5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Inspiring
The Ultimate Conversaton offers guidance on the often misunderstood topic of prayer. In it Stanley discusses the importance of prayer, the many ways to approach God, the different kinds of prayer, why some prayers are not answered, how to deal with doubt, what God's silence really means, how to pray for others, and much more.

I considered myself a prayer...
Published on September 6, 2012 by Books and Chocolate

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the book, but the price
Just finish reading an interesting review of The Ultimate Conversation: Talking with God Through Prayer on the Christianity Today web site and came to Amazon to buy it. But I'm leaving without the book.

As long as the ebook is almost twice the price of the paperback and hardcover I won't be. It's not that I'm unwilling to buy books, after all I purchase on...
Published 24 months ago by David Gordon Ducker

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Inspiring, September 6, 2012
This review is from: The Ultimate Conversation: Talking with God Through Prayer (Hardcover)

I considered myself a prayer warrior of sorts but this book has helped me see that I've only scratched the surface of this powerful resource and it excites me to know it can be so much more than it already is. I like that Stanley emphasizes that prayer is simply a conversation with God, and of course, that means we have to listen as well as speak.

The chapter that touched me the most was How God Uses Silence. I think many believers are challenged by prayers that seem unanswered or when God seems absent from the situation. In this chapter Stanley outlines six ways God uses silence: to get our attention, to prepare us to obey him, to reveal sin, to grow our trust in him, to train us to hear his voice, and to teach us to persevere. Jesus taught that at all times we ought to pray and not lose heart (Luke 18), and this was an important point for me knowing that God's timing is not like ours, nor are his ways comparable to our ways. Through perseverance our motives are purified and in the waiting we allow God to arrange our circumstances for the best possible outcome.

Another chapter that helped me gain better perspective on prayer was Talking to God on Behalf of Others with valuable insight on praying when we don't know all the details or how to pray specifically for someone's situation. In this chapter I learned that I can pray for someone in a way that is, as Stanley says, "general in its appearance but profound in its application." In other words, even if I don't know the details of someone's situation or what God intends to do in a person's life, I can still pray for His will to be done.

I liked this book for its practical yet inspiring and easy to understand teaching on the subject of prayer and the biblical examples used. It would be a valuable resource for Christians who wants to tap into the power of prayer more effectively while revolutionizing their faith and ability to approach the Lord in a meaningful and personal conversation.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

5.0 out of 5 stars good encouragement for intimacy with God, September 7, 2012
Joan N. "bookwomanJoan" (Whidbey Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
God wants to have a conversation with you. He wants you to know Him. Intimacy with Him is His first priority for your life. (38) Stanley writes about prayer, "Its purpose is to strengthen and deepen your intimacy with Him." (6)
Stanley reminds us that our perception of God is crucial to our prayer life. He helps us see who God is through Scripture, using the example of Nehemiah. "Nehemiah's story shows us that you and I have the greatest effect when we have an ongoing conversation with the Father and humbly submit to His direction." (55)
He assures us that God is speaking to us today. It may be a whisper or the internal prompting of the Holy Spirit. We must remember that God has His own timing but He will reveal His plans to us.
Stanley reminds us how important it is to learn to hear God's voice. "God speaks to you and me through every situation, but hearing Him is dependent upon our anticipating and paying attention to His instruction." (76)
Stanley uses Jesus' life and teaching as examples of intimacy, showing that interaction with God does not have to be challenging or confusing. Our conversation is centered on God.
We don't pray to get things from God. "The most important things to the Father are strengthening our bond with Him and enjoying profoundly satisfying and transformational fellowship." (132) That's why we pray.

Stanley includes other teachings, such as dealing with childhood experiences, the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, how God uses silence, overcoming obstacles, praying for others, and praying for our heart's desire.

What an encouraging book on prayer. There is much here for the new Christian and the seasoned one as well.
Sometimes we forget how much the Father desires conversation with us. Stanley has done well in reminding us how important the intimate relationship with the Father is.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for Prayer, September 18, 2012
At first glance, Charles F. Stanley's newest book, "The Ultimate Conversation," could be just another book about prayer. Even the back cover suggests it is a guide to help you communicate better with your Heavenly Father. That's what I was expecting.

At a time when people are experiencing unrest, chaos and uncertainty and desperately searching for answers, Dr. Stanley tackles the subject of the hows and whys of prayer, a subject he has written about before in his books, "Handle With Prayer" and "How to Listen to God." As good as those books have been in the topic of prayer, "The Ultimate Conversation" is possibly Dr. Stanley's best book so far.

This all-in-one guide about intimacy with Christ, discerning God's voice, praying for others, winning your battles and finding your purpose is full of simple steps that will guide you into an intimate relationship with the Father above and beyond what you have experienced before. This book will take time to read if you want to truly benefit from the guidelines set forth. If you truly desire a relationship with God beyond a superficial experience, read, underline, study and implement the suggestions Dr. Stanley makes. Study the Scripture and start your prayer time in expectation.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Howard Books, as part of their Book Review Blogger Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly an Ultimate Conversation with God, April 14, 2013
Have you wondered what it is like to talk to God? This book walks you through a series of steps. From the basics of how to talk to him all the way to having an intimate conversation with Him. It answers the questions that most people who don't talk to God on a regular basis other than maybe to say grace at their meals, would have. Is God really listening when I pray? Will he answer me? These and even how to know when he is talking to you. Dr. Stanley is an annointed pastor in Atlanta, Georgia who has been blessed with the knowledge that can help even the person who has never talked to God, have the ultimate conversation with Him. If you are looking for a book that can help you with your prayer life. This would be an amazing start for you. Intimacy with God is every Christian's desire and once it is achieved, there is nothing that even comes close to it. This book starts out with the foundation of what to start with to talk to God. This book shows you that prayer is a process and in each step of the way Dr. Stanley basically holds your hand so that you can understand what you need to do. This book walks you through from start to finish. It helps you understand who you are talking with. It gives you lessons on walking with God and how important it is to know what God's voice sounds like. It describes how God uses silence to convey what he wants for us. Dr. Stanley goes through Overcoming obstacles and seeing that God ordains our lives. The real enemy is sin. He then talks to you about praying for others and how this will draw you closer to the Almighty God. In this same section he talks about what to say when you are talking to Him. Dr. Stanley even talks about our hearts desires and for most this can in itself be a huge thing. He talks about accepting the challenge to wait for our desires and that we must persevere. By the end of the book he discusses Intimacy with God and the peace and joy that the presence of God will bring you. If you are thinking about talking to God or just curious, this book is an amazing book. I know my life has been blessed by this book and my walk with God has become even stronger than it was before, because of it.

Imagine being able to turn and talk to the creator of everything at any moment in your day and know that he is there and listening to what you have to say. This kind of moment does not happen to everyone, but it can and in this book Dr. Charles Stanley explains how even the person who feels that he or she is not worhty of this, truly is blessed with the opertunity of a lifetime. And if you allow God to touch your heart and move in your life it will change your life forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Conversation, September 29, 2012
The Ultimate Conversation is a great book written by Charles Stanley. I have read many books and i watch his sermons each week. He never fails to teach me somethng new about God by using biblical principles stated in a clear way. This book is no exception. "Your intimacy with God determines your impact -power and influence-of your life on those around you.", and "Peace with God is the fruit of oness with Him" are just 2 of the quotes from this book. There are many more good thought provokimg statements as well as a prayer at the end of each chaper.The book helped me to know God better with the clear, easy to understand statents in the book. This is one of Stanley's best books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Dr Stanley, May 6, 2013
I do love Charles Stanley, a wonderful man of God. All of his books are a great blessing and will help you grow in faith through his excellent Bible teaching. This book, which I am still reading, conveys the importance of prayer. Talking to our Heavenly Father is key in getting to know Him, but it is often neglected. One must MAKE TIME for God every day. Prayer should not be used only for asking God for things, Simply spending time with Him, including listening quietly (waiting to hear His voice), shows God we love Him.and want to get closer to Him. The more time we spend in prayer, the better our relationship with God will become. The other side of the coin is reading God's word every day, both the Old and New Testament. I do recommend this books very much as a part of your Christian library. Be sure and loan it to a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for understanding what prayer really means and can do!, September 20, 2012
Pirate2240 "Kat" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
If you are a believer, then I am sure you understand that prayer is a part of a Christian's life. That there is a power to prayer and it's a direct line of communication for us to God. Yet so many of us wonder just how to pray or if our prayers are even worth it. Often times we find ourselves resorting to prayer as a last ditch effort when everything else fails and hardly believe that anything will change when we do. So how can you be assured that God hears our prayers, how can we tell if God is speaking to us, how do we know if our prayers fall in line with God's will instead of it being simply a wish list or to do list for God to act in our lives?

In the latest book by senior pastor of First Baptist Church in Atlanta and best selling author, Charles F. Stanley, he begins to answer these questions and such much more in The Ultimate Conversation: Talking with God Through Prayer. In this book, Charles Stanley answers the questions that all of us as believers have often wondered along with great stories from the Bible and scripture to encourage us in just what our prayer lives should be and what we should be doing on a daily basis. Topics include why you can trust God's character, how the Holy Spirit helps you pray, how to win your battles on your knees, how to pray for others and God's ultimate goal in speaking with you. You can help but be encouraged through this book as I found myself in desperate need of prayer when this book arrived. Just in the first chapter alone, I was immediately comforted.

At the conclusion of each chapter it closes with a prayer guiding the reader in the next step in working toward learning more about the will of God and in using prayer. This will definitely help you grow deeper in your relationship with God and enable you to understand just how simple and powerful adding to prayer to your daily walk will change not only your life, but even the lives of those around you that not only request your prayers but in some cases never ask. Lives can be changed in the most simple response to anything in a Christian's life. We need to make this a first response to our lives in all situations instead of a last minute desperate plea. See how your own life can be profoundly impacted today by picking up a copy of The Ultimate Conversation today!

I received The Ultimate Conversation compliments of Howard Books, a division of Simon and Schuster Publishers for my honest review and think this is a MUST HAVE for any believer. There is so much knowledge to work this into a Bible Study for a personal or even a small group Bible Study to grow in your personal faith with Jesus Christ today! I rate this resource a 5 out of 5 stars and can't wait to see the growth and changes in my own personal walk with Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Develop a Deeper Prayer Life Based on Intimacy, February 7, 2013
Christine Abraham (San Francisco California, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Ultimate Conversation by Charles F Stanley ranks as one of my favorite books to read, because the subject is about talking with God through prayer. I've probably highlighted more than 50% of the book contents, and I look forward to re-reading this on many occasions. Every chapter is filled with wisdom based on scripture as Stanley answers the question "How can we get to the place where we know God's voice and have the confidence to follow Him?"

For those who struggle with hearing the Father's voice, you will enjoy chapter four called "Listening to God, Talking to God." There are 12 things that keep us from hearing Him... and they are explained in this chapter. Pray through the list and if anything stands out or you are convicted, ask God to help you work through your barrier. Another chapter examines "Christ's Example of Intimacy" with the Father. Discover why Christians call God "Father" and what keeps some people from this intimacy.

Stanley writes "Constant, deliberate time alone in prayer is not an option for the Christian life." After reading this book I was convicted to spend more time listening to God's voice through prayer. What needs to happen for you to make the choice to spend time with Him? Through this valuable book I learned Whom I am speaking to, the fact that God has a great deal to say to me personally, and the importance of listening when He calls. Grab a copy of the book and discover The Ultimate Conversation for yourself! I'm certainly glad I read it...

I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, October 13, 2012
When it seems that God has abandoned us and we try to muddle through on our own devices along comes Dr. Stanley with another excellent guide for realigning to God's will and timing. This book was EXACTLY what I needed to pull myself out of my slump. Systematic and step by step guidance with gentle words of encouragement are classic Stanley traits.

Years ago Dr. Stanley's books and studies on forgiveness literally saved my life. This is another of his life giving themes that help us all open ourselves up to our loving God....and His plans for us!

A must read for anyone who wants you rekindle their daily romance with the Father!

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-Reader, September 27, 2012
Just finished reading the Ultimate Conversation. One of Dr. Charles Stanley's best written books ever, and I've read 12 or so, and have his Life Principles Bible. I loved it so much, I want to read it again. So glad it was available as an Amazon Kindle download. Fun!

The Ultimate Conversation: Talking with God Through Prayer
The Ultimate Conversation: Talking with God Through Prayer by Charles F. Stanley (Hardcover - September 4, 2012)
Used & New from: $0.99