Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Ultimate Miracle Grill Mat Set
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 8, 2014
As with most "As Seen on TV" stuff, I was skeptical (albeit grateful) when I received this as a gift from my wife and sons. But last night I tried the mats out for the first time. Hamburgers were my target meat for the evening.

As specified in the instructions, I washed the mats before their first use. I was also careful to use them on a grill that was running about 475 degrees, and then only after the grill was brought to temperature. (The mats are rated only for use at or under 500 degrees ... a detail I suspect some other reviewers failed to pay attention to.) Short version of the outcome: I had great success with the mats. My burgers were wonderful and well-cooked and took no more time to prepare than usual.

Here are some mental notes I made for next time may be helpful to others also.

* The mats are non-stick. I mean, NON-STICK. The coefficient of sliding friction on these bad boys surely approaches 0 under normal grilling conditions! (Other reviews that dispute this *must* have been doing something wrong.) This creates a small problem -- that of chasing your burgers around the mat with a spatula when trying to scoop them up. SOLUTION: Use a second tool (spoon, fork, etc.) to keep the meat still while you slip the spatula beneath it.

* The mats have no raised edges. While the ad brags about reduced flare-ups due to grease not dripping below the meat, that's only true to the degree that grease doesn't pool, run toward the mat's edge and then pour down in a steady stream of flame-feeding ickiness. On the plus side, the flare-ups I had were not under the meat, so the meat was fine. Still, flames above my cooking surface are generally unwelcome. SOLUTION: I don't really have one yet ... but I think I'll try curling the edges up on the mat next time.

* What?! I don't have to waste 10 more minutes' worth of fuel to clean my grill racks now?! EXCELLENT!
44 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2014
WARNING: This product is not suitable for high heat typically found with Charcoal or Wood fire grilling. Product is only rated to 500 degrees, so best for gas grills on medium heat or below.
on July 15, 2013
I have been using this product for about six weeks now, and I'm very impressed. I've never been very good at grilling, but with this mat I can really control the heat and exposure. And not having to deal with food falling through the grate is a great relief. I've been grilling every type of vegetable I can find, along with various meats. This evening I sliced three large chicken breasts into about four long chunky strips each, then marinated the strips in Lawry's Caribbean Jerk marinade for about an hour. I sliced several large green zucchini lengthwise into several strips each, then cut the ends off and cored about 15 small sweet peppers, finally slicing them into quarters lengthwise. I mixed a bit of olive oil with balsamic vinegar and garlic salt in a cup, then heated up the grill to about 350. I placed the mat on the center of the grill, and it heated up right away. I placed the zucchini and peppers on the mat, then sprinkled them with the mix from the cup. I then placed the marinated chicken strips on the mat alongside the vegetables. I turned the vegetables once and sprinkled again, then pulled them off after about 10-12 minutes. They were nicely cooked, soft and very moist with a great smoky taste. The chicken strips I turned three times, cooking about 5-7 minutes a side at 350-400. I pulled the chicken strips off when they showed themselves to be cooked clear through, and they were amazingly tender and moist, still sitting in their juices on the mat. The mat marked the vegetables and chicken with the grill marks through the mat, so the appearance was attractive - the chicken was browned nicely. As the grill was cooling I filled the bottom of the sink with a bit of hot soapy dishwater - enough to cover the mat. I pulled the still warm mat off the grill, and placed in the dishwater and kept it there during dinner. After the meal I simply ran a scrub brush over the mat and rinsed, and it was as clean as new. When it dried I rolled it up and placed it back on the pan rack where it now lives. I like this product a lot, and I highly recommend it - especially for those of us who are not very confident working on the grate.
on July 2, 2014
I must say, when I opened the pack, I thought the mats looked very flimsy but I followed the directions exactly and cooked some lovely bone in chicken breasts which browned beautifully and were very moist. I usually cook my chicken on the cold side of the grill and the mat worked better for me. Will try vegetables the next time. Found that even with the grills on medium and the thermometer on the grill registering 350 degrees the chicken cooked more speedily than if I had done it in the oven so you do need to watch the food. The mat washed off very well and did not seem to suffer any ill effects from being on a hot grill. .
on February 22, 2015
We purchased the grill mat after watching a demonstration at a Home Show. Was a bit skeptical but was cheap enough to give it a go. We love to grill fish, especially of we can do so without any oil or butter. We cooked hamburger the first day, great browning just as if it had been directly on the grill rack. But the fish was fantastic! It was nicely browned, and so juicy without anything added except some dry rub, such as lemon pepper. We cooked salmon. Sliced potatoes, pre cooked in the microwave and browned on the mat were very crispy, again using NO oil.
The big trick, which I can't stress enough, you need to cook under 500F. Medium works well and cooks quickly. We have not used it for baking in the oven yet, so that's why I only gave it 4 stars. But more than 5 stars when it came to grilling fresh fish. Going to buy some more sets to give as gifts to our family.
on July 20, 2014
After you use it a couple times-- everything sticks to it and nothing cleans off easily! This is a horrible product!
on June 13, 2014
THESE ARE CRAP. THEY WILL BURN UP IF YOU DON'T WIPE GREASE UP WITH TOWEL AND LEAVE GRILL LID OPEN. DON'T GET SUCKERED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on April 10, 2014
I bought this grill mat because the video made it look like a great item. However I was extremely disappointed because It is not nonstick. I used it over charcoal and it burned the food and could not remove the crust burned on the mat. Not able to use again because it will not come clean. Absolutely nothing as advertised.
on July 2, 2015
you can not get this mat clean, don't care what you do, it won't come clean
on August 11, 2015
The add read there were two mats and we only received one. The mat works great we just felt cheated.