4.0 out of 5 stars An Aesthetic Mixed Bag, March 6, 2009
This review is from: The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition (Paperback)
I've only been able to spend a few minutes with this book, but I thought I'd mention the differences between this product and it's bigger brother The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition - I believe the content is identical, and some good reviews have been posted for the Hardcover which you can see if you follow the link.

This version is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, as I understand it. I read a review that complained about the size of the Hardcover, but this edition is smaller than my standard UBS - roughly the same height and width, but half the thickness.

This means the font is tiny.

I don't have incredibly poor vision, but I'll bet that the reading glasses will come out after the third or fourth time I bring the text up to my nose to discern whether or not an eta has a rough or smooth breathing.

Also, I don't remember if anyone complained about this on the bigger version, but the typeface itself is different than in a regular UBS edition. Instead of the bold typeface used for quotations, this edition uses an italicized font (the main font is more, shall we say, "vertical" than my UBS3 - sorry I can't be more technical) which is just Ugly.

On a strictly aesthetic note, that sticker you see in the product image window? That says, "Includes a running Greek-English dictionary"? It's not a sticker. That's right, it's printed on there, in that hideous gold starburst. Forever. Everyone in your Bible Study will know that you're cheating, and there's no getting around it.

All that said, I'm happy with my purchase. The content looks incredibly useful, and looks to be just the tool (crutch) I need at this stage in my understanding of Greek. The portability of this smaller volume is fantastic, even if the font leaves some to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great content interesting format, May 4, 2009
I was really excited to get this Greek New Testament in the mail. I am about to finish my first year of Greek at my church and I found that this edition of the GNT has been very encouraging to use. I can recognize almost all of the words that are not included in the running dictionary which makes it possible for me to read through without having to flip through a dictionary for every word. It also includes parsing so you can check yourself using the footnotes and know what you need to brush up on.

If you are a first year student and you don't want to lose what you spent so much time learning I would recommend this edition to you. The paperback is a nice size but I am afraid it will wear out with daily use. That is my only complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Portable and Compact!, July 17, 2010
IF you are looking for portable Greek New Testament Reader, this is it. I loved the HARDCOVER edition of The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition, but it was too big for traveling. Then the PAPERBACK edition came out! This is thinner and smaller than the hardcover edition. Great for traveling!

1. The reader is very helpful in understanding the Greek New Testament. If you have basic knowledge of NT Greek, this will be useful in retaining your knowledge and more. I read through Philemon in Greek and the reader notes were very helpful and convenient. The value of the reader is apparent when you use it more.

2. The size is exactly the same as The Greek New Testament With Greek-english Dictionary, but thinner (only 0.6 inches thickness). It is same size as Cambridge Pitt Minion Bibles, and it fits into Pitt Minion Bible boxes!

3. The fonts are smaller than the hardcover edition. But this is to be expected. While fonts are smaller, they are clear, sharp, and readable for my 43 year old eyes.

4. This is paperback edition, therefore the pages are glued to the spine. Therefore you must handle it gently and never leave the book out in the sun. The hardcover edition is stitched (smyth-sewn) and the pages are made from thicker papers.

5. The contents are exactly the same as the hardcover edition. So you are not missing out anything.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase. Ideally, if you can afford them, you could have the hardcover edition on your desk and this portable edition for your travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Tool, December 1, 2009
The goal of many NT Greek students is to be able to read out of the Greek NT. This may be the only way proficiency in the language will be realized. The task of reading Greek is made much more difficult the more often one has to hunt down a lexicon to look up a definition for an unfamiliar word. Unfortunately, for most people, the lexicon is needed often enough to push them away from even attempting to read the Greek NT for themselves.

Barclay Newman's The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition aims to make reading the Greek NT attainable by any Greek student. The New Testament is presented with footnotes for all the difficult words. Every word appearing 30 times or less in the NT will have a definition listed at the bottom of the page. All words appearing more than 30 times are defined in the back of the book in a small Greek-English dictionary. Along with the definitions at the bottom of the page, the words are parsed, and the gender of the word is noted.

It's been several years since I've formally studied Greek. Yet I found this New Testament allowed me to work my way through many passages. I hope to start using it more and more and reinforce the Greek learning I have left!

The softcover version I have is quite nice. It appears quite durable, and has a smooth feel. The paper is almost as thin as you'd find in a typical Bible. It is a compact size which makes it convenient for tucking in your Bible case, or for bringing it along with your English Bible to church. The typesetting is clear, and the format of the footnotes includes the Greek word so as to make it easier to identify which footnote you are looking for. I think the size of the footnotes and the text is just right, not too large or too small.

This handy resource will benefit any who have studied or are interested in studying NT Greek. I can't recommend this tool enough.

My thanks go out to Hendricksen Publishers for providing me with a review copy of this book, at my request.

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, March 5, 2010
this bible is the best Greek book that I own. no more reading the Greek text in one book and looking up the translation in scads of other books, all the pertinent meanings of words are right there at the bottom of the page. I hope and pray that the people who put this together do the same for the Septuagint,now THAT would be worth lots of money to people like me who aren't expert in Greek.

tnx,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bible for Greek study, August 20, 2010
This version of the New testament is an excellent study aid for people who are studying Biblical Greek/New Testament. Words that appear less than 30 times in the NT are footnoted at the bottom with definitions and parsing. The definitions are also "paraphrased" to allow for colloquialisms and expressions. It's a very good and easy translation to work with along with other study aids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small! Compact! Easy for reading!, July 8, 2013
Not sure why UBS does not make more compact Greek New Testaments. This is the most compact one on the market. Portable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for students of NT Greek!, March 16, 2013
A wonderful resource for Greek students or for those who want to start to work with the original languages. Excellent as a supplement to the UBS4 regular edition to help get the reader into the habit of reading regularly and encouraging their study.

ARRAY(0x961921c8)

The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition
The UBS Greek New Testament: A Reader's Edition by Institute for NT Textual Resea (Paperback - May 18, 2009)
Used & New from: $69.99