Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on February 11, 2012
"The Vow" 2012 is a romantic drama with some comedic moments thrown in. Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum play a young married couple whose lives take a tragic fate when they suffer a car accident.

McAdams's character, Paige, isn't horribly disfigured or anything like that, but she suffers brain trauma which has blocked all memory of Tatum's character Leo.

Leo tries to get regain her memory by trying to have her fall in love with him again.

That's the movie. These romantic dramas get manufactured every year, and I have seen hundreds of them. However, I really liked the movie.

It's true that these types of movies aren't original, but that doesn't bother me too much as long as the product is good. Like I said, I liked it primarily because Rachel and Channing were very good in the leads.

It's true that perhaps the "brain trauma" aspect of the plot could have been worked a bit more, I mean Paige remembers a lot of things that you wouldn't expect someone whose had brain trauma to remember, so this part of the movie could come out as implausible to some people.

However, most people who have enjoyed the film don't care about that. This is a love story first and foremost, so it's more about seeing the characters going through the motions and trying to get those magic feelings for each other again

The performances are excellent. Channing and Rachel have great chemistry. The acting is never forced and the characters are believable.

Once we learn about Paige's past, we kind of understand why it's hard for her to remember Leo or at least not embrace it: Part of her life has been burdened by her overbearing father (played by Sam Neil) who doesn't quite respect her decisions, an ex-boyfriend Jeremy (Scott Speedman) who can't quite let her go, and other personal issues.

Rachel McAdams plays her character well. She is pretty, nice personality, but a little unsure of herself.

Tatum is good as the guy next door whose willing to put up with a lot all in the name of love. In fact, small parts of the movie are actually narrated by Leo as he tries to tell the audience what love really is. It's a nice addition to make the movie stand out a bit more from just being another movie. I liked his discussion of "moments of impact" in the film

All in all it's just a nice romantic movie. Some might find some issues with the science part of the movie or say it's predictable, but it's a movie that you see to make you laugh and feel good at the end.
88 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
Lucky me, my husband loves chick flicks too. We watched this on a projector in our room and popped some popcorn. We had our own theater night. This movie is great. The Notebook is still better but this one comes in 2nd. I highly recommend this movie.
on August 19, 2013
I HAVE TO SAY THAT I HAD NO IDEA WHO CHANNING TATUM WAS UNTIL A GROUP OF US SENIOR CITIZENS WENT TO SEE MAGIC MIKE. WELL I HAVE BEEN AMAZED AT HOW MANY MOVIES HE HAS BEEN IN. I ENJOY HIS ACTING. HE CAME ACROSS AS A VERY CARING HUSBAND. IN THIS MOVIE. I REALLY ENJOYED THIS MOVIE
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 24, 2012
You probably won't ever see Channing Tatum ferociously chewing the scenery, but you must give him props for earnestness. In THE VOW he handles the voiceover narration, and you could feel him trying. But when he launches into his clunky theory on "moments of impact," it's hard for me to buy it as credible insight. Maybe I'm biased. Probably I've pigeonholed Channing Tatum. Perhaps I was expecting him to bust an ill dance move or join a fight club. Me, I liked this film okay. And for the film's starry-eyed target audience, no amount of dis will sway them. Still, somewhere, even the staff writers at Hallmark are rolling their eyes.

In wintry Chicago, Leo (Tatum) and Paige (Rachel McAdams) are a young married couple still very much in love with each other. After all, they wrote their wedding vows on the menus of their favorite restaurant, and that right there probably qualifies what they have as some sort of legendary love affair. But then a runaway truck smashes into their car, and there's Paige catapulting thru the windshield. Leo, who had his seatbelt on, is relatively fine. When Paige awakens from her coma, she discovers that she's suffering from selective amnesia. She can't remember the last five years of her life. She can't imagine being this in demand sculptor and living in the city and married to Leo, this sudden stranger.

I'm sure them womenfolk are swooning all over Channing Tatum (who also bares his behind in one scene, so, uh, yay). Tatum is rendered ridiculously sympathetic by his romantic gestures and by virtue of what he's put thru by the amnesiac Paige. Leo remains the sweet devoted spouse, desperately striving to win his estranged wife all over again. But it's tough, really tough. Once a free-spirited creature, Paige now seems like an entirely different person. One of Leo and Paige's mutual friends voices our concern: "I'm just worried if she doesn't remember you, how's she supposed to remember she's in love with you?" Somewhere, Nicholas Sparks is kicking himself for not thinking up this plot.

Not that Paige is purposely mean or thoughtless. She's experiencing her own bits of turmoil. And, me, what I found really interesting are those moments which focus on Paige and the scary stuff she's going thru. Rachel McAdams is quite good at conveying that sense of desolation and confusion and helplessness one must feel when stricken with deep memory loss.

From Paige's perspective, it's like this: She's never had a falling out with her rich, conservative parents (Sam Neill and Jessica Lange). She's still in law school and engaged to her old sweetheart Jeremy (Scott Speedman). Today, Paige can't comprehend what would compel her to move to the city or give up law study or not be on speaking terms with her parents. What made her break up with Jeremy? I remember getting mad at myself in the theater for getting suckered in by these concerns. But I found myself wanting to know what made Paige turn her back on her old life five years ago.

Watching the love of your life just slip away from you, no matter how hard you try to hold on - what's a more irresistible premise, especially on Valentine's Day? Channing Tatum's got a long road to go before he achieves real actor status. He still tends to be stiff and awkward. Except that, for this film, his awkwardness works in his favor. It makes him even more of an underdog, especially when pitted against the urbane Speedman and those old acting hands Sam Neill and Jesicca Lange. It's a shame, by the way, that Jessica Lange only gets that one scene in which to strut her stuff.

There are romantic beats in THE VOW that, for all their predictability and heavyhandedness, are still worth waiting for. And that's because McAdams and Tatum do create some sparks in their scenes together. Despite her newfound attraction to Jeremy, Paige gradually, cautiously becomes open to Leo's advances. She remarks: "I married him. It must've been for some reason." This then leads to probably my favorite sequence, which is their "first date." Since I'm a manly man, I won't swoon or have vapors. But I liked that sequence.

THE VOW is based on the real-life story of Kim and Krickitt Carpenter. Apparently, Krickitt never did recover from her amnesia, and yet they're happily married with two kids. Not that I'm saying that's what happens in this movie. In fact, surprisingly, THE VOW veers away from giving us a grand romantic gesture in the finale. I like that the resolution unfolds unexpectedly and messily and almost in anticlimactic fashion. But the way the last 20 or so minutes unfold feels more believable. I was glad there wasn't a mad dash thru the airport or a dramatic "Stop the Wedding!" moment at the twelfth hour. The cliché police are overtaxed as it is.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2013
I LIKE BOTH RACHEL MCADAMS AND CHANNING TATUM (DON'T KNOW IF I SPELLED NAME RIGHT), BUT THIS WAS NOT A GOOD MOVIE FOR EITHER OF THEM. THIS HAD THE POTENTIAL TO BE A GREAT MOVIE BECAUSE IT HAS A GOOD STORYLINE, BUT TOO MANY POSSIBLE SCENES BETWEEN THE 2 OF THEM ARE MISSED AND THERE'S ALOT OF UNNECCESSARY FLUFF TAKING THE PLACE OF THAT. ALSO, THE ENDING DOESN'T SEEM LIKE THE ENDING. I KEPT WAITING FOR SOMETHING GREAT TO HAPPEN AND IT DIDN'T! I GUESS IF YOU'RE REALLY INTO ROMANTIC MOVIES THIS MAYBE ALITTLE BETTER FOR YOU, BUT IT JUST DIDN'T CUT IT FOR ME. ONLY ONES (THAT DON'T HAVE COMEDY MIXED IN) WORTH WATCHING MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE TO ME ARE THE NOTEBOOK AND TITANIC AND THIS ONE REALLY REALLY DOESN'T COMPARE. I PROBABLY SOUND LIKE A JERK, BUT I ACTUALLY WISH I COULD GET THE TIME I SPENT WATCHING IT AND $10 I SPENT BUYING IT BACK HAHA. I WISH I WOULD HAVE LISTEN TO OTHER REVIEWS.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2013
Okay, this is a chick flick. Gotta just get that out of the way. McAdams and Tatum have decent chemistry together and make this story believable. This movie IS based on a true story - which makes you really think, if you lost your memory and ** number of years like that time never existed and the last thing you remembered was that you were dating/engaged to someone else, how it would make you and the people you love feel to basically leap back in time?

I think they could have delved even more deeply into the story of this couple, but it is a movie and unfortunately there are time constraints and you can't always get everything you want!!

All in all, good movie with good actors and makes you think... or if you just want entertainment you can watch it for that also even though it is sorta the normal 'romance' type story all in all.
on May 1, 2016
I had seen this movie before but cannot recall much of it yet bits and pieces though I remember it was based on a true story of a couple who went through the same thing but they re older than the couple Leo & Paige Collins in the movie.
To start Paige and Leo (five years into their marriage) come out of a theater in wintery Chicago and Leo makes a comment about the snow being more than an inch yet Paige says its beautiful then they get to their car and well the rest but how that accident happened was a salt truck with no plow on the front plows into their car, Leo with the seat belt on is okay (minor bumps and such.) yet Paige on the other hand is sent flying through the windshield and lands on the hood of the car. After Paige wakes up in the hospital; she has no memory whatsoever of the last five years she had; as in leaving law school, breaking up with her ex-fiance Jeremy, also finding out about her father's affair with a friend of hers as well. None of that is in her memory even about being married to Leo and attending the Art institute of Chicago along with living with him in downtown Chicago on the north side no less. Both Leo and Paige try to recollect as much as they can of her memories (pictures and other things.) throughout this movie but its when Leo realizes at Paige's sister Gwen's wedding that he cannot do it anymore; that he just gives up as in throwing in the towel because her memory of being with him and everything is completely gone never gonna come back yet later on in the movie Paige makes some startling discoveries about her father's affair with Paige's friend, how her mother didn't want to leave him along with that Paige confesses to her dad (played by the greatest actor: Sam Neil.) about wanting to leave law school and attend the Art Institute of Chicago and get an apartment in downtown Chicago as well. She also again breaks up with (now boyfriend not fiance.) Jeremy as well. I gotta say this movie will have you on your seat from the start to the very end and they've also got deleted scenes plus a majorly funny gag reel in which I must admit is hilarious!! This movie is a must see for anyone who is a couple and romantic!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 21, 2012
Chick Flick Alert! We love 'em and aren't afraid to admit it. Happily, this sudsy PG-13 romance is based on a true story and we see a photo of the real people involved during the closing credits.

What does a devoted husband do when the lovely young woman he courted, loved and married, is injured in a devastating accident? When she comes out of her medically induced coma, she has no idea who he is; she only remembers her OLD boyfriend and events from five years and earlier!

Here are the principal players:
* Tatum Channing ("Haywire") is Leo, a self-employed businessman who drops everything in an attempt to help his wife regain her memory. BTW, this actor does some of his best work with his shirt (and everything else) off. ...smile...
* Rachel McAdams ("Sherlock Holmes") is Paige, daughter of a prominent judge. She hasn't been in touch with her family for five years but can't remember why. Nor can she remember why she dropped out of law school, or anything about a marriage to this nice stranger.
* Jessica Lange ("American Horror Story") is Rita Thornton, our heroine's mother, who dashes to her daughter's hospital bedside, eager to bring her back to the bosom of the family.
* Sam Neill ("The Hunter") is Bill Thornton, the judge who pulls strings to get his girl back into law school. He is somehow involved in the underlying reason why she can't recapture those past five years.
* Scott Speedman ("The Moth Diaries") is Jeremy, the old beau. He is delighted to realize that his is the only relationship she remembers and he is yearning to start all over.

So now we watch family dynamics, with the parents happy to leave her past forgotten, our forlorn husband trying to woo back his wife, her confusion when confronted with her recent art work, and her reaction when she goes back to law school.

Only one person will sacrifice his own happiness to see HER happy. Who, you might ask? C'mon...it's a Chick Flick! I'll be happy when Amazon.com notifies me of the DVD release date.
on July 31, 2012
I rent them for my Kindle Fire to watch on my flights. I am always a little nervous about the possibility of a sex scene that the person seated next to me may see. To my relief they were only alluded to, so nobody near me was made uncomfortable by what they may have seen. It was a cute video, with a good ending.
on April 20, 2013
I once again fell in love with Rachel McAdams. Unlike my falling in love with Rachele McAdams, which is just a fleeting feeling, as "falling in love" always is, this movie is a story about true love. What impressed me most was the closing scene when Paige thanks Leo and he says he didn't do anything, she responds, "You did everything. You accepted me for who I am, and not for what you wanted me to be." Then he says, "I just wanted you to be happy." That is true love, a love you can't fall into. A love that can not be earned, but is freely given. A love that is inspiring, and worthy of aspiring to. A love that is hard to give, but impossible withhold because it is true.