Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 4, 2012
Let me start this off by saying I was already eating healthy and in great shape before I bought this product, and this review is MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I'm a Mixed martial artist. My lifestyle requires me to be in ridiculous shape compared to the average person, and eating healthy is a necessity if I am to perform as a professional athlete. I fight as a welterweight, so I generally walk around at about 185-190lbs before cutting weight, and I am 6'2". I train 3+ hours a day, usually 6 days a week. I'm not a small person, so I have to eat a lot of nutrients to keep my energy high for the vigorous, explosive workouts that I do.

With all of that being said, this product is just another meal replacement for me. It doesn't give me superhuman cardio, it doesn't make me lose weight, and it doesn't make me stronger. This isn't some miracle in a can that will change your life, IF you already take care of your body.

The taste is not good. However, I have tasted much worse. If you follow the recipe on the label, it's not bad at all. I've tried a million other ways of making this stuff, and the only improvement that I have made over the label recipe is by adding almonds. This stuff normally keeps me full for 3 or 4 hours (my metabolism is high, so you may be full longer), but when I have added a cup of almonds I have been full for up to 6 hours (on days that I don't train).

I don't know what some reviewers were expecting when they bought this product, but it's a ton of pulverized vegetables people. It's not going to taste like a box of donuts or a big mac.

All in all, if you are an athlete and already treat your body well, don't expect a miraculous change. If you are the average American and are out of shape (about 70%) and/or are looking to make healthier decisions, I congratulate you - this product will be a wonderful start.
44 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2004
I started taking this product when I was pregnant and extremely health conscious. It is the best meal replacement out there, and from the very beginning I could feel the difference in my health. Of course, the taste is far from delicious, but after my initial reaction (gag) I now like it, even crave it in the mornings. (I had to make myself like V8 to, and this is healthier.) The price is a little steep at $55, but it is much better on Amazon then if you bought it form the store ($70+ tax) and it is worth every penny of it. It is full of vitamins, healthy grains and vegan protein. It will fill you up (unlike other green drinks) so you eat less. While it does not claim to be a weight loss product, it actually helped me lose 20 pounds by helping me stop my cravings. Try it, you will not regret it!
55 comments|162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2006
I'm 51 years old and travel a lot in my job, which is hard on my body. For the past four months, I've been using Ultimate Meal daily when at home (it's my breakfast), and sometimes twice daily. Usually by this time of year I am burned out from all the travel, but not this year. I feel healthier than in a long time.

I've tried a lot of products, and I consider this one to be far the best. In fact, I've pretty much stopped taking any other supplements --- I just don't feel they're needed anymore. True, it's expensive, but I save money by not buying other supplements. A few bucks a day isn't much, relative to what I spend on other things. As far as the taste, I like it just fine. Some compare it to pea soup, but that's not totally accurate; I don't like pea soup but I like Ultimate Meal.

I was turned on to this product by a friend who is a health fanatic and has "literally" researched and tried everything, at any price. He finally settled on Ultimate Meal as his only supplement and he's been using it for about two years now. For what it's worth, he told me that on many days he eats nothing but Ultimate Meal shakes because it gives him all the nutrition he needs. And he looks and feels great.

As of this writing, the shipping is free if you order two cans, and there's no sales tax, so that helps defray some of the cost. I notice that there has been a recent price increase, though. Oh well!
22 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2012
At age forty-two, I'm certain I've eaten my fair share of mystery chemicals hidden in food throughout these past four decades. Now on the threshold of middle-age, I've gotten concerned about what all this mystery stuff has been doing to my body. Was it part of a mid-life crisis? Perhaps; but I figured better late than never to set things on a better path. I think I may have found that with The Ultimate Meal.

The food industry is just like any other business -- profits come first, oftentimes at the expense of quality the consumer. Stories pop up on the news about abhorrent conditions at chicken farms, tainted meat, e-coli in vegetables... this stuff happens, yet because we're no longer an agrarian society, we rely on others to supply us with food. I do have a garden, this helps supplement a few things, but I'm not a vegan, so that's simply not going to work throughout the year. While these negative elements remain in the back of my mind, I still buy chicken, meat, fruits, and vegetables from the store. I am, however, more observant of what I'm putting into my body.

With that in mind, I started to look into supplements and meal replacement options, just to see what was out there. I came across The Ultimate Meal while browsing Amazon and was intrigued by the many positive Ultimate Meal reviews I had read. What the heck, it wouldn't hurt to introduce something green into the system, so I gave it a try.

I started with The Ultimate Life - Ultimate Meal The, 400 g powder (the smaller version), as I wanted to test drive it before I committing to this larger version. The first barrier for most people will be the taste. It has taken me a bit of time to get used to the "green" taste. I tried the recipe on the back of the container which makes it a bit sweeter and thicker, but it's hard to mask that "grass-clippings" taste. The second barrier is the color. Other than a Shamrock Shake, green drinks don't do much for me. It's certainly not a taste, color, and texture for everyone, but that's where the drawbacks end for me.

So it doesn't taste good, has a funky texture, and is deep green in color... why do it? During a month of daily use, I have noticed some benefits, the first of which has been that I stay fuller longer, four hours or so; the second, that I have the necessary energy to complete my daily run (I do 3-5 miles a day); the third, the ingredients are all natural, which is comforting; and the fourth, after the first two weeks of making this a part of my day, I simply feel good -- no headaches, less lethargy, and less joint pain.

The maker of The Ultimate Meal has stated that profit is not his primary motivation. He says that the product's prices have only increased twice (20% total), since the company started. This is because he does not want his products to be simply better than anybody else's; he wants them to be the absolute best they can possibly be at any given time.

The Ultimate Meal is the healthiest meal replacement I've found on the market. I have used several -- mixes, bars, gels, ready-made drinks, most loaded with sugar -- but find myself coming back to The Ultimate Meal.
on November 13, 2010
I am a fitness competitor and have been eating The Ultimate Meal two times a day for the past 8 months. Sure I've missed a day or two here and there when traveling or just on vacation but generally I go through 2 cans of The Ultimate Meal per month.

What I like about The Ultimate Meal is that it contains the things I need that I normally have a difficult time getting from traditional whole foods. For example: I try to eat about 25 grams of protein and about a half cup of veggies six times per day. I also try to get in three 1/4 cup starch servings, three 1/3 cup fruit servings, and a couple tablespoons of good fats every day. Previously when I would compete I had a really hard time eating veggies in the morning because well - I don't want veggies in the morning. Or I didn't have enough time to sit down to eat a half bowl of oatmeal along with my other food. With The Ultimate Meal I can easily get everything I need into a drinkable serving. Finally, I am terrible about getting variety in my diet and with The Ultimate Meal I know I am getting complete nutrition. With whole foods I tend to eat the same things over and over which can and has caused some nutritional deficiencies for me.

My skin? It looks amazing and until I started eating clean (no GMO, no industrial meat, no chemical salts, no chemical preservatives) I had acne. Yes even at age 35 I still had acne but I don't anymore. Dieting? Yes I have lost fat but I don't feel like I have to try anymore. I don't have cravings because I am getting the nutrition that I need when previously I wasn't getting enough nutrition and would have a tough time with portion control. My hair grows faster now. So do my nails. My energy is great. My brain is alert; I get more work done in less time. I just feel so damned good when I eat this way that I never want to stop.

Caveats? Well if you only ate the Ultimate Meal and nothing else you would be healthy but you would probably go crazy from not chewing solid food. So don't just go cold turkey on real food. While I haven't tried that myself I just don't think I could recommend it. Life is about balance (my opinion). Also when you eat clean, whether with Ultimate Meal or just regular whole foods, your body will detox and those symptoms can be unpleasant. For the first few months of eating clean (this was before I tried Ultimate Meal) I had terrible stomach problems and my skin got worse before it got better. But now I'm over that hump and so much happier. It was worth it. Also for some people the idea of spending upwards of $50 for 30 meals before adding any ingredients is crazy.

My recipe (this is for 122#, 5'5" 36 year old highly active woman, your needs may vary). I eat 6 meals a day, two of which are The Ultimate Meal.
scant 1/3 cup of Ultimate Meal powder
scant 1/4 cup of dry rolled oats (non GMO please)
1/2 cup frozen fruit, I like everything except blackberries, they have too many seeds.
1/2 scoop protein powder, I use casein unless it is pre-workout then I use whey. If you need flavor, go ahead and use a flavored powder.
I add cold almond or coconut milk and blend while continuing to add liquid until the blender is running smoothly. If it seizes you need more liquid.
Then I add about 1 Tablespoon of healthy fat - usually coconut oil or Udos, sometimes flax oil.

I know that room temperature liquid and fruits are recommended but I do not find them to be as palatable, especially in the hot summer.

Blend for a LONG TIME. This helps to emulsify the drink so that it isn't gritty. Usually the only grit I notice is the oatmeal and I kind of like that sensation. If you don't like that, use cooked oatmeal.

Pour into a glass. RINSE THE BLENDER IMMEDIATELY. Then drink the shake. Enjoy.
33 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2004
I have tried literally everything from HGH spray to products advertised on television to weird exercise contraptions to try & feel better. I read about this Ultimate Meal on the Internet & decided to try it once. I've only been taking it for a week, and it's incredible how much better I feel. I have more energy. I'm waking up 45 minutes to an hour earlier each morning feeling refreshed & energetic (which is totally unlike me). If I exercise during the day before I drink it, I feel like I'm on a natural high for the rest of the afternoon. People are right about the look & taste--you have to give it about a week. When I first mixed it, I thought, "Gag--I can't drink that." But I started out mixing it with orange juice & throwing in a banana & blueberries, and it was okay. Now, I just mix it with Spring water & use a banana, and I'm completely used to it after a week. I don't even need all the extra stuff. I would drink something that tasted a lot worse than this for the way it makes me feel. It's really great.
on September 6, 2004
It's handiest when used with bags of frozen fruits, like blueberries. Adding blueberries, bananna and maybe a splash

of pomegrante juice will reduce the extremely green color if

that tends to put you off eating it. Without the bananna it's

somewhat gritty but you can throw in some yogurt with mostly the same results if you don't like or get tired of the bananna.

This is the fastest healthiest meal I've found. Also check out their birch sugar sweetner, expensive but very good stuff.

Also, you need an easy to use and clean blender, electric hand mixers work.
55 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
The Ultimate Meal is a delicious, nutritionally complete and very satisfying product when prepared according to the information on the label. As the label advises, I prepare it as my first meal every day with 1/2 cup organic blueberries (frozen and thawed), 1/2 (or one whole) organic apple, one large or two small ripe organic bananas, one scoop (1/3 cup) of The Ultimate Meal, and 8 ounces of filtered water (I use 9.5 pH alkaline water from the Enagic Kangen Water machine). It is essential that this mix be thoroughly blended with a blender until all contents are pureed and liquefied for best taste and efficient digestion. My method is to thaw the frozen blueberries in a one-quart glass Mason jar, add the apple and banana(s) by cutting them into small pieces, add The Ultimate Meal powder and 8 ounces of water, and blend all with a hand-held stick blender. The result is a delicious, highly nutritious drink which is nutritionally complete and that keeps me satisfied and energized for several hours. The fruit provides excellent fresh raw whole-food taste and the flavor of The Ultimate Meal powder is enhanced and made very pleasant in this combination. My personal physician recommended this product and recipe to me two and a half years ago and I have been using it almost daily since with consistently great satisfaction -- and definite improvement in my health and energy. In fact, my doctor uses this product and recipe himself every day. The manufacturer of The Ultimate Meal offers a free 1/3 cup scoop on request, which provides a quick, easy way to measure the powder. My friendly suggestion to the previous reviewer is that if you, or anyone, will try the method of preparing The Ultimate Meal as I have described and as recommended on the product label, you will be far more pleased with the results than you have gotten by shaking it without the other ingredients. I have talked with the creator and owner of the company making this product, and I believe from his description that The Ultimate Meal is made from the highest possible quality of components and is a highly complete source of nutrition when prepared as recommended. I suggest you try it that way -- I believe you'll genuinely enjoy it and will have equally good results. Here's to your enjoyment and good health!
on October 12, 2012
I had a gingival graft done recently, and had to be on a liquid diet for three days. Being something of a meat-and-potatoes type of guy, I wasn't looking forward to it. So after the procedure, I went to my local large health food store and spent 20 minutes just looking at the various meal replacement products. The Ultimate Meal jumped out at me for one primary reason: the label said that it would fill me up for 3-6 hours. Just what I wanted! (I'm grouchy when I'm hungry).

To get to the point, I was very happy with this product. It did indeed fill me up for about four hours, and I thought it tasted just fine. And as others have noted, I actually started feeling healthier after just two days taking it. I think I was particularly impressed because, while I had been dreading a liquid diet for three days, The Ultimate Meal actually made me look forward to every meal during those three days! So rather than being something I had to "put up with", those three days went by just fine. So well in fact, that I now still drink one serving of The Ultimate Meal each day for breakfast.

If you're looking for a meal replacement type of product, do yourself a service and check this one out. It's the real deal. A few other things to note:

Experimenting: The first time I prepared it, I followed the instructions exactly...10oz of water, one banana, 1/3 cup blueberries and 1/2 Fuji apple. It tasted OK, but not as good as I would have liked. So next time I subbed the water with Almond milk. MUCH better. It was more creamy and tasted better. The next time, I added 8oz of Almond Milk and 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt. Even better! Since then, I've mixed up the fruit, using different berries (mixed frozen) and apples (honeycrisp). The point being, don't feel like you HAVE to follow the instructions exactly. Experiment, and find what works best for you.

Weight loss: The company that makes The Ultimate Meal is being responsible by not promoting this as a weight loss product. That said, if you substitute two meals a day with this, you will likely lose weight. "Ask me how I know". I didn't need to lose weight, as I was 6'0 and 175 pounds. But during those three days I lost 5 pounds. Not necessarily a good thing in my case since I wasn't overweight to begin with. But if you are wanting to lose weight, I would think this will do the trick. And I applaud the company for not jumping on the bandwagon by promoting this as a weight loss product. It's always nice when a company actually UNDERSELLS what their product can do. That seems rare these days.

Expense: Some comment that this product is expensive. But I would ask, expensive compared to what??? This product IS a viable meal replacement. Even when you add in the cost of fruit, you're still around or under $5/serving. That's cheaper than even most fast food meals. Considering the fact that I'd normally spend between $7-$10 on each meal (I work long hours and eat out a lot), this product is actually inexpensive for me. Aside from that, you really do get what you pay for. There are cheaper products out there, but I doubt they're as good. (In fairness, I can't say that with certainty, as I haven't tried any other similar products.)
on January 31, 2006
My wife has gotten off insulin (80 units per day after stroke 2 yrs ago) combining Ultimate Meal with adequate quantity and quality essential oils including Udo Floral Blend. It is a well-balanced quality meal and very affordable.