Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 20, 2011
Casseroles are a frequent meal in my family's house and we have several recipes that we really enjoy. I love how casseroles combine so many wholesome foods into one dish and make dinner coming together really simple. With a casserole, just adding a salad and bread can make a well-rounded and delicious meal. I'm always on the lookout for more ideas that will appeal to my family and help us branch out a ittle beyond our standard fare. So, I was happy to see The Ultimate Casseroles Book, from Better Homes and Gardens, which has "more than 400 comfort food classics." It is a beautifully designed book and I loved how they had the rainbow color coded chapters on the side of the pages to help me quickly find what I was looking.

One fortuitous addition to The Ultimate Casseroles Book, is the "Make it Mine" chart. They list eight basic casserole ingredients and then let you decide how to combine them. This allows me to cater dinner to what I have in the house at the time or cater to my family's specific tastes. There are also lots of casserole making tips, including freezing ideas if you want to spend a weekend cooking and then freeze your meals to make the busy work week a lot easier.

The Ultimate Casseroles Book is filled with familiar, yet fresh sounding classics, like Gingered Cherry Cobbler or Lemony Tuna and Pasta, as well as many regional and international ideas. The Ultimate Casseroles Book has a broad definition of casseroles, with fourteen different categories including meats, fish, pasta, breakfast and desserts and more. Some of my favorite ideas were: Orange Blintz Casserole, Beef Stroganoff Casserole and the Shrimp Rellenos Casserole. The Ultimate Casseroles Book has so many delicious ideas and gives excellent suggestions beyond our handful of casseroles that we typically make.
on December 17, 2011
This cookbook is getting a lot of use in the short time I've had it. I like casseroles and this book is full of great recipes that include the good old fashioned classics like macaroni and cheese as well as new ones that offer something different for comfort food meals.

My family likes Reuben sandwiches, so naturally I had to try the Reuben Sandwich Casserole and it got an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I can always tell how much I like a cookbook by the number of post-it tags I use as I read through it. This one has a couple of dozen and counting. Some that I plan on trying in the next month include Creamy Artichoke Lasagne, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, Artichoke Turkey Casserole, Chicken Chow Mein Casserole, and Bacon Asparagus Strata.

The recipes are easy enough for any cook, and most use common ingredients easily found in a local grocery store. The nice thing about casseroles, and something this book encourages, is that substitutions are easy to make according to one's taste or what is in the pantry. There is even a basic master casserole recipe that gives several ingredient lists to mix and match from to come up with your own dish.

Sections include the classics, hearty meat dishes, poultry casseroles, seafood, vegetarian, international, light and healthy, desserts, dips, and side dish casseroles. Best of all, there are tons of color photographs to inspire.

I do like this cookbook and recommend it to anyone who enjoys one-dish meals and comfort food in general.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.
on November 14, 2013
I've gone through this book and pulled out so many different recipes that I wanted to try. Most of them turned out really good, however like any cookbook you will find some that don't turn out right or are not right for you. Even though I had some bad outcomes I would still recommend this book. They have many great recipes that I have never tried before and many that I would go back and make again and again. This is a great book to have on hand.
on November 9, 2011
Cooks love casseroles because they are versatile, delicious and easy and now the Better Homes and Gardens Test Kitchen has compiled an outstanding resource for this favorite food category.
Turn to any page of the new "Ultimate Casseroles Book" and you're greeted with a classic favorite such as Seafood Casserole or a classic casserole served with a twist such as Mac and Bleu Cheese. There are both savory center of the plate creations along with sweeter casseroles which are perfect for breakfast and brunch menus.
With 400 recipes featured in the nicely illustrated pages of this book, you could serve up a different casserole a day without ever repeating yourself. Casseroles are great for families, perfect for singles as a make-ahead creation and so easy for holiday entertaining. The Ultimate Casseroles Book is destined to become a cookbook classic!
on November 5, 2013
I am loving this book, so far everything made (4 recipes) have been great! I like that they choose lowfat versions of things as common place as well. My family has approved of the dishes too. There is nothing missing from this book, it includes every recipe I could think of for casseroles. My only complaint is the index, which is a problem for a lot of cookbooks. They should take note of Martha Stewart's indexes.
on January 10, 2015
Another great book. Casseroles- Hotdish depends on where you live. With this book you could make something new everyday for the whole year. They give you info to help you make it your own casserole is great for the novice cook. How and what freezes.
on April 2, 2014
This is a great book. Casseroles are becoming popular again and this book offers something for every palate. The variety is endless and you can even create your own using the handy chart on page 23. I have made several dishes and each one has been delicious. One of the greatest advantages is that you can prepare a couple of casseroles on the weekend and serve them during the week or freeze for use later.
on February 8, 2014
Excellent and easy to prepare recipes. Most ingredients are already on hand in the average kitchen. Reading this cookbook was almost like reading a novel and quite enjoyable. I have tried several of the recipes now and each has been just as appetizing as described. This is one of the best compilations on my cookbook shelf.
on May 13, 2012
This is a great cook book filled with many delicious and some unexpected recipes. I would certainly recommend this to others. My only criticism is it is in standard paperback book binding. I would prefer to have this in spiral or coil binding for easier, more convenient use in the kitchen.
on August 30, 2012
This is a really good book. I was impressed by the amount of recipes and the other extra information. I have the same suggestion as another reviewer is that this book should be in spiral or coil binding for a better use in the kitchen.