Published on November 10, 2010 by Amy Tiemann

3.0 out of 5 stars Teacher Beware
I teach 4th grade and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are a perennial favorite. I've read all of the books and have had them readily available in my classroom. My students were practically salivating as they awaited the arrival of this book.

Published on November 23, 2010 by Rachael M. Robbins

3.0 out of 5 stars Teacher Beware, November 23, 2010
Rachael M. Robbins "rachaelmr" (Bellingham, WA United States) - See all my reviews

I read it. I enjoyed it and thought it was humorous. If I taught middle school or MAYBE even 5th grade, I would highly recommend it. However, I am really struggling with whether or not to include it in my classroom library. As other reviewers have said, kids who don't like to read devour each and every one of these books. My students beg me to make them available. However, the puberty theme gives me pause. For most kids and their parents, I don't think there's an issue. However, I can see this series opening a can of worms with "that one parent". Even in our society where kids grow up so much faster than we did and are more savvy, not all kids are. In middle school, these issues are happening, whether parents want to face them or not. In 4th grade... I'm not sure if I feel comfortable making that call.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hints at the ugly side of growing up, AND verifed laugh-out loud funny., November 10, 2010
I wish there was a separate forum for reviewing Amazon's customer service, because it's really not fair for an author to collect ten one-star reviews on its release date because people are upset that Amazon failed to deliver the book to them on time. I suppose a best-selling author like Jeff Kinney will survive, but it's still truly unfair to him. These reviews persist forever and they're supposed to be about the book.

So, on to the book! "The Ugly Truth" was laugh-out loud funny. My middle-schooler called out from the next room many times to get my attention to read the funny parts out loud to me. After she finished, I read the whole book myself before she scooped it up again to share with friends at school.

It's refreshing to finally see a comic character grow up because let's face it, puberty isn't pretty, but it is funny. Our Wimpy Kid Greg finally realizes that he is no longer a cute little kid. Now he's finding out the top secrets about puberty (which Rowley hopes not to "catch") in boys-only health class. Going to the harsh grown up dentist instead of the cuddly kids' version, Greg ends up with not only the fear of gingivitis instilled in him, but even worse, HEADGEAR. My favorite scene was the school "lock-in" that went awry in so many ways. I won't spoil the main silliness but the only way the teachers can think of to get the boys to settle down is to turn the heat off and air conditioning on so that they have to stay in their sleeping bags. Meanwhile, the girls are living the sweet life in the heated library media room.

Rowley and Greg were kept apart for much of the book, but their on-and-off friendship, and the attempts by Rowley's parents to find a more mentoring "pal" to replace Greg, were understandable, and funny.

The extended Heffley family factors into the book, featuring Greg's Uncle Gary as a much-married, possibly future version of Greg. Gary is half cautionary tale, half inspiration--in Greg's mind, compared to Greg's parents, Gary seems to be having much more fun.

I was disappointed that the Heffley boys couldn't get it together enough for their Mom to keep up her renewed school studies...that was truly a bummer. Kinney includes a few digs at helicopter parents throughout the book. I hope in the next sequel their Mom will get to stay in school.

Kids will find this book hilarious, and as an adult reader I have to applaud the little details that Kinney comes up with, such as the health teacher's unfeeling reaction to the girls who have lovingly cared for the eggs that they have to protect as though they were babies; and many small touches like Greg's hope that inheriting a textbook from a cool kid will magically make him cool too.

As an author covering middle-school mayhem, he's not just coasting--Jeff Kinney still has his touch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth your time!, December 26, 2010
A Kid's Review
This book was very exciting. Although when compared to the other books in the series, I do not think it is as good. I didn't think the ending was acceptable; it kind of just ended. I think it should have gone on past where it ended. Although some things are bad about the book, more are good. While it is predictable, the humor is good and the idea of the book was intelligent. It is different from the others because Greg is going through new "changes."

His ex-best friend, Rowley, who Greg thinks is childish and a loner; beats him to these changes. Near the end the two of them become best friends again. It was easy to guess this would happen. You'll have to read it to find out how. So I'm saying it is a good book and I hope Jeff Kinney will add to the series shortly(CAN'T WAIT!) Hope this review helped your decision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Student Review by Charlie, December 1, 2010
A Kid's Review
I really like the book The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney because it had a lot of funny comics. One of my favorite parts was The Lock In because it ended up with Greg and Rowley together when they weren't even friends. My Mom was happy for me to get the book so I would read. She knows that these books are the only books I really read. I would recommend this to anybody who wants a good laugh and wants to read a book with a lot of pages but is easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it!, November 18, 2010
Let me start by saying, my just turned 9 year old does not like to read. He reads because he has to at school or because I tell him to. He doesn't enjoy it. He bought this book yesterday at the book fair. He read during silent reading time at school. He read on the bus. He read all evening. I heard him laughing out loud a bunch of times. He finished it last night before he went to bed! He even asked to spend part of his birthday money on the first 4 books today at the book fair!! Finally books that make him actually WANT to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinney stays true to Greg, even as he grows up, October 11, 2011
Pop Bop "Pause and Reflect" (Denver, Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Here's the thing - how do you stay on track and stay true to your creation, even as your books zoom in popularity and your creation becomes a mini-industry. Well, Kinney continues to do that.

But then, can you allow your creation to grow up, and still keep that spark of good-hearted obliviousness that makes your character so popular? (I'm thinking here of how Gary Trudeau tried so hard, but just ran out of steam with "Doonesbury".) Well, so far so good on the Greg Heffley front.

And, because Greg is allowed to grow up, the books haven't become stale or repetitive. The perspective and the issues that matter have changed a bit, and that seems to be keeping everything fresh. So, read on and look forward to the next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morgan from Lake Tapps says,"The ugliest truth EVER!!", March 17, 2011
The Ugly Truth
Do you ever want the ugly truth about something? Well guess what? Diary the Wimpy Kid the Ugly Truth is a great book for you! The authors name is Jeff Kinney. There are 217 pages in the story. That means 217 pages of the ugliest truth ever! I hope you enjoy!
Here is a sort summary about The Ugly Truth. Greg wants to become famous and thinks that he is the best. Even though he is not course. So he tells lies and tries to act cool and ever thing but it doesn't work on any body. Especially when he says he is going to this really cool party that no one can get in to unless you are invited. So, he prints pictures off the internet of the party and prints his face on them and ever one sees them and . . . doesn't believe him. Of course! Read on if you enjoy!

My favorite part of the book is when Greg wants to go to a school lock-in and when he gets there he sees his so called friend Rowley there and tries to stay away from him as much as he can. Then when every one gets cozy . . .they play video games! And of course Greg doesn't bring any thing that's a video game.

The most important thing I learned from this story is that its very good to express your feelings in a journal or diary. I guess if you want to.
Other books by Jeff Kinney are the other series of Dairy of a wimpy kid are Rodrick rules, The last Straw, Dog Days, and the ugly truth!
My recommendation is that you should read this book! It's a funny, hilarious and a bit of a mystery. So keep a look out for the book, hope you like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing Entry in a Popular Series, November 9, 2010
Mary Kate (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
In The Ugly Truth, Jeff Kinney's 5th Wimpy Kid book, protagonist Greg Heffley is facing the prospect of a new school year without the companionship of long time cohort Rowley, with whom he's had a falling out. And it's one of those times in life when it's good to have someone at your side: adolescence. Greg is facing things like Advanced Health, which covers "top-secret stuff', the "this egg is your baby" assignment and an overnight boy-girl lock-in at the school. Discussions about his future and more responsibilities at home are also on his plate and, perhaps worst of all, he's facing the prospect of "The Talk" - an apparent rite of passage in his family - with his Gammie.

Kinney has mastered the form - drawings and text complement each other perfectly and fans will find plenty here to laugh at and even more to identify with. (Does anyone forget the "top-secret stuff" health classes? EVER?)

Success, apparently, breeds imitators - at the bookstore this morning The Ugly Truth sat on a shelf alongside a whole slew of books that looked almost exactly like it with titles like Big Nate, Dork Diaries and Tales from the Crypt. While they wait for the next Wimpy Kid book to be published (and the "Other Books by Jeff Kinney" page in the book promises more are forthcoming), fans might find something to read in one of those similar series. Those interested in branching out a little during the wait might look to The 39 Clues series (The 39 Clues Book 1:The Maze of Bones), Gary Paulsen's works (The Hatchet, etc.) Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series or The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves them!, April 6, 2011
Girliegirl79 (Greenville, MS) - See all my reviews
I just ordered all the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books. My son loves them. I just took him to see the 2nd movie which he loves as well. These books are a great read for children. They are fun and he can't get enough. If he's happy, so am I.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good Truth, March 2, 2011
A Kid's Review
Have you ever had a fight with your best friend? Then read Diary of a Wimpy Kid the Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney. Greg Heffley is lazy kid. One time he was hoping it would snow so he can write his report that is due tomorrow. Greg is trying to get Rowley back as a friend because they were in a big fight. Greg tries to find new friends and Rowley does too. Greg is bored without Rowley. Greg thinks of different jobs he can do without Rowley. Greg finds nothing fun without Rowley. Does Greg get Rowley back as a friend? You will like this book if you are a boy who likes video games and do not like home work because you have the same hobbies as Greg.

The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) by Jeff Kinney (Paperback - November 9, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01