played in bars.

9) "Sister Rosetta (2011 Version)" by Noisettes (2:59): 9/10.
I like the noise that the Noisettes make here. The song is fast and slick (I can picture people dancing to it). Another highlight of the soundtrack.

10) "Northern Lights" by Cider Sky (3:50): 8.5/10.
Mellow and sweet, and in the vein of an Owl City song.

11) "Flightless Bird, American Mouth (Wedding Version" by Iron & Wine (4:27): 7.5/10.
Okay, this is where the soundtrack starts to go downhill (I think some reviewers are overreacting to how weak the final 5 songs are overall).
The song ends well, but is too slow at the beginning. It just doesn't hold my attention from start to finish.

12) "Requiem On Water" by Imperial Mammoth (2:24): 8/10.
The vocals aren't fabulous, but the song is satisfying despite being so short.

13) "Cold" by Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz (3:40): 7.5/10.
He's a good singer, but I find Aqualung songs to be dull. This one has some more life to it thanks to Lucy (they feed off each other well). It also ends on a strong note (it takes awhile to get going).

14) "Llovera" by Mia Maestro (5:14): 5/10.
A boring song not really worth listening to unless you're trying to fall to sleep.

15) "Love Death Birth" by Carter Burwell (6:04): 6/10.
The music is solid, but few people will be interested in this long instrumental.

Even if you ignore all the weak songs, you'll still be left with over 45 minutes of good music. That makes for an above average soundtrack.