Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

The title of the book tells it all. The book takes you back to the very first Barbie doll and shows you how you can tell if you have an authentic doll. It also goes through many of the boxed, collectible Barbies and gives a price list for the older and newer boxed dolls and their value if never removed from the box (NRFB) and if they HAVE been removed. Usually, it's a dramatic difference, so if you can handle it, leave these lovely beauties in their boxes! As the boxes get more and more modern, the box itself is going to be valuable.
I was reading in a doll magazine the other day about whether boxes really are all that important, and one collector/seller said if she just saw a box being sold alone for one of her sets at an antique shop, she'd purchase it just to complete her set!
This book was recommended to me by a very reputable Barbie doll seller who sold me my first vintage Barbie (a #5 brunette who is gorgeous!). I agreed as soon as I took a look at it. Not only does it describe Barbies, but it shows the pictures in more than 1,800 photos! A detailed index allows you to look up specific dolls without having to search through the whole book. Collectible, designer, porcelain and children's favorites are described in this 1996 book, which is well worth the price! If you have any interest in collecting Barbies, buy this book!
on March 13, 2001
This book clearly organizes an enormous amount of detail such as head molds, body markings, arm styles and more for over 1,000 dolls produced from 1959 through 1995. The book sticks to the dolls most collectors need identified -- those in general release in the US. The book lists the accessories and outfits the dolls were packaged with so it is possible to dress a loose doll found at a flea market. There are extra sections showing popular shoes, arm and head molds. There are 1800 color pictures of the dolls -- my only complaint is that I wish the pictures were bigger. The price list doesn't just assume the collector has a boxed doll or mint complete doll. And the index saves so much time because it is well cross-referenced so even if you don't get the name exactly right you can still locate the doll. I use this book more than any other. This is the definitive book on Barbie dolls.
on February 26, 1997
This book REALLY is the ULTIMATE! No Barbie Doll Collector should be without
it! I loved the full color pictures of each doll, a Full length shot of the doll in the box, and close up on the face.
The lists of accessories that each doll came with is indepensable to someone trying to complete a doll!
The Face Picture help identify dolls by hairstyle and makeup..I cannot praise this book enough!
It also is a great "Wish Book"!
on January 27, 2000
This is the most complete Barbie reference book I have come across. It may cost more than the other ones, but it will be used 10 times as much. I really like that friends and family dolls are listed as well as Barbie. Each doll has at least two photographs, plus a detailed description of hair style and color, face painting, body and head molds and markings, original clothes and so on. If you are looking for an excellent reference book, you need to get this one!
on March 15, 1997
If you collect Barbies this book could save you time and money. Marcie Melillo throughly covers each doll from head to toe and includes the box it came in. Her descriptions and photos take the guesswork out of identifing your dolls.Novice and expert collector alike will enjoy this book
on April 19, 2003
This is the book the top barbie collectors use. There is none better for beautiful photos and great price guide.I just sold a barbie #1 ponytail and it went for over $5,000. This book will help you identify all the good ones and you won't be disappointed!
on August 29, 1998
You thought you saw one at one time, you probably did, and you havent seen it since. Then can be sure that you'll find it in this book. Personally, I found dolls I had as a child and were lost in the back corners of my memory. For hours I would play endearingly with my Barbies. How could I have ever forgotten about my Live Action PJ? Or what about my Living Barbie? All the wonderful times of digging in my doll trunk for clothes and shoes, all brought back to me so clearly with the help of this book. I was given memories of things I had long forgotten only because of the completeness of this book. I read it and re read it all the time, constantly saying, "Oh! I forgot about this!" and "Hey I remember that! My sister had her!" These kind of comments are most usually followed up with, "Wow, I would have never thought that they would have been worth THIS much today!" Of couse, those are the prices that I pay now to rekindle the feelings of youth through purchasing vintage dolls......Ahhhhhh...but this is only MY reason for collecting and my reason for enjoying this book so much! Thank you for your time and enjoy your dolls! -Angie!-
on January 6, 2000
I am a new Barbie collector and have purchased many books but I find myself always going back to this book as a reference. Unbelievable amount of research went into this one. A must for any Barbie collector, new or old.
on September 4, 2002
This is a very nice book with many pictures and illustrations, distinguishing #1 - #6 barbie, and many many more- Lot s of information on barbie and friends! A must have for the collector!
on September 1, 2000
This book is extrememly useful and will help you identify so many dolls; however, it doesn't list every single barbie ever made and if there ever is a book that has it all I'll definitely be first to buy! But this book is probably the next best thing. I wish it would have had houses, accessories, etc listed also.