5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a diet plan that speaks to me!
Published on February 1, 2009 by Mary E. Coker

1.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS & SAVE YOUR MONEY! HUGELY DISAPPOINTING!
Wow...since posting my review there have been a lot of "planted" reviews coached by Dr. Rigden. PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW. IT WILL GIVE YOU THE ACTUAL DETAILS OF THIS BOOK AND WHY NOT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT.

Published on January 21, 2009 by Whimsy Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS & SAVE YOUR MONEY! HUGELY DISAPPOINTING!, January 21, 2009
This review is from: The Ultimate Metabolism Diet: Eat Right for Your Metabolic Type (Paperback)

I had very high hopes for this book. Afterall, the author actually has the credentials to write on this subject! He's not just an M.D., but one of only 15 Fellows of the American Bariatric Society in 50 years. And he really sounds as if he's offering something new and different and EFFECTIVE in the introduction and early pages.

First, he offers screening questionnaires to determine the area or areas of your metabolic dysfunction, which he calls "switched metabolism." They screen for (1) carbohydrate sensitivity, (2) metabolic syndrome, (3) hormonal imbalances, (4) food hypersensitivity, and (5) liver detoxification. I already knew I have metabolic syndrome, hormonal imbalances, and that my liver needs a little support, so it was no big news to find that the screening questionnaires simply confirmed all that. If you are young or perhaps new to the world of how hormones and the metabolism process differs from person to person and impacts one's health, you MIGHT get a little information from going through these few pages of the book. Otherwise, my guess is that you are probably not going to discover anything you didn't already know about yourself.

Chapter 2 was especially disappointing to me. So far, all you've done is read the intro, and gone through the screening questionnaires, and then he suddenly veers from his course of information and asks you to sign a personal weight loss contract. It reads: My weight today is ___. My goal weight in 4 weeks is ___. My goal weight in 12 weeks is ___. My goal weight in 6 months is ___. My goal weight in 1 year is ___. blah blah bah. He's given NO information about what might be a reasonable goal for someone whose body has been resistive to every weight loss effort you've ever tried, and you've tried a lot! This contract is laughable and bogus and has absolutely no place in this book, in my opinion. He then has you list ten reasons why you want to lose weight. Like we've never done this exercise before, right? And then the chapter finishes with general dieting advice we've gotten from every diet book we've ever read: remove all "danger" foods from your house, plan your meals, eat slowly, write down what you eat, ask yourself "why do I want to eat?" before you eat, and then what he believes is the utmost in wisdom--be patient, persistent, plan ahead, think positively, and perspire, aka focus and do the work. Yeah, those are so so helpful and enlightening and oh my goodness I've just never ever thought of those being key to successful weight loss before. NOT!

In my opinion, Chapter 2 shouldn't even be in his book.

Chapter 3 addresses carbohydrate sensitivity in a little more detail, although frankly, not really much. There are other authors who have done a far better job of explaining carb sensitivity than he does. He offers many "case studies" to illustrate how his techniques work, but frankly, they aren't helpful. His suggested treatment for carb sensitivity? Soy protein powder meal replacement program (replaces breakfast and lunch daily) and snacks and an evening meal of caveman/cavewoman eating (aka low carb/good carb). You follow this until you've lost 10 percent of your weight, and then you switch over to a low glycemic-index diet, aka a modified mediterranean diet. And he recommends supplements.

While he indicates that there is some controversy about soy and its role in cancer, he believes there is sufficient evidence to make soy safe to ingest. For the most part, he simply asks us to take his word for it. My largest disappointment here is that he never addresses the larger concern about soy I've been reading in the research, and that is that soy actually SLOWS DOWN metabolism. Why risk further slowing down an already impaired metabolism by consuming this soy protein meal replacement powder? There are other protein powder choices, and I think he should've been more forthcoming about other options. I smell a possible connection between him and the maker of this soy powder.....

His information on the caveman/cavewoman diet and the low glycemic-load diet is scant. But that's because there's just not all that many foods you get to eat. And his recommendation is to follow the low glycemic-load diet for the rest of your life. It is very easy to find food guidelines for these types of diet all over the internet or in books that do far more jsutice to the subject that this book does.

Chapter 4 addresses metabolic syndrome, and isn't much different from Chapter 3--a glossing over of metabolic syndrome, more useless case studies about his patients, and then comes his suggested treatment: The caveman/cavewoman diet (which includes the same soy protein powder meal replacement for breakfast daily) until you've lost 10 percent of your weight, and then you switch over to a low glycemic-index diet, aka a modified mediterranean diet. And he recommends supplements, exercising, and drinking water. And his recommendation is to follow the low glycemic-load diet for the rest of your life.

Sound familiar? But wait, there's more.

Chapter 5 addresses hormonal imbalances, especially thyroid, estrogen dominance, and PCOS. To implement any of his recommendations here, you have to find a physician willing to prescribe thyroid medication and/or natural progesterone. There aren't that many docs out there willing to do this, especially if you are one of those under-diagnosed with hypothyroid, which you most likely are. More of his case studies which are neither enlightening nor helpful. And once again his treatment strategies: more of the soy protein powder replacement meal and following the low-glycemic-load diet.

Overall, a very unhelpful chapter with very little substantive information.

Chapter 6 moves on to address food hypersensitivities. The suggested program: nothing more then the usual elimination diet, gradually re-introducing various foods in order to find those that may cause you problems. A lengthy and daunting process which one may find nearly impossible to do. And other authors have addresses this concern, food hypersensitivity, far better than this book does. My recommendation is that if you score high enough on his screening questionnaire to indicate that food hypersensitivity may be a problem for you, then go get better books about the subject.

Chapter 7 addresses the final metabolic challenge: impaired liver detoxification. His recommendations for detoxing your liver are the standard--go on an elimination diet for 4 weeks, reintroduce foods slowly, (note that these steps are identical to that follwed in the previous chapter for food allergies/hypersensitivities), and consume a detox beverage such as ultraclear by the same company that makes the soy protein powder he pushes for all his other plans. The food you can eat during this month-long torture is miniscule, unsatisfying, and would cause Ghandi to lose weight. His suggestion to "choose a 4-week period for the program in which you do not plan to travel, have company, or participate in stressful events" is absolutely laughable!

And of course what diet book would be complete without the chapter on emotional eating, dealing with stress, and self-image assessment. A handful of recipes in the back, and that's it. That's his ULTIMATE metabolism diet.

Don't waste your money on this one, folks. Get it from your local library if you must, but there is absolutely nothing new in this book, and it's very clear that he is out to make money and fame for himself, and little else. I also wonder about his connection to the company whose products he pushes for almost every treatment recommendation he makes?????

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a diet plan that speaks to me!, February 1, 2009
I loved this book. It is individualized. Most of the recent books out are aimed at lowering sugars and refined carbs in ones diet. This is fine but for people like myself who already eat that way and still continue to plump up some other pieces of information were missing. This book covers all the other reasons that one's body may have gone into "storage" mode. I thought the Practical Tips part of each section was most useful,especially the parts on "trigger" foods and safely eliminating wheat, milk and eggs. For those of us without medical insurance it gives excellent guidelines of safe things that we can try ourselves.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, not very useful, March 26, 2013
I was very hopeful when I read this that it really gave some information about metabolism issues and how to work with them.
My wife has high cortisol, this has been tested and confirmed by a M.D., yet the "Tests" in this book showed she didn't have cortisol and didn't even ask about the most common symptoms of someone who has high cortisol.
The diet given for high cortisol would not be something effective for my wife and is nothing like the diet or supplements that she uses to successfully manage her high cortisol.

She also has food allergies, verified by food allergy testing, and again the "Tests" in this book said she didn't have food allergies.

The tests were very simplistic (e.g. if you eat out, irregardless of whether it is healthy or junk food, it raises your score for metabolic syndrome).

The Diets for the conditions were not nearly as good as the ones you can get free on the internet for the conditions.

Overall, not worth wasting your money, do internet searches and find reliable sources instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, July 3, 2009
I lost 50 pounds in 16 weeks following the guidelines found in this book and recipes in the The Good Carb Cookbook. I'v never dieted before but found this book not only dealt with the weight issues I was 245 pounds but also other health issues such as hypertension among other things I was dealing with. I'm now 195 pounds and have reduced the amount of medication I was taking for hypertension by half as well as having much more energy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, March 19, 2013
I went on the 30 day modified food allergy diet almost immediately and it has made such a difference in my well-being.
I'm probably going to do the 90 day one because I feel so good now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book using natural ways to reduce weight and find out what is going on with you!, March 26, 2011
It is so refreshing to see an MD using nutritional approaches in treating patients. Finally, getting answers and finding underlying causes rather than just treating the symptoms is hopefully where our nation is headed. That is pretty much what this book is about. For instance, if you have symptoms of depression, irritability, low body temperature, weight gain, chronic fatigue, etc. You could be experiencing hormone imbalances. Not one physician I sought out had ever told me this even though I had come to them about serveral of the symptoms listed in this book. That is just one issue he addresses and there are many more. He backs up everthing he preaches with scientific facts and clinical trials throughout the book which booth WOW and inspire you. On top of all of this information he explains in detail how to organically turn your health around. You will find yourself refering back to this book time and time again for yourself as well as other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed book and approach to diet, March 25, 2009
Mark Twain (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This book and this regime have made an enormous difference in my aunt's life - after only a few weeks following Dr. Rigden's diet recommendations she feels well again, has energy, has lost weight, and just generally has a new lease on life. My aunt has tried many, many approaches to eating for her health, weight control, and stamina. Dr. Rigden's eating plan really is different and has definitely been right for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive Approach, February 6, 2009
Lisa Barnett (Silver City, NM) - See all my reviews
For those have unsuccessfully tried many different diets to lose weight, I urge you to read this book, written by an MD who specializes in weight loss and nutritional approaches to chronic illness.

Dr. Rigden's approach is for you to identify your metabolic type, plan your diet accordingly, and include recommended supplements.

I have read many books on weight loss, yet I found new information in this book which was very helpful to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walked the walk in AZ, February 9, 2009
I have been a patient of Dr Rigden's for at least 5 years and it is great to see him put in print the advice he has given me over the years. If you need to lose 20 pounds or 200 pounds, I believe that you can do it if you want to put in the energy and effort to make changes. I am amazed at the number of overweight people who know talk the talk but won't walk the walk. I recommend the book, and if you live in AZ, go in and tell Dr Rigden that Julia sent you....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, March 9, 2009
i generally do not write book reviews because running a household and raising four boys keeps my free time relatively short. so, i am writing my first because this book re-ignited my weight-loss fire that had been a dying ember since the birth of my last child and subsequent weight gain. i have struggled with weight since my teens, and celebrated my one year wedding anniversary with a 100lb gain. i was able to lose some weight, gain some, lose some, and gain some. i read a variety of books ranging from the zone to the old/new atkins to eating right for my blood type and so on. i would try the "lifestyle change" for a week or two, become quickly frustrated about the lack of results, and put the text back on the designated weight-loss shelf. this book was different for me. the meal plans and supplement suggestions i had run into before, but they were never presented in conjunction with detailed information that explained the bioogical processes of MY body. before, i felt as if i was taking a proverbial stab in the dark, whereas the questionaires in each section helped refine what was happening with ME. i don't see this book as a magic cure all that will rid of my weight affliction forever, rather i view is as an invaluable tool, and even more importantly, a first step on my long overdue journey to losing weight, understanding my body, and living a healthy lifestyle. i know i can finally suceed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Ultimate Metabolism Diet: Eat Right for Your Metabolic Type
The Ultimate Metabolism Diet: Eat Right for Your Metabolic Type by Scott Rigden (Paperback - December 30, 2008)
$16.95 $13.69