1,198 Reviews

Published on June 30, 2010 by Jessie Potts

1.0 out of 5 stars NO SPECIAL FEATURES (ONLY AUDIO COMMENTARY) ON DVD SIDE
Published on December 5, 2010 by strength newbie

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, best one of the series, June 30, 2010
I have to say I normally don't review movies. I usually try to stick with books (haha hence my name) I also tend not to see movies that were based on books, they are never right ie: Eragon, Blood and Chocolate and yes even the Harry Potters movies were missing tons of sides stories that were in the books. I saw Twilight the day it came out and was both relieved that it was so close to the book, and frustrated because like the book it lacked action. Only the last five minutes had any fighting. The same was true in New Moon, while it followed the book closely it was only the last 10 minutes where Edward fought with the Volturi that were action packed. I have to say I really liked Eclipse. I found that with all of Stepenie Meyer's books (especially Breaking Dawn) there was a huge build up towards the battle scenes, then it just fell apart. Yes it's for a younger age group, but sometimes a little more fighting and action is good. Eclipse delivered good action through out the movie, especially the 'big battle' I found myself wishing that the screen writers would have put this much effort into the first two with the action. David Slade, the director, also did Hard Candy (amazing movie) and 30 Days of Night. I think it was brilliant to bring him in on the project and hope he stays for Breaking Dawn.

I also am glad to say that Kristen Stewert has better facial expressions in this movie. She doesn't look like her face is frozen in only two expressions. Edward also delivers more side comments with good comedic timing. Jacob is hurt in this movie, but the interaction between all three is much less forced and more natural than the first two movies. It is without a doubt the best of the bunch. I won't bog down this review with the plot, because obviously 99% of the people going to Eclipse have read the book at least twice. I can say though that unlike the other two movies, I actually found myself wondering what happens next, and looking forward to how Bella and Edward (and yes Jacob) would react. I'd say if you've been on the fence about the other two movies go see this one, if you hated the first two movies, this one is infinitely better and if you loved the first two movies, I can only say you will love this one even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Every Minute of a Film They Finally Got Right (And Can't Understand All the Hate), July 7, 2010
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)
Prior to going to the theatre, I sat down to watch the first two installments of the Twilight saga; as a habit, I try to re-watch movies whenever a sequel comes out, just to get an idea of how the series progressed and developed. And in all honesty, both contributed to my overall impression and appreciation of Eclipse.

Twilight is a movie I've never really had an opinion on one way or another; it wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't a complete train-wreck. Looking back at it now, I have to say that it is very painful to watch. I, personally, found this first installment to be very mediocre and primitive. Everything in it--the corny music, the blue filters, the choppiness, the transition, the plot selection--felt like a crappy teen flick. But the weakest point of this movie was the lead acting, so weak in fact, that it made the story more difficult to watch. The entire time, I could not focus on anything but the fact that Kristen Stewart kept letting her mouth hang open and scoffing/sighing with every line, while a somewhat aggressive Rob Pattinson kept awkwardly twitching and cringing as if he was in pain. There was no buildup to the romance whatsoever, and it left me wondering why Bella and Edward were even a couple. It wasn't until I got the books for Christmas that I read the story and figured out what was supposed to happen.

New Moon was a fair improvement, coming from a director whose work I generally like. The music selection was much better and more appropriate, the graphics a bit more exciting and the color-scheme more natural. Can't say that the transitions from every scene were done well; this movie still felt like it could be more uniform. And I absolutely loved the entire sequence in Voltera, Italy; that depiction alone is reason enough not to discount New Moon's cinematography. But though this movie was well-shot and produced, once again, the lead acting lacked. Rob made a change, which unfortunately went in the other direction, making him too robotic and emotionless. In my mind, I started to question whether he even had any talent or was just a poor actor. It wasn't until I saw Remember Me that I thought that he had any potential. And Kristen, who at least limited her scoffing to only two or three times, did not shed a single tear in any of the key scenes. Thankfully, her acting was balanced out by Taylor Lautner's, who actually gave a great portrayal of Jacob.

The minute I sat down to watch Eclipse, I had high hopes that David Slade would finally give the Twilight series what it needed - some quality - and walking out at the end of the film, I was anything but disappointed. The flow of the movie was very smooth, and I was actually surprised at how fast it was coming to an end. The special effects and fighting scenes were precisely shot, and the snow-capped mountainside was breathtaking. I am not a Twi-hard, teenager, housewife or part of whatever other stereotype is used to describe people who like this series, but I absolutely loved this movie from beginning to end. In fact, for the first time, I felt like I was watching a re-make of the series with new actors and overall better cinematography.

My biggest surprise was the acting. For the first time, Rob actually nailed Edward's personality and depicted him as he was meant to be--sensitive, caring, loving, witty, protective, etc. Every scene he did, whether angry or laid back, was spot-on and believable, all creepiness and awkwardness aside. FINALLY! And Kristen, though still not at her best, actually smiled and laughed and was fun as opposed to depressed and introverted. This improvement from both of them made all the intimate scenes feel more natural and the romance more believable. All the actors, in fact, especially Jackson Rathborne and Nikki Reed, really stepped up to the plate and played their characters well.

Although no movie will ever give a faithful adaptation of any book, Eclipse got pretty close. And though there were certain liberties taken with the plot, which I remembered well, they did not detract from the key ideas. Overall, the movie hit on all the aspects of Bella's feelings/decisions about love, family, marriage and human life through different interactions with all the characters. Even if I hadn't read the book, I felt like as a viewer, I had enough information to understand her struggle and ultimate choice.

I know that there is always a negative for every positive, so there are plenty of haters of this film. But despite the complaints about the substance/content of the story (which should be attributed to the novelist, not the director), I feel it's unfair to deny that this is more mature, professionally made film that actually breathed some life into what could have otherwise been a cheesy, teen flick.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO SPECIAL FEATURES (ONLY AUDIO COMMENTARY) ON DVD SIDE, December 5, 2010
I am writing this on behalf of my (upset) wife. I'm sure the quality of the disc/film itself is good, but I felt that I needed to put this on here for people that might be thinking about purchasing this disc. It is a single disc with a Blu-Ray on one side and DVD on the other. It is advertised as having a 6 part documentary on both sides, but this is not the case. I did a little research and apparently you have to buy the 2 disc special edition to get that. This is seems to be unfair and very confusing. We have a PS3, but my wife watches in the bedroom where there is only a DVD player. Needless to say, it's very frustrating that we now have to buy another copy of the disc. CHANGE THE ADVERTISING--it makes no mention of which disc does or does not have various features. Everything looks to be identical on both discs according to the box, and there is no mention of the DVD side not including the documentaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclipse, July 4, 2010
After the breakup and so much time apart in New Moon, it is endearing to see Edward back at Bella's side where he belongs. Bella seems much more relaxed this time, Charlie does a great job playing the dad who doesn't quite like his daughter's choice of a boyfriend, and there is a nice scene from Florida with Bella and her mom.

The entire Cullen clan get more screen time, and although I love each and every one of them, I have to say Rosalie was especially striking this time, and Jasper was absolutely perfect in his role, with his slight southern accent, and exceptional fighting abilities. They also take us back in time detailing how these two became vampires.

If Jacob is the one you love then you will feel a little sorry for him, as he is having a tough time both mentally and physically, but the rest of the wolf pack are in good shape and ready for the big fight. They also include a really interesting scene of the Quileute history.

Most everything from the book that should have been included, has been, including the very important tent scene, which is my personal favorite ( I just love the conversation between Edward and Jacob.) Then finally we get to the action with the Cullen's and Quileutes coming together to take care of Victoria and those nasty newborn's.

I can't think of a thing I didn't like in this film, and I will definitely be buying the DVD when it is available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie! Don't buy the blu-ray/dvd combo, September 14, 2010
This as a great movie. Follows the book great. I have the movie 5 stars.
DO NOT BUY the blu-ray/dvd single disc combo. The quality isn't as good because the blu-ray is on one side of the disc and the dvd is on the other side. Summit is just trying to cut corners and save money. I hope they release a real blu-ray of this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, October 3, 2010
Jeanette Oxley (Hurricane, WV, US) - See all my reviews
The thing that grabs so many people in the twilight series is the agelessness. If you are a teenager the appeal is obvious, but those of us that are no longer teens, it helps us remember and ask again "is there such a thing as unconditional love"? I once believed so and this allows us to dream again. It also makes me want a "do over" and has made me reassess my look on life. Each movie gets a little better as far as technical aspect. I bought a new HD 3D t.v. just in case Breaking Dawn is in 3D but it, also, allows me to see, close up, the changes from movie to movie. The make up has improved drastically and the contact lenses have also become more pronounced which in Eclipse was not a good thing for Robert Pattinson because the gold contacts made him look blind in some scenes although he compensated beautifully. Although I really disliked the ending, I was impressed with him in Remember Me. He is an original. I foresee an Oscar in his future if he can deal with all that comes with such huge change his life. Kristen Stewart is a little less "twitchy" in Eclipse and definitely seems more at ease in her skin.It has been fascinating to watch her transform from gawky teen to the sophisicated Bella in Breaking Dawn. Taylor Lautner does well but I have a hard time watching him because his description in the book has him as a very tall man which he obviously is not but does not keep me from enjoying his performance. I admire his dedication to his role.
I am very disappointed with the release date of Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. The fans have been very good to all involved in the Twilight series and I feel it is not being reciprocated. If the dvd release date were sooner, it would give people, in this economy , time to buy more than one Eclipse Christmas gift which, I believe, is the reason behind the long release date.
I urge everyone to treat themselves to this dvd, in my opinion, is the best in the trilogy so far as the acting, technical and quality of the movie over all. Enjoy the visit to unconditional love

1.0 out of 5 stars Max age of 13?, July 16, 2011
This movie is so terrible that I'd like an apology from someone. I admit I watched it out of pop culture curiosity and it is vile. Kristen Stewart has only one facial expression (disoriented anxiety) and I liken it to Harrison Ford in 'Regarding Henry' -- after he is shot in the head. Why is this person so irresistible? I suppose this would be cleared up if I read the book but I cannot imagine willingly interacting with these characters again. There was no chemistry between Stewart and either Edward or Jacob - and I believe Stewart is involved with Pattison in real life. Perhaps they sleep in twin beds. The only pleasure I derived was from the hilarity of the werewolf uniforms: regardless of the temperature, here they come again, clad only in long shorts. In short, it's awful and should only be seen if you have a crush on one of these actors but not if you have any interest in acting, plot or enjoying yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely LOVED it!, July 5, 2010
Quokka7 (Western Australia) - See all my reviews
I saw "Eclipse" on Saturday afternoon. It's simply brilliant! I absolutely LOVED it! "Eclipse" had everything. Action, humour and, of course, wonderful romance! The scriptwriter did a brilliant job of translating the book to the screen.

Bryce Dallas Howard did a great job as Victoria. Who would have thought that nice Richie Cunningham (i.e. Ron Howard) from "Happy Days" would sire such a stunningly beautiful daughter! And yes, I do know that I'm showing my age............

I loved the `Magic Triangle' scenes between Bella, Edward and Jacob. The chemistry between Kristen, Robert and Taylor is fantastic! Up until "Eclipse", I have always thought that Taylor Lautner was the best actor out of the three of them. However after watching this movie, I've changed my mind. Don't get me wrong. Taylor is a fine young actor. He's smart, talented and will clearly go a long way in this industry.

However, I have to disagree with Robert Pattinson when he said that the yellow contact lenses interfered with his acting and didn't allow him to show the kind of emotion through his eyes that he wanted to portray. I think that he showed plenty of emotion through his eyes. I honestly think that Robert is going to be a very good actor and one to watch in the future.

I hope that everyone enjoys watching "Eclipse" as much as I did. I CAN"T WAIT until the DVD comes out so that I can watch it over and over again!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO. NOT. WANT!, December 29, 2010
Worst movie I've ever seen. They're all wearing the same shade of lipstick, acting was horrible (like a jerked up Voldemort), and there was no plot! Graphics might be HQ, but the actual film (plot, characters/development, suspension of disbelief (impossible to maintain)) was HORRID.

Quality over quantity, people! PLOT OVER WHATEVER THIS EVEN IS (can not possibly be called art).

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Adaptation, July 6, 2010
Eclipse is a very good adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's book. There is a good balance between the tension between the characters (particularly the triangle - Bella, Edward and Jacob) and action. I read an interview with Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner where they talk about the differences between New Moon and Eclipse. The overall feeling of both actors was of Eclipse presenting more emotional of the development of the characters. The rivalry between Edward and Jacob is palpable and Kristen Stewart plays off the emotions very well. Clearly, she is committed to Edward but she has to deal with her feelings for Jacob. Overall, the comfort level of the actors in their roles is better. Taylor Lautner, in particular, filled out Jacob's character very well. One could feel Jacob's frustration.

I liked the presentation of the sub-plot stories of Rosalie (Nikki Reed) and Jasper (Jackson Rathbone). Rosalie's brooding over Bella's choice to become a vampire is explained in a well-acted scene and Jasper's character develops showing his strength of character. I would have liked a bit more of Rosalie's story on her transformation into a vampire but I also understand the need to keep the film within a reasonable timeframe. The battle scene between the newborn vampire army and the Cullens and werewolves was nicely orchestrated with just enough emphasis of the individual fight scenes. The concluding scene between Edward and Bella about their marriage and her transformation gets us ready for the final installment. How will Bella deal with her parents after she becomes a vampire? Overall, a well-acted and beautifully paced film.

ARRAY(0xaad6c48c)

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Two-Disc Special Edition)
$14.98 $9.00