5.0 out of 5 stars a great story and even greater illustrations
Published on October 7, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
I bought this book for my 3 year old, but I think it's a bit too complicated for her. The story is lovely, and I bought this based on our enjoyment together of several other books illustrated and/or written by Ms. Lin. However, her attention span at 3 is too short to get through all of the narrative, so we just looked at the pictures while I summarized. The pictures,...
Published on October 3, 2005 by sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars a great story and even greater illustrations, October 7, 1999
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
this book stands apart from so many of the thoughtless children's books being released by the truckload over the past few years. grace lin's pictures and words blend effortlessly together to create a simple, yet sphisticated, deeply rooted and inteligent childrens book for all ages. I can't wait to see more of grace's books, and try her recipe. yum! i highly recomend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be in Every Library!, June 28, 2001
bookaholic (Herndon, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful story that my husband and children just loved. We learned about some new vegetables in the process. As a kid I wasn't fond of bitter melon, but I'm willing to give it a second try after reading the book! My 5 and 6 year old boys are clamoring for us to go out, buy some ugly vegetables, and make the soup! This book appeals to every member of the family and the illustrations are beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome book and receipe included, how great is that!, August 21, 2004
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Paperback)
Each Grace Lin book I get, I am just so impressed by her talent! Every child loves to get their hands into dirt and growing flowers or vegetables is always fun and gives the child great pride to show everyone their hard work and or beautiful flowers!

Every child wants to be just the same as their friends, especially those in the neighborhood. Mom and daughter start in the spring to plant their garden and while everyone else in the neighborhood each have their own way of tending their gardens totally different from how her and her mom garden. When their plants appear they look like grass, where other neighbors' appear they look like normal plants.

The little girl constantly asks questions as all children do, why mommy, why mommy and her mommy patiently answers each of her daughters questions. When others in the neighborhood have beautiful flowersthat smell so good, the little girls garden has what she sees as ugly plants with no beautiful scents. Once the vegetables are ready to be harvested the little girl and mother gather their wheelbarrow with their vegetables. Later that afternoon the daughter is out playing in the yard and smells a wonderful smell and it's coming from her house! Her mom has made soup using their harvest and her mom gives her a bowl..... it tastes so good! Then there comes knocking at their door and it's the little girls neighbors wanting to trade their beautiful flowers for a bowl of soup. The Mom tells the neighbors about each vegetables and the next spring the little girl notices her neighbors growing " Ugly Vegetables" too!

I love that Lin includes a receipe to make using these so called "ugly vegetables" and that she included their names and even sounded them out. Keep up the good work Mrs. Lin and I'll keep on buying your books and singing praises to anyone who'll read my reviews!

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant, vibrant book, July 1, 1999
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
Honestly, one of the best chidren's picture books out there now. The beautiful, colorful illustrations will appeal to both adults and children alike. The story of acceptance and cultural exchange is timeless and enduring. Really, a wonderful wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Storytelling and Illustration at its best!, June 28, 1999
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
I thought the story was wonderful, this combined with Grace Lin's choice of vibrant colors and illustrations make it a must for all kids! Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for children and adults, June 26, 1999
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
This is a terrific story about neighborhoods and identity. Children will love the vivid, beautiful illustrations, and adults will cherish the tender story. It will make you appreciate the flowers AND the ugly vegetables!

5.0 out of 5 stars The title maybe Ugly Vegetables, but it's beautiful story, May 12, 2007
Tassie (Washington state USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book for several reasons. First off, I have a child born in and adopted from China and am naturally drawn to books relating to Chinese people. As much as I want her to understand her birth culture I am also learning at the same time. We have several Grace Lin books in our library at home and have loved everyone of them. What I love about this book is that it illustrates how we all have something to teach one another and that through our sharing and teaching we actually become comfortable with ourselves. This isn't just a book about some unusual vegetables, it's a story about people and what we each have to offer the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story about a child learning to appreciate her family, August 23, 2012
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
A child feels awkward about her family's different customs but comes to appreciate, along with the neighbors, her mother's Chinese vegetable garden and delicious soup.

As recommended on my children's book recommendation site Books for Children ([...]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ugly Vegetables, March 14, 2006
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Paperback)
One of my two year olds favorite books. Beautiful illustrations and a fun story, especially if coming from a gardening background. My daughter also loves trying to say the Chinese words for the vegetables at the end of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book for teaching diversity, August 20, 2013
This review is from: The Ugly Vegetables (Hardcover)
I read this book at the storytime at my local library. After I read the book I show the children the real vegetables, that I got from the supermarket. If I could I would have made the actual soup. It was a great sensory learning experience.

ARRAY(0xa35b1780)

The Ugly Vegetables
The Ugly Vegetables by Grace Lin (Hardcover - July 1, 1999)
$16.95 $12.73