5.0 out of 5 stars The BarJulians are having a party..., April 9, 2005
This review is from: The Ultimate Mallworld (Paperback)
The Earth has been quarantined by a race of superintelligent pan-dimensional aliens who deem us too violent/dangerous/weird to be exposed to the rest of the universe. So a dyson sphere(look it up)force shield is put up outside the orbit of Saturn and dragged out of the universe completely. Until we're ready to play with others.

O well, there's always Mallworld.

A shopping center the size of a planet. Makes the Mall of America seem like a flea market.

A collection of short stories that feature an assortment of characters, many members of the BarJulian family, the richest people in the little universe we have left.

Funny, witty, creative, and still hold up after over 20 years.

Well worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Somtow Sucharitkul's novels, October 28, 2004
GFX (The Mile High City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Mallworld (Paperback)
This is a great reprint to pick up! I have lost a number of loaner copies and worn down one of my own copies of Mallworld over the years. While many of the basic thematics are very much of the 1980's (when malls reigned supreme in US culture) the collection of stories in the planet sized mall, dubbed Mallword have a timeless theme.

Where many of Sucharikul's longer works feel haphazard and muddled at times the shorter pieces revolving around this theme are well done and portray a larger picture than they individually convey. There is not a turkey amongst them and Mallworld is not only good, it is also fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun great crazy book that helped warp me as a child!, August 22, 2000
This review is from: The Ultimate Mallworld (Paperback)
My father has the first printing of the paperback edition of Mallworld, and I read that book near to tatters over the course of my youth. Although I haven't read the new edition (yet) I'm sure that the addition of new stories and artwork will only elevate this delightful, hilarious book nearer to perfection. I loved it then, I'll buy it now, and I'll read it over and over again. Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 clicks of Totally Awsome (tzum)., October 19, 2001
R KENNER BRENT (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Mallworld (Paperback)
Mallword stands out to me as Somtow's most memorable early work. The vivid scenes that he paints in these stories are still engraved in my mind long after the images of lesser authors have faded. I will devour this latest version yet again. Spectacle!
By the way... What is so unpronouncable about Sucharitkul? (see author's review)

The Ultimate Mallworld
The Ultimate Mallworld by S.P. Somtow (Paperback - April 15, 2000)
Used & New from: $1.06