Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

VINE VOICEon July 8, 2006
I love to browse through different cookbooks. I have quite a collection, and usually go to the library to find new recipes to try before I decide to purchase the entire book. I normally look for 3 things in a cookbook, besides delicious recipes that will work for my family (including my dogs). This includes:

1) Pictures of more than ¾ of the recipes (Color pictures are the best)

2) A spiral binding, or at least on that easily lays flat

3) New & innovative recipes that have ingredients I can easily find at a grocery store

For this book, I combined my love of my three dogs, with my interest in fun, interesting cookbooks. The recipes are great, and I love that the book includes a chapter for dogs with special needs (allergies to certain food products) as I have a dog that is allergic to both corn and wheat. The chapters include: Cookies by the Spoonful, Cookie-Cutter Treats, Special Goodies for Special Occasions, Good Dogs Deserve Good Treats, and Delicacies for Dogs with Special Needs. The only thing that I disliked about the book is that there are no actual photographs of the finished recipes, and was not in a binding that laid flat. Otherwise, this is a wonderful cookbook with recipes that should leave any dog and their human begging for more great recipes.

Some of dog's favorites include: Tummy Tempting Chicken Soup Cookies, Ginny's Bonanza Treats, Carrot Crunchies, Turkey Day Treats, Grain Free Goodies, and Beef and Barley Biscuits. Enjoy!
on July 13, 2007
This book uses a lot of "pre-made" ingredients (dog kibble, cereal, pancake mix) in the recipes, if that is what you are looking for than this is the book for you.
on April 26, 2006
This is a cute book with a nice variety of treats to make for your dog. The extra nice part is the fact that it fast tracks you to getting the treats made. It doesn't really take you down to making them completely from scratch in all cases, but rather tells you what to get at the store to make treats out of. Instead of telling you start with wheat flour and eggs and water and mix, blah, blah, blah. It tells you "2 cups of Cheerios or Kashi cereal" or "2 cups of dry dog kibble, crushed" and a lot start with varities of Bisquick or Jiffy muffin mixes. This is a nice time saver for all of us who want to make treats for our pets but don't have all day to roll out dough and do it all truly from scratch. Don't worry, there's still enough that you'll need to add that you won't feel like you're just buying dog biscuits at the store.
on April 24, 2010
The writers of this book obviously don't know anything about dogs and what is harmful to them. For example (and probably the biggest thing) the taco recipe in here calls for Avocados... Avocados are BAD for animals (not just dogs) do a google search on it, your dog could DIE. I have a "101 things you didn't know could harm your pet) from the ASPCA, and the things that are listed in this book as things that are bad for your pet THAT ARE ALSO IN THIS BOOK are
Avocados (the book even gives a "nutritional notes" saying how good it is for them... scary)
Salsa (yes it actually calls for salsa)
This book seems unprofessional, almost if someone who does not own a dog wrote it. Now maybe the dogs they tested it on were "ok" with it, but all the "tester" dogs were big dogs, takes more to hurt them, while I have 2 mini dachshunds, and that much avocado or onion could send them to the hospital.
Now past all the bad recipes and bad ideas, they book does have some good ones (BUT you have to know what you are doing, and whats the point of buying a book just for dog treats if you have to look up every dang ingredient)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2008
This has a lot of good doggy treats, but it uses a lot of canned products (campbells soup, bisquick ect) and most recipes have cornmeal in them which is a dog allergen. Other than that it has lots of tips and lots of recipes. Just not from scratch..the semi homemade of dog cookbooks
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Just received a copy of this book a company included free with some baking supplies I ordered.

I can see why they are giving it away free without me asking for it.

Many of the recipes include ingredients you shouldn't give dogs.

In particular GARLIC. You should not give dogs garlic.
Some of their recipes have it from other products (broth) and some have you add it directly including at least one called for as much as 2 teaspoons of garlic powder.

Also many include store mixes that include sugar (Jiffy Muffin Mix), high amounts of salt (store broth or bouillon), dairy (milk, cheese, cream cheese), and onion (broth,bouillon).

Dogs do not need added sugar.
Adult Dogs have very limited lactase so can not digest much dairy.
Dogs do not need added salt. Large amounts of salt (sodium) are harmful and they get sodium/salt from other things they eat. Some things (spinach as one example) are naturally high in sodium.

If you are baking your own treats, the whole point is you can control the ingreditents. So why put in things that should never be put in? are questionable to put in? or can be toxic in higher amounts?

Further the damaging effect of onion (and I think garlic too, didn't have time to find the reference) can be cumulative.

So why intentionally put any in something you make?

The book says all the recipes are reviewed by a vet, Deb Eldridge DVM
a quick google search shows that she describes herself as "semi-retired veternarian - writer"
Apparent she got her DVM from Cornell in '91.
Historically Vet schools didn't do a lot of nutrition education and no idea what if any subsequent nutrition education or research this vet has.

Here is what the Texas A&M (one of the premier Vet schools in the country) says:
The foods mentioned here should be kept off countertops and out of reach of pets, and under no circumstances fed to dogs and cats. Preventing your pet from ingesting these items is the best way to keep them safe. But if they do ingest these foods, Dr. Black recommends contacting your veterinarian immediately.

Further VPI Insurance (one of the the biggest pet insurance companies in the country and owned by Nationwide)
says "Even Small Amounts Can be Toxic"
they also point out that garlic can be 5x more toxic than onion
FYI - Excellent Collection of Articles on Pet Toxins of All Kinds

and if you want a medical journal citation abstract - here you go
American Veternary Medical Association - Journal

Can not find a single credible original source supporting that it is safe. All those claiming it is cite others or mention their personal experience rather than experimental proof (science).

Don't trust holistic, naturpathic, homeopathic claims. Any food or herb claim can be tested by controlled experiments. If there is not credible repeated controlled experiments proving the claim the claim has no merit. It doesn't matter if it is folk medicien, chinese "medicine", or a witchdoctor from Africa. People that believe in unproven remedies based without experimental proof are the same types that Jimmy Kimmel regularly nails on his LieWitness news segments.

Homeopathy is pure quackery.
Proven so in Italian 3 year court case (and it is popular in Italy)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2009
Some of the recipes I tried in this book called for items that were found to have onion flavoring in them. For example Campbells Chunky Chicken Soup has onion flavoring in it. Onion is very toxic to dogs, and I feel that the book is somewhat contradictory. On a positive note, the book taught me to read labels before putting it in my dog treats. My Great Danes are grateful to that as well. Wouldn't want to hurt these beautiful creatures, or any of my other canine friends.
on April 22, 2007
With the tainted pet food scare we diligently searched for a solution for out pets. This book has been a godsend. We will no longer feed store bought treats! We have tried about 6 recipes from the book. Our dogs loved them all. They are relatively easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find in your local supermarket. Now you can put your mind at ease knowing your pet is getting healthy treats. Human grade ingredients not sub par leftovers. The basic bones and their variations are a wonderful alternative to store bought treats. The chicken soup cookies were a cinch to make and a huge hit with our canine friends. If you are looking for that one special cook book for your pets this is it. It even covers special occasion treats. You'll want to share this with all your pet loving friends.
on December 26, 2010
I was very excited about receiving this book and begin making homemade treats for my little dog, but while flipping through the pages the first minute I got it, I came across the recipe for Avocado treats. I have a hard time believing this book is veterinarian approved when avocados are very dangerous for dogs! Any reputable website about dog health has lists of foods that can be harmful for dogs and avocados are always on the list. The ASPCA and HSUS are just two of the websites where you can easily find this information. I have my bachelors in animal science and have worked for companion animal nutritionists and I KNOW that avocados can cause severe diarrhea in dogs, which can lead to death through dehydration among other symptoms. PLEASE do not follow this cookbooks recipes or you may end up with a very sick dog! I regret buying this book and I hope no animals suffer because of the authors negligence to actual animal health. I recommend just sticking to store bought dog treats because those companies know what they are talking about.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
This book wasn't exactly what I expected, some of the ingredients called for are foreign to me, and some of the recipes call for canned dog food, as in the chicken jerky. That is exactly what I wanted to avoid! Kind of disappointed with this book.