5.0 out of 5 stars exceeded expectations, fun for whole family
Published on January 23, 2007 by Robin Lapre

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of repeats.
Unfortunately there is too much overlap between Mr. Seckel's different books. It would be nice if he only published new illusions in a new book and didn't overlap so many.
Published 13 months ago by Dr. Larry

5.0 out of 5 stars exceeded expectations, fun for whole family, January 23, 2007
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
I cannot tell you how pleased I am with this book. I had been loooking for a "science-y" type book to donate to my son's kindergarten class - something to get kids excited about science other than dinosaurs. Well, my son got so excited when he started "getting" the illusions that I literally thought he was going to have a potty accident. He wanted to look at page after page - some of the illusions he got right away and others he didn't really see, but he was not deterred. In fact, the whole family - both parents and 2 kids, looked at the book enthusiastically for much of the night. There are hundreds of excellent photos with nice simple captions. The book is very entertaining and offers a broad array of types of optical illusions. The book does not describe how or why these illusions work, so if you are looking for that, you'll need to look elsewhere. But for a great collection of optical illusions - suitable for your coffee table or your children's classroom, you will not be disappointed. I am going to look at Seckel's other books to buy another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining!!!, December 2, 2008
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
This book of optical illusions, by Al Seckel, is the best I have ever seen. I wish that you could look inside this book on Amazon because the cover does not really do the inside justice. You can look at each page for quite some time and all of the sudden your eye will see the illusion in a whole new way. This book is not only made of awesome illusions, the book itself is made on heavy, sturdy paper that will last a very long time... even on a coffee table. This book is fun for most ages and is really entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now you see it; now you don't!, November 4, 2008
Ameliablue (SC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
My students love this book. During our "Adventure in a book" time, this book is the first to disappear from my shelves!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, December 21, 2008
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
I let my 13 year old son open this present up early. He is a gamer and stays on his xbox360 and computer as much I will let him. The book drew his interest and he has spent hours figuring out the illusions. I highly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, February 13, 2011
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
Got this for my tween daughter for Christmas & she loved it (well, at least it grabbed her attention for about a week or so, which at that age is amazing for any gift!). It really was a conversation starter and was passed around quite a bit during the holiday. Was cool that my 10 yr old, along with myself & the grandparents all found pages in the book of interest - really spans the ages. Book is set up where each page has a different "style" of illusion & it gives the name of what that type of illusion is called. Eye-tricks & hidden pictures on each page was fun to skim through. Great for the price, under $9 shipped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Students love it!, May 16, 2009
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
I'm a third grade teacher. I have a reading corner where students can go after finishing an assignment. This book is one of the many books there. For the last 2 weeks since placing this book there, it has been always grabbed up first with many comments such as..."I can't believe how this can work" or " This is amazing!". This is just the reason why I purchased it. My desire is to awaken and feed the desire for learning and discovery in these students and this book is certainly helping!

4.0 out of 5 stars Optical Illusions, December 5, 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
The book was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be, with many pages of illusions. The paper was not thin as a reading book, but thicker so will last a lot longer. The illusions, some I had seen before, kept me going from page to page and section to section, not wanting to put it down. I got this as a Christmas present for my niece. After seeing it, I ordered another for a gift, but may just keep it for myself. This is not for very young kids as they will be confused, but from 10 or older. It's fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, October 12, 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
The book is in top condition, and it say it is all color pages. I really like the book hope other people like it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am I seeing things or what?, February 10, 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
This is another excellent book of Optical Illusions by a most prolific author of Optical Illusions.If you enjoy these Tromp L'Oeil's,Impossible Figures,Hidden Pictures ,Topsy-Turveys,Imponderables, or whatever you wish to call them;you'll find this an impressive collection of 355 of them .They are very well printed,mostly in color,except some of the very old ones or those better done in B&W.It is a fairly large book and the illusions are printed one per page.There are captions on each,but only enough to give a title or instructions on how to make the illusion "come into being".Some books of illusions go into considerable detail on how and why the mind and the eye works to create the illusion;but not this one.
If this is the first book of illusions you get,you'll be very happy with it.However,there are many books of Optical Illusions,published over the years,with the illusions created by many different Artists.So,if you have seen much in the way of these illusions,don't be surprised if you have already seen many ,or aqdaptation of many before.I have quite a few of these books in my collection.Some are by a single artist,such as M.C.Escher,while others are illusions by several well known artists.
One shortcoming of this collection is that it does not give credit or indentify the artists whose works these are,nor when they first appeared.This surprises me,as most books such as this give these details.
I have other books by this same author such as "The Great Book Of Optical Illusions" which I reviewed on January 1,2012,"Masters of Deceptions" reviewed on November 30,2004,and "Incredible Visual Illusions",reviewed on December 5,2010.You may wish to check out these reviews as well as those of other Reviewers.
These are all excellent books,however,there is quite a bit of repetition amongst these books as well as those by other authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fascinating, educational!, September 20, 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions (Paperback)
This is a type of the book that can fascinate one for hours. I spent a long time on most of the images first trying to figure out what the image is, then how my brain perceived, and then how the artist managed to accomplish the illusion. Some of the images were familiar to me prior to reading this book, but most were not.

This book contains 349 images. One image per page with a title and a short caption/explanation. I am posting a sample of a typical page under customer photos to give you a better idea of what you are getting. The short caption leads you to more exploring of the image on your own, and I enjoyed the experience very much. Some images have multiple images, some straight lines appear to be bent, some images appear to be moving, some things that are equal in length do not appear to be equal. It is pretty amazing to see how our brains can be fooled!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This book is sitting on my coffee table and most of my guests enjoy looking through the images as well. I recommend it!

Ali Julia review

The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions
The Ultimate Book of Optical Illusions by Al Seckel (Paperback - September 28, 2006)
$14.95 $11.09