5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Collection of Historical Documents!!!
If you're interested in understanding the Constitution at a new level, this book will set you well along your way. It's a collection of dozens of writings by the Founding Fathers, classical thinkers like Aristotle, Lincoln, Paine, Jefferson, and more common day leaders like JFK, LBJ, and Reagan. It looks at the various opinions and thoughts on Constitutional government,...
Published on January 31, 2012 by Kenneth Bauer

3.0 out of 5 stars There are some gaps here
I am a conservative political philosophy graduate student from Claremont, and as much as I like and approve of everything in this reader, I think there are some problematic gaps that should be filled in any subsequent editions that Hillsdale makes of this book.

My two main complaints: (1) in the "Natural Rights and the American Founding" sections this book...
Published on August 29, 2012 by CJ Wolfe

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Table of Contents Please?, April 11, 2012
I was tempted to take a star off due to the formatting of the Kindle Edition. I didn't because I'm pretty sure it's a fixable error and thus not worthy of removing a star from this notable book.

Where's the table of contents? A book compiling such documents should be easily searchable; a Table of Contents in the Kindle Edition would greatly enhance the readability and searchability of this book. Can this problem please be fixed for both people who have already purchased the Kindle book and for future purchasers?

5.0 out of 5 stars The US Constitution: A Reader, March 28, 2012
Ron Dahl (Ferndale, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The U.S. Constitution: A Reader (Paperback)
It is never too late to try to better understand what the Founding Fathers envisioned for this great country of ours when they crafted the US Constitutuion. The book is not an easy read, but one should expect a little hard work when tackling such subjects as the Declaration of Independence, Federalist Papers, and especially the US Constitution and the threat that modern day Progressivism poses to its very existence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Execllent Readings for Lovers Of Our Constitution, May 4, 2014
Good read for those who love our Constitution as it was written and intended by our founders and to see how we got to the point we are now where most of the current members of the governing bodies consider it a nuisance when advancing their agenda.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good reading, April 23, 2014
This review is from: The U.S. Constitution: A Reader (Paperback)
Very informative reading. I needed this book for a reference guide for my class. Everyone needs to read this book. There were soooo many things I don't know about our country's history. L. Mathews

5.0 out of 5 stars For the serious student of the U.S. Constitution, May 1, 2014
Omega (Northeast Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
The Constitution and supporting documents all in one place. Gathered here are many of the documents (some abridged) which influenced our founders as well as their arguments - in their own words - for, and in a few cases against, the Constitution. There are also essays concerning the Constitution from the years after it was adopted, from Washington to Lincoln to FDR. Also covered is the "progressive" era beginning in 1913. This is a good start for anyone wishing to get an idea of the founders' original intent as well as a good place to begin your own research (and you really should do this) into the founders, the Constitution and many of the problems plaguing us today.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion, July 22, 2014
Hank Acker (NEVADA CITY, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This book along with the online course opened up a new world about out founding heritage and how we have lost our way. Read as a text supplement the focus is on the reasons the founders selected the documents they did for form our way of government. I recommend this book, and its companion online course for anyone who wants to know more about how this great country came about and how by manipulation we are losing our way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have found this book (download) to be a very ..., July 6, 2014
I have found this book (download) to be a very helpful resource when investigating constitutional issues. I have several Constitutional phamplets but it is often difficult to know the precise article I want to answer a question. The reader alleviates this problem by providing a table of contents but still provides the detail I am looking for to provide an answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Constitution, May 13, 2014
This review is from: The U.S. Constitution: A Reader (Paperback)
I know reading history books isn't on everyone's top "must read" list, however I really enjoy most all history subjects BUT mostly our beloved Constitution of America. It's an awesome collaboration of the minds of our Founding Fathers and their brilliant insight that is still our Supreme Law of our Land that should be read and cherished by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Single best compilation of original information on the US Constitution, September 23, 2013
This review is from: The U.S. Constitution: A Reader (Paperback)
This book is 800 pages of information from original sources on the US Constitution. A very few have commented here on Amazon some nonsense about this being idealogically slanted. Obviously they have not even looked at the table of contents, much less read the book, because it includes long writings of liberals who think the Constitution is outdated or wrong.

Nevertheless, I highly recommend this collection as the single best source of writings on the Constitution. That the citizens of the US are in great need of education on their government is obvious when the President of the United States, a former lecturer on the Constitution at a respected school, says idiotic things like "Congress doesn't have a whole lot of core responsibilities". When the highest law enforcement official in the country can say something that stupid and plain wrong, you know we are in a heap of trouble.

For those reading this review who aren't conversant with the Constitution, it is a short document that established our form of government in 1787 and is the supreme law even now. At least it should be the supreme law. The Constitution's main content is a list of the duties and restrictions of the legislative branch - Congress. One of the duties of the Executive (that is the President) is to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed". Since President Obama refuses to execute many laws he disagrees with and grants exceptions to laws at whim (immigration laws, Obamacare laws, Defense of Marriage Act, etc.), he is in violation of the Constitution and should be removed from office.

Yes, I know that is an extreme statement, but I make it to illustrate the importance of the issue. And if you are unable to either refute or agree with the above paragraph, then you had better get this book and read it so you can understand the importance of the Constitution.

Once again, this book is NOT a collection of opinions but selections from original documents regarding our constitutional government. It is divided into 11 sections beginning with the Declaration and Constitution and ending with the change from limited government to total government through the New Deal of Franklin Roosevelt and welfare state of today. It includes writings from anti-constitutionalists like Woodrow Wilson and the Progressives, Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson and others. Instead of reading what is thought about these people and their ideas, this book has their actual writings and ideas and you can make up your own mind.

I freely admit that there are dry sections, but they are important in understanding the subject. I have spent years studying the government and Constitution and I found a number of documents I had never read in here. Take this list of authors from Section I: Jefferson, Aristotle, Cicero, Locke, Algernon Sidney, Lincoln. If you have any knowledge at all of the sources of American thinking, you would recognize that list. This work makes all these sources accessible and excerpts important parts from hundreds of pages that you would otherwise have to sort through.

5 stars. And one more thing. This collection of readings is from Hillsdale College, one of the premier colleges in the country, and you can take a free course over the internet that will greatly aid you in your understanding. Highly recommended also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, June 8, 2012
This review is from: The U.S. Constitution: A Reader (Paperback)
This book is a must-have for every citizen's library. The Constitution Reader is a compilation of documentation from the Founding to Abe Lincoln & The Civil War to the Progressive Era to the Reagan administration concerning the original intent, historical debates, and interpretation of the U.S. Constitution.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The U.S. Constitution: A Reader
The U.S. Constitution: A Reader by Hillsdale College Politics Faculty (Paperback - January 5, 2012)
$40.00 $31.95