Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

If you are a fan of "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" then you will LOVE Deepak's new book, The Ultimate Happiness Prescription! It's the same kind of format: accessible, practical wisdom to use every day of your life. Each chapter is one of the seven keys to joy and enlightenment. You will want to memorize them! The insights are profound, and simply life-changing. This is the book we have been waiting for from Deepak, the one we will read over and over again and cherish each time! I am going to get several copies to give as holiday gifts this year.
55 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
I received this as a gift from my mom one Christmas and didn't have to get further than the title before I exclaimed "Oh GAG" and tossed it aside. Yeah, kind of bratty response, but the fact of the matter is that people who need this book the most are going to be the most turned off by it at first glance.

I disagree with the book's description. I didn't desire happiness, at least as it is commonly defined. I never asked for everything to be all puppies and dandelions, I didn't want to go through life with a silly grin on my face. I just wanted to get up in the morning looking forward to the day for a change.

Luckily, I ended up picking up The Happiness Prescription again a few months later and giving it a chance. The book isn't about forcing yourself to stay positive or smiling when you just don't feel like it. It cuts through the cheesy BS that is so often spouted by motivational authors, and gives you helpful guidelines towards creating a more fulfilling life.

I can only speak to my experience, and as someone who struggled with long-term depression, I think this book is a great place to start. It didn't cure any of my issues, but it did serve as the first step towards changing the way I think.
on December 6, 2009
The best qualities about this book are 1) its readable 2) short and pithy- the writer does not assume the reader is an idiot and babbles on about one thought for pages on end. He gets to the point 3) organised beautifully with exercises at the end of the chapters to help you develop the theories presented

I like this book for its message and writing. I would give it a shot. I don't know if there are better book out there, but this lil book is a good read and I think you will find the principles useful.
You don't have to be New Age to enjoy Deepak's new book. The way he writes indicates that he has an intimate knowledge of happiness and this state of being is achievable no matter what your religion. The main chapters include:

Be Aware of Your Body
Find True Self-Esteem
Detoxify Your Life
Give Up Being Right
Focus on the Present
See the World in Yourself
Live for Enlightenment

I liked the chapter on body awareness because it teaches you to control your negative feelings. I also liked the idea of not putting anything into your body unless it will nourish you. This of course will require the reading of many books on nutrition.

The idea of giving up "being right" will be difficult for most people. I think it is still important to be able to defend your point of view. What would life be like without spirited conversations?

In the end, this book is more about eliminating unhappiness by changing your behavior. If you take the advice in this book and "release the need to change anyone else" you will probably be much happier because you won't constantly be disappointed.

For me, happiness is the feeling of love radiating from the core of my being. Being unhappy is when negative emotions fight to take away that feeling of love. This book has some of the pieces of the happiness puzzle so I recommend it along with some other selections that include:

Spontaneous Optimism: Proven Strategies for Health, Prosperity & Happiness

Deepak Chopra: The Happiness Prescription - THE DVD

It's All in Your Head: Thinking Your Way to Happiness

Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out

What Happy People Know: How the New Science of Happiness Can Change Your Life for the Better

Smilosophy: Getting More Smileage Out of Life

~The Rebecca Review
on December 10, 2009
Recently I've read a lot of spiritual and self help books, and I really loved this one by Deepak Chopra for it's identification of really fundamental principles to live a happy life. The problem I find with spiritual and self help books is that they have too many words, too much advice. How do we really know the advice is complete and and basic enough to applied to our whole life. I got this thought of "complete" and "foundational" from the book Mylife Framework: A Model For A Successful Life Based On The Yoga Principles by Sunil Sheoran. This book may not polish your heart and feeling with flowery words but cuts to the core of all the spiritual philosophy and summarizes how to live a good life. A good - candid complement to Chopra's excellent motivational writing style. Coming back to Chopra's book, although the book doesn't provide a structure for life but it really highlights thoughts that are enough to live a happy life. The best thing, they are not too many advice, just seven principles and only in 144 pages, so I'd definitely recommend it. Definitely worth the time.
on December 15, 2009
Another good book from Deepak. My favorite chapter was "Focus on the Present". Deepak understands how worrying about past and future events is futile. Although it is futile most Americans spend a great deal of time thinking about it. In the past, things they shouldn't have done, things they should have done, opportunities missed. Also, thinking about the future. Will they have enough for retirement? Will they be able to afford health insurance? Will they get cancer or some other disease? All these worries are of the past or the future. They are actually living in times gone by or living in times that are not here yet. Trying to remain in the present is difficult, our minds wander. But if it is practiced daily it does become easier and the benefits are enormous. Reduced anxiety, stress, fear and disease. Also, increased focus, energy level, health, acceptance, joy, peace and purpose.

These anxieties and fears of the past and future are a lie.
Why is it a lie? Because if you live in the moment, not the past and not the future,
think how many of your fears will actually happen today.

Another good book for finding your true wants and needs is "It's About You" by E. S. Smith
on January 26, 2013
I went looking for a book to help me feel at peace and happy again following a very exhausting and difficult year. I felt as though i had lost my direction, my energy, my sense of purpose and my ability to appreciate and enjoy all of the simple pleasures and experiences that used to delight and enrich my life. In short, i felt like I was beginning to take life and everything in it for granted, and nothing i tried made me feel better. I was numb and bored. And then I took a chance on this book and as soon as i started reading it, my life slowly began to regain color, a feeling of lightness and my sense of purpose became clearer and i have genuinely started to feel happier. I'm hesitant to say that this book is for everyone, or that you can expect similar results but then again, happiness is a universal concept and we are all hardwired to pursue and experience it, so perhaps this book should come with such a high recommendation and guarantee for profound transformation after all. Regardless, i can safely say that its a breeze to read because the subject matter is so light in nature, it is eloquently written, exceedingly thoughtful, and the structure is purposefully composed and structured.

Bottom line? If you're looking for some light reading that could potentially change the way you see yourself and the world around you, or if you simply want to read something cheerful and wholesome, i can't think of a better recommendation than this book here.
on January 5, 2013
I realized that this book was supposed to be inspirational, but I'm not sure I received the full meaning of it. It hasn't kept my attention and I think that these concepts are hard to follow when you live in America and everything seems about reality TV. Hard to find people that are seeking "inner happiness."
on June 7, 2010
Had to have my own copy of this simple guide to remembering who we really are after reading it in the public library. I don't usually buy books in hard copy because of storage issues. This gem of a book is a must-own if one is serious about sustained happiness, joy and peace.

Deepak has penned an easy-to-understand guide to living one's life simply while attaining the wondrous gifts of right thinking and right action. By practicing the seven keys I have gained an insight into enlightenment that is profound and attainable by any who are so inclined.
on November 24, 2014
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. I do find the author provides some useful advice on how to live a happier existence. Shed the ego, act from a place of love, focus on the present... However, the author speaks on a very esoteric level that I cannot quite comprehend. For example, when he discusses the true self or true identity and "pure being". I find these to be just words without any real meaning.

And while I appreciate the author's advice, I need to know how to follow that advice. How do we shed the ego and become self-actualized? How do we not feel bad when we are excluded or ignored or someone else gets preferential treatment over us? How can we stay focused on the present while planning and preparing? (and life requires some level of planning and preparation) How do we connect with the highest feeling of love within ourselves so we can act from a place of love? How do we learn to "be in this world but not of it"?

The book left me with more questions than answers.