1,280 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars FANS OF THE BOOK -- You will LOVE this film!!!
Published on November 20, 2009 by Sunny Books

998 of 1,017 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Not All Extras Included!!!
WARNING: This edition DOES NOT contain all the special features available with the New Moon release. Summit did an evil, evil, manipulative thing with this DVD release and divided up the special features among multiple retailers.

On Amazon you have just the standard discs with a limited number of extras.

If you buy your version at Target, you get an...
Published on March 21, 2010 by E-Transitions

998 of 1,017 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Not All Extras Included!!!, March 21, 2010
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD)

On Amazon you have just the standard discs with a limited number of extras.

If you buy your version at Target, you get an extra disc with Deleted Scenes, Interview with the Volturi, Fandimonium, The Beat Goes On: The Music of Twilight, and Frame by Frame: Storyboards to Screen.

If you buy at Borders, you get extras including Extended Scenes.

And if you buy at Walmart, you get a Sneak Peek at Eclipse (which includes an Eclipse scene), Team Edward v. Team Jacob, Becoming Jacob, Introducing the Wolfpack, Jacob Fast Forward, Edward Fast Forward, and Shooting in Italy.

Summit's hoping you buy THREE copies so that you can get to see all the special features they divided up. Don't give them the satisfaction! Buy one and call it a day!

5.0 out of 5 stars FANS OF THE BOOK -- You will LOVE this film!!!, November 20, 2009
Let me say, I LOVE the "Twilight" books. Like, REALLY LOVE them. I love to read, and I usually read the classics. I'm a Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, Bronte Sisters kind of girl. My friend insisted for two years that I should read "Twilight", but I kept thinking, "Teen vampire romance? Not my kind of book." Finally, this 29-year-old mother of three was on a flight by myself with some time to read, so I bought "Twilight". I absolutely DEVOURED it--I read one book a day until I had finished the entire saga in four days. Luckily, "Breaking Dawn" had just been released, so I didn't have to wait. The "Twilight" books are my absolute FAVORITE guilty pleasure--I love the fluff, the cheesy dialogue, the LOVE--all of it.

For me, "New Moon" really needed to redeem all that was wrong with the "Twilight" movie. After watching "Twilight" last year, I was SO disappointed. Catherine Hardwicke had just taken our beloved series and turned it into a made-for-TV movie. I laughed at all of the wrong places. How Bella and Edward fell in love was completely rushed. I could go on. Melissa Rosenberg butchered the book and everything that made me obsessed with it. Sure, "Twilight" was fun to watch because it was "Twilight", but the portrayal was so, so, so wrong on so many levels. My favorite book had been reduced to lines like "spider monkey."

WELL, "NEW MOON" JUST MADE UP FOR EVERY CATHERINE-HARDWICKE WRONG! FANS OF THE BOOK WILL ADORE THIS MOVIE. Edward actually smiles! The acting was SO much better, the visuals were stunning, and the dialogue was much, much improved over "Twilight". I honestly didn't want it to end. It stayed so true to the book we all love, and the little additions were perfect. I really felt like I was watching Bella on screen--Kristen Stewart was spot on. Every expression, every sad word was perfect. AND THEY SAID, "I LOVE YOU," something that was blaringly absent in "Twilight". Chris Weitz has made a stunning, gorgeous film that lovers of the book will adore! **I secretly wish he could remake "Twilight". This is what "Twilight" should have been!** This closet Twilighter was pleased beyond belief.

It seems like most of the critics' negative reviews have problems with the plot, the story, etc. Well, if you like the book and, therefore, like the plot and the story, you will love the film because Chris Weitz is true to the book beyond what I could have imagined or hoped for. This movie felt like it was made for the fans, so I can understand that if you're not a fan of the series how it may feel like a laboured effort to watch "New Moon". But if you love Bella and Edward **and even Jacob--Taylor Lautner was FANTASTIC in this!**, you will leave wanting more!

Chris Weitz for "Breaking Dawn"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray Buyers Read This First!, March 23, 2010
Amazon only sells the Blu-Ray 1-disc "Special Edition," with very limited special features - if you want deleted scenes and more, you must buy the 2-disc "Deluxe Edition" from Target! If you're just a casual movie watcher (and this review isn't for the movie, but rather the Blu-Ray disc package) and are just interested in seeing the film, with some "making of" and music video-type extras, this edition is just fine. However, if you are (or are buying for) a more devoted Twilight fan, you will definitely want to purchase the "Deluxe Edition" with the second disc that is (to the best of my knowledge) only available at Target stores. It includes all the bonus stuff found on the Amazon version, along with these 2nd disc extras: Deleted Scenes; Introducing the Volturi Featurette; Frame by Frame: From Storyboard to Screen Featurette; Fandamonium: A Look at the Die Hard Fans; and The Beat Goes On: The Music of New Moon Featurette. The Amazon Special Edition has none of those, but costs $5 less. The "Deluxe Edition" also has a collectible film cell. I made the mistake of pre-ordering from Amazon without knowing that there would be two versions, so am forced to return mine to get the better version for the Twilight fan in my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Chris Weitz, November 23, 2009
I wasn't expecting to like it very much but I found New Moon to be very nearly perfect, however I cannot speak to how the movie comes off to those who did not read the books. This movie is a gigantic improvement on Twilight. Thank you Chris Weitz! Can we re-do Twilight now?

This assessment includes, of course, accepting that the movie was 2 only hours long. We can argue around in circles whether the movie should have been longer, but in the standard 2 hours that it had, the movie covered everything that had to be covered. If you found yourself wanting more of a scene or an extra scene, what would you have cut to include it? I would have liked to see Edward smile more, see his sense of humor, and to have been reminded of how happy he and Bella were together up until the fateful birthday party, but alas there was no time. I will be very irritated though if we don't get a longer director's cut on the DVD.

My assessment also includes an acceptance of the source material as it is. The plot is the plot and if it's boring on screen to those who haven't read the books, I understand, but as a visual representation book, the movie was terrific. Also, as intriguing as Stephanie Meyer's characters are, there is sometimes a lack of depth to their thoughts and motivations which readers fill in for themselves. I thought that the actors did a great job filling in the details with the scenes that they were given which, in part, goes back again to the time restriction issue. Bella in the books is, to some degree, a blank canvas. While Bella describes Edward's every facial expression and tone of voice, she does not delve too deeply into herself as far as how others might see her. This is a choice that the author made and we are left with only what thoughts Bella chooses to share with us as readers (And I don't think that she shares everything with us). Kristin Stewart manages to give Bella three-dimensional life in this movie just as she did in Twilight. Kristin's Bella might not be the Bella that you have in your head but she creates a viable version of the character.

I, for one, did like the minor changes to the plot that were made. Most of them were done as necessity to summarize the plot, and I thought that they were well executed. One change in particular, however (the secret twist at the end) was a departure from the book, but I thought that it fit exactly with the direction that the story is going in. I actually thought (yes, this is blasphemy) that the end was an improvement on the book and a better set up for what is to follow in Eclipse.

Overall, the acting was much improved. Bella was still Bella, Edward was no longer shy and creepy, and our little Jacob was all grown up. Taylor L. was wonderful and captured Jacob's transition from a happy boy to an intense werewolf very convincingly. I was looking carefully for over acting from the three main leads but I didn't find any. At least nothing that was outside of the over sappiness of the books themselves. I actually found the blush worthy things that Edward says more palatable coming out of Rob's lips than I had when I had read them to myself. Here again is an actor breathing life in to a character and making those corny lines sound believable.

The supporting high school cast was still a bit silly but I think that the movie was playing to the younger crowd with them. There were things to laugh at but most were intentional and the book had it funny moments as well. However, the little house on the prairie scene (Alice's vision) should have been re-thought. That was painful and it didn't convey what it was supposed to convey anyway unless you happened to notice Bella's newly golden eyes.

Aro and Jane were great and Felix gets a bit more action than in the book, but overall the Volturi were not well-developed. The Cullens were barely seen and I didn't like Jasper's new hairdo but the story's not about them anyway.

I didn't like how the soundtrack was used in the movie except for a few songs that were well placed, like Possibility. Most of the others were fuzzy background pieces. And as a HUGE fan of DCFC and was very unhappy that their wonderful song was relegated to the second song over the credits. In my mind this song needs to be played dramatically as Bella runs wildly through the woods after Edward: EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING ENDS (Sing it with me folks).

The visual effects were great, not revolutionary but believable and that's fine by me. My only requirement was that the effects did not distract from the movie as they did in Twilight. This is not an action film.

So, in my opinion, the movie was well worth seeing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better acting than in the first film, still butchers the novel, February 12, 2010
Megan Troy (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
So personally I'm a fan of the Twilight books, and while this film is much better than Twilight (not that this is saying much), it still waters the novel down to the point where it's rendered a shadow of its "paper and ink self." I actually feel kind of sorry for Bella-the-book-character because her depression is portrayed as solely the result of getting dumped and, as several reviewers have already noted, is doused with all these teen angst themes when in the novel it's much more complex. She's a young girl who's always related poorly to most people, and Edward and his family are among the very few whom she feels on the same wavelength with; they've essentially become her family and she's already made the choice to become one of their kind one day, and when he leaves her she loses all of that and to her mind, it really is "like she had died." To me that makes her emotional state understandable within the context of her one-track mind and marked lack of cynicism, but of course all that gets glossed over in the film and it's just this blank character with no ambition other than to be with Edward in some way. What's more, Kristen Stewart's empty expressions through it all made me gag, but at least they were somewhat better there than in Twilight.

Still, I thought Taylor Lautner did very well in both films, especially for his age, and all of the actors playing the Quileutes more than made up for Bella's lack of acting skills. However Michael Sheen took the cake with Aro: he portrays the creepily manic, greedy, utter-know-it-all of the books to a "T" and for me his hysterical laugh when Jane failed to torture Bella with her mind was the best part of the whole movie. It has its good bits and its decent bits, but the script is crap and sounds even crappier to viewers unfamiliar with the novel, since for most of the cast the most clumsily delivered lines come straight out of it.

All in all, the film is an okay rendition of the book, but far too manipulated to suit the commercial preferences of ninth-grade girls to appeal to much of an adult audience outside the Twilight fanbase.

1.0 out of 5 stars very misleading, May 2, 2011
I was sad so see the version I received was a French copy. The movie is still in English but it's not what is being advertised. The only reason I have not returned the item is because it took so long to arrive in the first place

4.0 out of 5 stars desert dame, March 15, 2010
I am a sixty yr. old woman who loves to read. I was given the first book to read by a friend. I do not usually read books like this. I am a big Faye Kellerman fan for mystery/action reading. I absolutely loved the Twilight Sagas! I felt terrible for Stephanie Meyers after seeing Twilight, she was clearly taken advantage of as a novice to the world of film. I felt that Katherine Hardwicke was very narcissistic in her direction, all you have to do is listen to her commentaries on the film as to why she did what she did. don't even get me started with Ms. Rosenberg. she took a wonderful story and totally rewrote it!she inserted characters and scenes that were not even in the book. I had to re-read Twilight (not that this was the only time I had)to find out where the line " the kids liked those little bottles though" was in the book. guess what it isn't in the book like the character who said it. please for the sake of Stephanie's genius, get another writer before she destroys the last two like the first two. if she could write she would be, not doing this ie:..... those that can't teach".

4.0 out of 5 stars April 15, 1889, log book, Captain William L. Ganfrey, January 5, 2014
As I awaken this morn, the rising sun brings no comfort. Though the storms have abated the horizon still stubbornly refuses to grant us the relief of land. My men grow restless, and I see mutiny in their eyes. Our stores are running low, and we have almost run empty of fresh water. I look out across this never ending sea and like so many others before me see the abundance of undrinkable water. As their captain, I have tried to hold the ship together and I thought the passage chosen was the quickest and safest to our destination. I now see the folly of my best laid plan. We are a doomed ship tossed among the waves, we might as well be tossed among the rocky currents of the river Styxx on our journey to Hell. And most of all, I think of you, dear Elizabeth, and our beautiful twin girls, who I now know in my heart I will never look upon their faces again. I now must leave the confines of my quarters and face my men on deck, for perhaps the last time. Perhaps my doom awaits me on the very deck of the ship I commandeered for so many years.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Twilight Saga: New Moon, February 11, 2010
New Moon had the benefit of a bigger budget, more action scenes, and more suspense. The same cast we love are back playing the same characters. Edward is still gorgeous, and thinking of what's best for Bella. Bella is prettier, more mature, and when her heart was breaking, mine was too. Jacob is looking good with a new body, a new haircut, and finds out he really IS descended from wolves. Alice is still sweet, Carlisle is still kind, and Charlie is still the loving dad. There are some great scenes from Italy, and the vampires really look like vampires.

BUT...

There are no special touches this time around. No cool blue lighting. No beautiful music. No Bella's lullaby, or flightless bird. No Robert Pattinson singing or playing the piano. No Stephanie Meyer making an appearance. No romantic, peaceful dreamy feeling. Also, there will not be any commentary from Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson on the DVD.

So if you loved the look, the sound, and the feel of Twilight as I did, then you might be disappointed in New Moon. I know I was.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, But Only as an Unintentional Comedy, February 18, 2010
It's no mistake that NEW MOON has been nominated for several Razzie awards that honor the worst films of the year. This film is atrocious on every level (with perhaps the exceptions of its soundtrack and the cinematography).

For a teen vampire film, it's tone is oddly self-important and humorless. There are no moments of levity to break up the dour malaise in which the characters in this world seem to be hopelessly entangled. Every scene is without subtext. The characters say exactly what they're thinking and feeling at all times. The result is that the scenes have no tension and fall flat. (e.g. "So, you're a werewolf...")

The acting is stilted and without nuance. Kristen Stuart plasters a single, anguished expression on her face the entire time, and the effect is something like watching someone in desperate need of a bowel movement -- for three hours.

But the real issue is that there simply isn't a story. Without the smoke and mirrors of the supernatural creature element as a diversion, and setting aside for a moment the fact that this is a story about a hundred year old guy who digs high school chicks -- the storyline goes something like this:

SPOILER ALERT -- DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT THE STORY REVEALED!

Edward breaks up with his girlfriend Bella and moves away. Bella becomes hopelessly depressed, but eventually starts hanging out with a new guy, Jake. Here we actually have a lot of promise for a great love triangle, but... the relationship kind of starts to develop with Jake, but not really. Bella still loves Edward and is in no danger of changing her heart. (In my opinion, this is the tragic flaw of NEW MOON. If Bella had, after grieving Edward, really and truly fallen in love with Jake, the story could have taken some interesting twists and turns). At any rate, because Bella hasn't gotten over Edward, she becomes a risk-taker. Why? Because every time Bella is in danger, she hallucinates Edward. These hallucinations make her feel close to him. Well, this risk taking has the unintended consequence of giving Edward's sister a dream of Bella's death. And since Edward can read his sister's mind (when it's convenient for the story), Edward fears Bella has died. Worried, Edward makes a phone call to Bella, but as luck would have it, Jake answers the phone. Edward misconstrues the cryptic conversation he has with Jacob and assumes Bella is dead. Before you know it, Edward's sister shows up and reveals that Edward is going to kill himself. So Bella races to Italy to prevent Edward (who is not reachable by phone, email or telepathy) from killing himself. She does prevent his suicide, and Edward returns with her back to the Pacific Northwest. Jake is bummed, but although Bella feels bad for him, it's a simple decision that she continue to go steady with Edward. The end.

So nothing really changes from the start to the finish of this film. Relationships don't change. People's feelings don't change. Despite being sad, Bella loves Edward at the beginning, middle and end of the film. The thing about a love story is that it's only really interesting if two people FALL in love. But in NEW MOON they STAY in love. It's almost as if we're supposed to care about these people and want to watch them not because they're doing anything interesting, but just because they're love is "special." But what makes it so special? The fact that he's a vampire? The fact is that love is only "more special" when it's tragic. But here it's not presented as tragic. It's presented as idyllic. Snoresville.

But wait a minute, -- Edward is a VAMPIRE. He's going to stay young looking while Bella ages. How can that NOT be tragic? That's called inconvenient, -- not tragic. It doesn't prevent them from being together. You may as well say that EVERY love story is tragic because everyone dies eventually.

However, there is an upside to all of this. NEW MOON is so absurd, the dialogue so hammy, the acting so overly-serious and self-important, -- that it's actually kind of watchable as a comedy. Especially when Taylor Lautner goes, "It's gonna get ugly in here." That killed me.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Two-Disc Special Edition)
$14.98 $9.11