Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Ultimate Gluten-Free Cookie Book
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 18, 2011
Cookie cookbooks frequently include a few gluten-free options, but this cookbook is jam-packed with 125 recipes. The book is organized into nine chapters - Successful Gluten-Free Baking, Kitchen and Baking Tips; Drop Cookies; Bar Cookies; Rolled and Piped Cookies; Great Fakes Cookies; Sandwich, Shaped and Filled Cookies; Egg-Free Cookies; and Cookies Made with Other Gluten-Free Flours. The back of the book contains a handy Appendix which provides information for gluten free resources including support groups, suppliers, books, magazines, etc. The index helps to quickly locate any recipe by name, main ingredient, or flavor.

Baking is a precise science and the author has taken great pains to do the work for all of us to replicate cookies we all know and love, including name brand style cookies like Oreos and Milanos, into gluten-free versions. There are too many recipes to list all of them here, but the following is a sample of included cookies: Girl Scout Samoas and Tagalong; Fig Newton; Almond Biscotti; Chocolate Pinwheels; Nutter Butter-Style peanut butter sandwich; Snickerdoodles; Cheesecake Bars and Hermits. There are seventeen egg-free cookie recipes including Brownies, Chocolate Chip, Spice, Sugar, Oatmeal and more.

I tested three recipes and all baked up perfectly and tasted great. The Shortbread recipe uses brown rice flour and the result was rich and light. The Ginger Spice Cookies are delectable and the Cranberry-Orange Granola Bars are perfect for tucking into a lunch box or taking along in the car as a quick snack.

Things to note about the book: Illustrations are scarce, in fact only sixteen photographs are included, but given the modest price of the book and large number of recipes, these shortcomings are minor. This is a paperback book so it doesn't lay open on the countertop, and unfortunately the paper absorbs spills, so using a cookbook holder would be a good idea. Black ink is employed throughout the book so it is reasonably easy to read. No nutritional information is included. And, a small thing -- the book is listed here as 232 pages long but it is actually 198.

This book includes something to satisfy every taste and provide a vast variety of cookies that will see anyone through all of the holiday seasons, bake sales, etc., without feeling deprived in any way. The book is a treasure for those cooking and eating gluten-free and I highly recommend it.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2011
First off no one has mentioned how this cookbook uses 2 flours. PERIOD. She has cookie recipes made with brown rice flour OR sorghum flour. PERIOD. No mixing 4+ different flour/starches to make good cookies! It makes gluten free cooking that much easier when you only have to grab 1 bag of flour and go! The recipes still call for xanthum gum but that's not that bad when you don't have to keep 15 flours in your cupboard.

And can I just say there's a chapter dedicated to "knockoff" cookies. Girl scout cookies anyone?

A very fantastic cookie cookbook that really hits the spot! Thanks Robyn!
44 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2011
This book is a must have for anyone who is gluten free or knows of anyone who is gluten free! I also cant have dairy and I appreciate that most of the recipes don't call for dairy. I'm so excited to try all the recipes in this book and be able to enjoy and share these delicious treats with my friends and family. I already made a bunch of the cookies for a bridal shower and they were a huge success even with people who don't have to eat gluten free. They didn't even know the difference. Roben really figured it out and I am so greatful. It is also helpful that she includes the science of baking gluten free. It answered all my questions about different flours and how it all works. I want to buy all her books and get rid of the ones I have because her approach is way more simple and great for people on a budget.
on December 30, 2010
As the mother of a child who is allergic to wheat and soy I find gluten free cookbooks easier to find and use then wheat free. This is by far the best baking cookbook I have found. Of all the recipes we have tried all of them but one came out good. And finally my son will eat my baking again. For those of you with children there is a graham cracker recipe, and all the classics kids love but often miss out on due to allergies and Celiac disease. Well worth the money!
on December 23, 2011
I ordered this book based on the excellent reviews, and I was not disappointed. Every recipe that I've tried has turned out, even at high altitude, which has caused problems for me in the past. The directions are clear, well written, and include metric ingredient measures, which I think adds to it's international appeal. I would gift it without question!
on June 23, 2011
I have several books by Ryberg, and this one is great because it does use combinations of gluten free flours. By using combinations, you can make more nutritious and better textured cookies and bars. Every cookie that I have tried so far has turned out as described and Ryberg gives an honest explanation of what you should expect from each recipe. My favorite chapter includes egg-free recipes, and unlike some other egg-free recipes that call for egg substitutes, the recipes are completely egg and egg-substitute free. I have made many of them with my 2 year old and I don't have to worry about him eating the dough when I have my back turned, which he definitely does!
on December 30, 2011
You so gotta try the Nieman Markus cookie recipe in this book. My husband gave
some to his adult sons not ever telling them they were gluten free and they were
ga ga over them. They still don't know. I've been baking him cookies to take
on trips out of this book and they are all gluten free even though he does not
have to be on a gluten free diet--no complaints on the cookies! Only yummmss
on November 19, 2012
When looking through this cookbook, it has a lot of great ideas. But when you slow down and look at the ingredients, they each call for only a single flour and no starches. Because of this, the recipes taste odd and don't hold up very well. At first, I decided to see what she was doing and if there was potential since I'm always open to new possibilities. But I will probably use some of her ideas with other flour mixes to make good cookies. But I won't be making any more of her recipes as written.
on September 19, 2011
This book was exactly what I was expecting. There's a great variety of recipes and easy enough for me to want to try them. So many of the books that I've come across have recipes with a lot of ingredients (which makes them expensive to make) and take to long to prepare and I just don't have that kind of time right now. I haven't yet baked anything but my kids and I have gone through and prioritized which ones we're going to start with. I'm very excited to be able to bake wheat-free treats for my family.
on December 20, 2013
This cookbook is the only one with the variety of cookies such as Girl Scout cookies, Mrs. Fields cookies, pecan sandies, etc., along with many of our favorites. The recipes are simple. One to two flours, mostly brown rice flour or sorghum flour so they are easy to prepare and delicious. I'm so excited to have these recipes this Christmas. Can't' wait to make those butter cookies....