5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE This Book! Hauntingly Beautiful
Published on October 7, 2011 by Aeicha @ Word Spelunking

3.0 out of 5 stars Psychological Thriller with a Paranormal Twist
Hmmmm. This is one of those really hard reviews to write because there is so much you can't say! Plus the plot of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is shrouded in mystery and suspense and I want to keep it that way. So here's what I will say...

Published on September 28, 2011 by Fire and Ice

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE This Book! Hauntingly Beautiful, October 7, 2011
This review is from: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy) (Hardcover)
The synopsis for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is enticingly vague, so I didn't really know what to expect when beginning this book, I just knew that I had to know what it was all about...flash forward to me starting the first chapter before bed telling myself Just this one chapter, then I'll go to sleep...flash forward again a few hours after this to me looking at my clock as it blinks an ungodly wee hour in the morning time telling myself Well I've gotten this far, I might as well read a little more...OMG I can't put it down now...Must. Know. Ending.

This is definitely One Of Those kind of books. The kind that grips you tight from page one and still has a hold of you long after you've read the last sentence on the last page. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a stunning and impressive debut novel from Michelle Hodkin. I found it absolutely captivating, riveting, smart, highly original, and brilliantly written and developed. To say that this book is simply a Paranormal-Romance or a Psychological Thriller or Mystery or Contemporary Fiction, doesn't really seem to do it justice to me, simply because it's kind of all of these things. It's a word potpourri made of all things awesome, beautiful, chilling, startling, and deeply intimate.

The three main aspects of this book that stood out to me are its characters, the overall story (both the story on the surface and the one pulsing underneath it), and the romance between Mara and Noah.

The characters in this book seem perfectly developed and balanced. And by balanced I mean that they're never too much or too little; they're close enough to the realm of stereotypical to feel comfortable and familiar, but far away enough to be refreshing and hard to ignore. What I loved about Hodkin's characters is that they're predictable when you need them to be, yet always surprising. The book is told from Mara's perspective, and there's a truly intimate connection developed between Mara and the reader, at least this reader. Mara has a sharp and sometimes biting wit, she's observant, smart, thoughtful, and not afraid to speak her mind. She's also conflicted, confused, lost, and scared. In other words, she's real and she's relatable. Noah Shaw, Mara's love interest is, on the surface, arrogant, confident, careless, charming and too smart for his own good. He's also everything and nothing that you expect him to be at any given moment. His flaws, insecurities and depth are slowly revealed throughout the novel, and both Mara and the reader get to know him at the same time...and this reader also fell for him right along side Mara. The "supporting" characters- the Dyer family, school peers, teachers, ect- are all well developed and add a layer of realism and familiarity that I think both readers and Mara need.

The romance between Mara and Noah is anything but cliché. This romance is intense, sexy, real, and a little twisted. I appreciate how Mara and Noah's relationship progresses naturally; I was actually able to witness and feel them fall in love and wasn't just told that they were in love. The chemistry and sparks between these two are palpable and really jump off the page. I think the emotional and physical aspects of this romance were written in a very smart and sensitive way.

The story itself blew me away with its originality, emotional layers and explosive ending. The story moves at a nice, natural pace and has a real lyrical flow. I liked that the story was told from Mara's perspective and that I was, essentially, in her head, seeing things unfold through her eyes, because it is Mara's story, it's the story of her unbecoming. There's a haunting beauty to the paranormal and romantic aspects of Mara Dyer, while there also exist a startling, yet irresistible pull that I felt from the emotional aspects of this book. The actual paranormal aspects are different from anything I've ever read, and there's a real dark, dangerous edge to them that make them exciting and intriguing. But it's the emotional and psychological aspects of this book, the unbecoming or really the unraveling of Mara Dyer, that kept me captivated. Hodkin's depicts the unraveling, the coming apart of Mara in such a realistic, honest and stripped bare kind of way that it was, at times, almost relentless with its stark emotional onslaught, but in the most breathtaking and impossible to ignore kind of way.

I think there's a certain universal, but rarely confessed, perversion that people have for peeking behind other people's proverbial curtains and getting a glimpse of the "real" picture behind the surface perfection, and I think as readers we kind of get to do this in this book. We get a glimpse inside families-like the Dyers and the Shaws-that seem very together, happy, and even perfect to the rest of the world, but behind closed doors they are anything but perfect with their secrets, lies, and fractures. Behind closed doors we get to see them for what they are- fathers who work too much, mothers who are controlling or too self involved, kids who are cracking under pressure-and I really think this is kind of the story beneath the story, kind of an underlying layer.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but I will say that Mara's story is one that will leave you reeling and will have people talking. You'll want and need to talk about Mara's unbecoming, her unraveling, her romance with Noah, and her choices because they are all thought provoking and unforgettable.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: I was captivated from beginning to end, and the ending left me breathless, wide eyed, and longing for more. I love this book and HIGHLY recommend it to all of you...seriously, you MUST read this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Psychological Thriller with a Paranormal Twist, September 28, 2011

What I liked: The cover is a five. Wow. Beautiful. I could frame it! The author is awesome. I met her at BEA and she responds well to her fans.

This book sucked me in because I love psychological thrillers. Mara is dealing with some heavy duty issues such as PTSD and hallucinations which I really like to see addressed so openly in YA literature. I have a love-hate relationship with both the main characters. Mara has quite the trashy mouth which for me is hard to read. I like that she tells it like she sees it, just maybe not so colorfully. Main bad boy Noah was the love 'em leave 'em type before Mara came along. Even though I seriously wonder why both of them acted the way they did at times I was still rooting for them. By far the best character of the book was Mara's brother Daniel. It is so refreshing to see a good strong sibling relationship!

What didn't I like? There were some holes in plot and at times I was scratching my head wondering what in the world was going on. Santaria? The missing shop and priest?
Where did Mara's best friend Jaime go- I mean I know he was grounded...but? Didn't enjoy the paranormal elements. Also a little too much foreshadowing for my taste.

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone. So...I predict this book will be huge. While it was captivating, I still personally have very mixed feelings about it. In short, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is steeping in eery atmospheric undertones. It's definitely one you'll read all in one sitting.

Content- heavy swearing and violence, sexual tension and violence, petting, underage smoking. Not recommended for younger teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, October 3, 2011
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is everything I want in a read-- it's sexy, suspenseful, heartfelt, sarcastic, intriguing and I've barely scratched the surface. The suspense surrounding what happened to Mara combined with killer dialog, endearing characters and pulse-inducing male lead makes for one hell of a read. Be prepared to be blown away because Mara Dyer packs a powerful punch.

I'd be friends with Mara in a heartbeat. Her voice flows naturally off the page and her witty little comments ("so we're going to do this the hard way, awesome") in her head and sometimes out loud kept me laughing long into the night. Though her relationship with her mother was strained, Mara had a well rounded family life. She got along with her brothers and knew her mother was trying to do what was best for her even if it was annoying. The question of her sanity was an interesting point in the novel and it was hard to tell what was real and what wasn't being in her point of view. There aren't too many unreliable narrators in YA fiction (or any novels that I can think of) and Mara was absolutely believable.

Mara isn't the only character I fell in love with. Both of her brothers are equal parts caring and rotten boy which I loved. Her older brother, Daniel, really is the type of big brother any girl would want and theirrelationship felt so realistic. Mara's friend Jamie was snort out loud funny. Everything out of his mouth made me giggle and I loved that Mara could match him word for word in the shock department.

All of these characters were wonderful but Noah, the male love interest stole the show. From his rebel without a care demeanor to his British accent, he was born to break hearts. And break hearts he did! Half the things out of his mouth were so wildly inappropriate I was gasping and the other half were so steamy I was also gasping... for an entirely different reason, of course. He was definitely a riddle and I could totally see why he and Mara worked so well together. Noah worked on shock factor and Mara was able to shock him back. The other thing about that I loved about Noah is I felt like I knew him before Mara started to really like him. I could see him chewing his straw and lounging wickedly on his bed surrounded by his books. What he and Mara had was based on trust and personality as much as it was to physical attraction and their relationship was electric.

I liked the mystery of what happened to Mara and her friends in the closed insane asylum and that she remembered it in pieces. It worked well chopped up and put into her new life at certain times. The revolutions are shocking and the ending happens almost too quickly to comprehend. I don't think I've ever read a book as quickly as I read the last 100 pages of this one. I was literally dying to find out what was going to happen and get some questions answered. I wish more was revealed about what Noah and Mara find out but I understand that they don't have the answers and they need time enough to find someone who does. Even though this book was a whopper, I found myself wishing it was even longer. I could have spent a lifetime in Mara's world (and more specifically in Noah's head). The vivid and beautiful writing had as much to do with this as the story did. There are such beautiful images in the story. I'll never forget Mara describing a dead man with his "bright red watermelon insides spilling out of his skull".

The addictive quality of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is hard to resist and the ending of the novel really does beg for the reader to turn around and re-read the entire thing. I could go on and on about the merits of this novel. I fall in love with everything about it. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is an absolute must-read (and then re-read again). You'd be crazy not to!

1.0 out of 5 stars Only fans of "Hush, Hush" and such should take this on, October 1, 2011
If you are a fan of "Hush, Hush," "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" is your next natural reading choice.

I'll attempt to refrain from excessive ranting here, but, goodness, this novel is just as bad (or as good, depending on how you look at it) as "Hush, Hush"!

First, there is this wonky, messy and too often nonsensical paranormal story line that is, naturally, all but abandoned to concentrate on romance later in the book. Mara wakes up from a coma to find out that her 3 friends have died in an accident which she miraculously survived. She doesn't remember the circumstances of it, but something strange starts happening to her. She seems to be seeing ghosts everywhere, people around her are dying, she keeps loosing chunks of time. Things are so bad with Mara, that her parents consider sending her to an asylum for psychiatric treatment. But eventually they all settle on helping her deal with the trauma by moving to Florida. Here during her first disastrous day in a new private school Mara meets, you guessed it, a scorching hot bad boy named Noah Shaw.

Of course, he's been around the block and allegedly dated every girl in the school. Of course, he is loaded. Of course, Mara is the first girl he ever cared about, cared enough to announce her his girlfriend and, oh my, drive her to school! Where have I seen this before?

What follows is exactly what you'd expect, a "romance" that is pretty much an exercise in sexual innuendo, douchebaggery and you-are-mine/i-belong-to-you mumbo-jumbo. I got sick of the constant alluding to "nailing" or "knowing what I put in my mouth before swallowing" very quickly. To be fair, unlike Nora, Mara does not just quietly take suggestive and offensive remarks thrown at her, she can return them as well - the "swallowing" line is hers. Plus, Noah doesn't try to kill her.

I suppose some female readers will find this sort of dating attractive, amusing, hot even, but for the life of me I can't work up any love for the male lead who is described by Mara's new best friend as a guy who uses and discards his girlfriends "like condoms" (allegedly).

What else is there to expect? In a Becca Fitzpatrick-like fashion, Michelle Hodkin fills her book with nonsensical things like a teacher (in a posh private school!) throwing stuff and insults at her students, or fortuitous situations where our lovebirds find themselves in various beds with no adults around (of course, there are super-duper paranormal reasons why the two can't go all the way), or one-dimensional characters - Mara's blonde mean girl arch-nemesis who turned a complete slut after dating our hero and an obligatory best new black Jewish bi friend (much better and more inventive than that obligatory best gay friend, right?)

Pardon me while I go roll my eyes at this mess some more.

P.S. I dare you to explain what exactly happened in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who is Mara Dyer?, September 27, 2011
Who is Mara Dyer?

Even she doesn't know. When Mara, at least that's the name she's given herself, wakes up in a hospital bed with no memory how she got there, or even who she is. Suddenly dropped into a life that just doesn't feel right, she learns that there are unexpected consequences to the accident, consequences that could destroy her. Not only must she deal with her new life, and a new love, but as the pieces of the past start to surface, Mara finds that they are more disturbing than she could ever imagine, especially when she finds herself seeing the past and the future. She can't explain it, and neither can her therapist.

I've been expecting a lot from Mara Dyer. It's probably one of the most hyped YA novels in the blogosphere this year, including some serious BEA coverage that only made me (and other readers) desperate to find out who exactly this Mara Dyer is. I was beyond thrilled when this gem showed up in my mailbox, and it completely lives up to the hype and, in my mind, exceeded it.

Author Michelle Hodkin offers a fascinating new character trying to find her way while balancing her past. Not only is Mara's amnesia well-handled, but when Mara starts to visit therapists and mental institutions, her descent into madness, mayhem and chaos feels real, honest and frightening. Hodkin perfectly handles the shifts between past, present and future, and by the end of the novel, I had become so familiar with Mara Dyer that she felt like a long-time friend. I was on Mara's side, no matter what, and I wanted her to, somehow, survive her own unbecoming.

An incredibly lyrical and fabulously-written book that explores the fascinating darkness of humanity and the frightening descent into madness. From an incredible opening to an explosive ending, I was riveting to Mara's story on every page. But, beware: this story ends on something of a mild cliff-hanger, and while I'm not sure if there will be sequels, the ending screams for one.

Probably one of my top books of 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read, October 6, 2011
I absolutely loved this book. Mara doesn't remember how she got into the hospital and miraculously survived something that her friends did not. She is confused about her feelings and doesn't know how to handle herself. So she isolates herself from her family when they move to a new place to start over.

Mara's mother hovers over her making her uncomfortable and reassures her mother that she is fine. With the help of her brother, Daniel, she finds a new friend to find comfort and trust in...Noah. Mara and Noah do not start off on the wrong foot, but Noah is determined to make Mara like him.

As her memories from her fateful night start to return, she is becoming something different than what she ever imagined she would be. Damaged, dangerous or both. Noah is willing to find out at any cost. The brutal truth about what really happened fractures the changes in Mara and she starts to feel that she needs to pull back from all social interaction before someone gets hurt.

Finding out who Mara is becoming and why is a really wonderful adventure and kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire book. Noah is also hiding a secret and together they could be destined for one another.

Recommended for YA Paranormal lovers all across the globe. Pick this up if you haven't yet. I think you will enjoy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted plot & stereotypical romance disappoint, 1.5 stars, September 30, 2011
In Michelle Hodkin's debut novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Mara wakes up from a horrible accident with no memory of what happened. All she knows is what her family tells her: that her best friend, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend's sister were crushed to death in a collapsing building, but she somehow survived. Her family soon moves to Florida when the situation gets too much to bear, but little snippets of Mara's memories start coming back to her, painting a disturbing image of what may have happened. When the beautiful but enigmatic Noah enters the picture, things get even more complicated.

Despite the book's promise to be a paranormal thriller steeped in mystery and romance, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer fell flat for me in many ways. Most notably, the novel got wrapped up in too many convoluted plot threads that didn't coalesce into a coherent story. The paranormal aspect went mostly ignored after the introductory chapters, and when it reappeared 300 pages later, it was poorly executed. Much of the information revealed toward the end of the story was either completely out of left field and nonsensical or, alternatively, very predictable. Some of the reveals even contradicted earlier information.

The story also got bogged down in the romance, which dominated in lieu of the paranormal or mystery plotlines. The love interest, Noah, came across as little more than the stereotypical hot jerk: he's full of sex appeal, arrogance, and a smarmy personality, and he only speaks in terms of sexual innuendo. Even when Mara inevitably found his softer side, it wasn't convincing or swoon-worthy (and he still did incomprehensible things like beat people to a pulp regularly on her behalf). The story just relied too heavily on one cliché after another, like the bad but beautiful boy and made-up reasons they can't be intimate. Characters were inconsistent in non-believable ways, and secondary characters felt one-dimensional (e.g., the minority as the token friend, the jealous mean girl). The dialogue and sentence construction also sometimes felt awkward in its attempts to come across as "teen speak." Finally, while the ending could have been risky, the author took an easy way out and introduced a cliffhanger on which to pin the next book.

Despite all of these negatives, Mara's character did show moments of spark, self-confidence, and foul-mouthed realism, and some of the opening scenes and flashbacks had genuine creep factor. There were even some good attempts at including more diversity than normally seen, such as Mara being half-Indian or the couple going into the barrios of Miami. Even such, I couldn't enjoy a book that left so much to be desired in regard to the story and the romance. In the forthcoming sequel, I hope that Hodkin gives readers more in the way of a coherent plot and believable, likable characters.

Note: This review refers to an advance reader's copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely in my top ten for the best of 2011!, October 10, 2011
Guys. I am practically incoherent after finishing this book. Yes, it is THAT GOOD. "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" has everything I love about a book in it - a balance of all plot elements without the sub-arcs smothering each other while holding up the main plot. Stuff that keeps me guessing, stuff that horrifies and intrigues me, a little bit of romance that doesn't totally overwhelm everything else, and a heroine that kicks butt and takes names -- even if she doesn't realize she's doing it. And that ending. Cliffhangers that leave open space for another story, yet leaves enough for the reader to make up one's own open ending; Hodkin does it all with style and grace and I didn't want leave Mara Dyer's frighteningly wonderful world once the book ended.

There is the initial mystery of what happened to Mara in the first place, and Hodkin does a great job of reminding us about this throughout the book, no matter where we are in the sub-arcs, whether we're in Mara's new school, experiencing hallucinations or at home, with her in her nightmares/memories/dreams. There's always the dagger of what happened hanging over her. She can't forget that, and neither can we. And the way Hodkin does this isn't overly suffocating - it's a mention of a look, a quick flashback to what happened at the asylum, someone who looks like her now dead friends and that's all it takes to remind us how high the stakes are for Mara - literally, her "unbecoming", as the title suggests, and the unraveling of not just her sanity, but of her very being (moral and otherwise).

And the stakes only get higher as the book goes on. The mysteries start piling up, from her very first day at school (the dog's owner - was that a hallucination or a real vision of him dead?) forward. There's never a moment where the tension (be it of the main plot or the sub-arcs that help hold it up) leaves the page. There's never a moment where the characters are completely still, and therefore, we're never still. So many books, regardless of genre, try to get this right, and very few actually are able to do it. The answer is provided in Hodkin's way of writing - you just don't let the tension leave, ever. Even if it shrinks, it's still there, and it's still a reminder of a lingering threat, be it past, present, or future. That's the key to writing an amazing book, right there. And Hodkin did it.

And then there's the ending. There's so much out there, especially in YA as of late, that's at least two books long. I love me series, trilogies, and duologies, but to a certain point. Then again, there are many stories that can't be contained to just one book. I think "Mara Dyer" may be one of them. But Hodkin doesn't really push this on us - she leaves it to the reader to decide what the ending really means for Mara, her world, and her future. I would love to see another book in this world, but at the same time, I can do just as well without. That too is hard to accomplish, but once more, Hodkin has done it.

So I'm quite happy with how this book turned out. I literally could not put it down. It's a delicious gem of a book that should be a model for other books out there. Definitely in my top ten for the year. The hype definitely is deserved. Wonderful, awesome, and...I can't find any more words. Just read it once it comes out, and thank me later.

(posted to goodreads, librarything, shelfari, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I have this book's babies? I love it that much., October 9, 2011
shortandsweet (California, USA) - See all my reviews
From my blog, Never Gonna Grow Up! Reviews:
It's not often that I sit down to type down my initial review notes and find myself overwhelmed by the adjective choices. This book is ah-mazing. There, I said it. Let me first copy and paste my notes so I can share the adjective fun! (Who doesn't like a good adjective?)
Creepy
Scary
Mysterious
Adventurous
Endearing

Yeah, it's all that and so much more. "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" is definitely in my top 10, maybe even my top couple books for this year. It started off a little rough, but once I really connected with Mara, there was no going back. I was hooked until the very end. I read this 450 page novel in less than 24 hours and man, I am DYING for book two.

Mara wakes up from a coma and finds out that her best friend, her boyfriend and her boyfriend's sister are all dead after a terrible accident. Something isn't quite right though. Somehow, she is completely free of major injury and now she's being haunted by PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) hallucinations. Or are they? On top of it all, her family moves to help her deal with her loss and now her dad is defending a creepy murderer. Plus the infamously sex-crazed hot guy at school won't take a hint and leave her alone.

I know it sounds like it could end up being the same ol' cliche - girl falls in love with bad boy, he turns good, she deals with her demons. It isn't though. Ms. Hodkin finds a way to take something that totally could have ended up being "the usual" and turns it into some magical. There is a mysterious paranormal element running through the whole book. She asks a lot of questions and really keeps you guessing the answers throughout the whole books. Is Mara really crazy? What is the deal with Mr. Hottie? Are the rumors about him to be believed? How in the world did she escape that accident unscathed? And what the heck is with all these weird things happening? Seriously, as I said, SO many questions. The book is creepy, but not in the way that will keep you up at night. It just keeps you guessing and in today's world of accessible information, that's a little creepy. :) Ms. Hodkin bakes up a book that is one part mystery, one part romance, one part paranormal and one part horror to create something extraordinarily delicious. You do not want to miss this one, folks. It may take you a little bit to get into, but once that connection with Mara snaps into place, you won't want to let go.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is scheduled to be released tomorrow, September 27th, from Simon & Schuster. I received an ARC from the publisher to review.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, October 9, 2011
I've seen this beautiful cover all over many book blogs, read many wonderful reviews of the book, and all around have coveted it, waiting until I could finally own it and read it for myself. That day has arrived, and I'm ecstatic to say that all the hype surrounding this book was right on target. This book is amazing!

Hodkin is a truly talented writer. She makes this novel fly by with her tight storyline and believable prose. At 452 pages, it's is what I'd consider a long novel, but at no point in reading did I want to set it aside or take a break. This book is impossible to put down, in my opinion, and I was able to read it extremely quickly. Of course, Hodkin's characters made me feel like I was in the story, and I'm envious of Mara... I want Noah for myself!!

It's true... I am in love. With Noah. He is a great character, and I absolutely adore him. The mystery surrounding him is extremely intriguing, and I loved finding out the truth about him alongside Mara. Mara is also a really interesting character shrouded in mystery. The fact that she doesn't know the truth about the accident that killed her friends is really intriguing, and I love how Hodkin slowly divulges the truth. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting the elements of magical realism, but they fit nicely into the story and have me dying for the next installment in the novel already! Next year can't come fast enough! I need more Noah, for sure, and, as the novel's ending did leave room for interpretation, I'm a little bit worried about where it might go in the next book. Like I said, I need it now... the wait it killing me!

Hodkin's debut novel is riveting, and she's quickly become one of my top ten authors of all time! Five stars.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (The Mara Dyer Trilogy) by Michelle Hodkin (Hardcover - September 27, 2011)
$18.99 $15.29