4.0 out of 5 stars The Unborn - 4 **** Rating
Published on July 12, 2009 by Stephen M. Greene

3.0 out of 5 stars I must admit, I'm still confused
This was an okay horror flick. I love a good scary movie and I did leap from my seat in a couple of scenes, but I also like a really good scary story, and this one just kept confusing me!

***WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD, ONLY READ IF YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE***
Published on July 9, 2009 by Ellysian

4.0 out of 5 stars The Unborn - 4 **** Rating, July 12, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
My review is on the Unrated version. The Unborn kept me on the edge of my seat thru out and the movie runs at a brisk pace. There was very little gore in this movie but I think you find it wasn't necessary. It maintains a level of creepiness from the very first minute. Odette Yustman plays the young woman who is the target of a demonic spirit and Gary Oldman is the Rabbi who leads the failed Exorcism (does anyone think Gary looks remarkably like a young Peter O'Toole in this film?). I definitely don't think the film deserves all the negative critcism it received. Negative reviews tend to lower one's expectations - for me it was a pleasant surprise. I think you will find the 90 minutes viewing scary time well spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars I must admit, I'm still confused, July 9, 2009

***WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD, ONLY READ IF YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE***
First, our main character is haunted by demonic visions... then she babysits a demonic child! Then we learn she had a twin that died in utero. So...ok... her twin brother is haunting her. NO! We find out it's a demon spirit haunting her and since her brother died in the womb, it's now after her. OK, so what's with the demonic child our heroine was babysitting? We find out that the spirit is trying to possess her because a twin is the easiest way for it to enter our world... but no! It's already possessed the neighbor boy. And continues to possess almost every other character in the movie except for the one that is suppose to be the "easiest". I didn't understand this plot hole or why Nazi experimentation caused demonic possession or why this girl's mother killed herself instead of staying to save her daughter from the evil she knew about. There were too many strings left dangling in this movie for me to really get into it although the visual effects were definitely scary -- it's story telling that really gives me the goosebumps, not crazy cgi effects and latex creatures!

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing..., July 13, 2009
Angela S. Ando "Ladybug" (Marietta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
This had the potential of being a good horror film, but as is the story with so many movies... the good bits are shown in the trailer! I really was disappointed not to have watched it in the theater b/c my brother was too scared to go! I waited with much anticipation for the dvd, only to settle down and be thoroughly disappointed. It isn't scary at all. Sure, some of the effects are good, but the story is lacking and leaves you wondering why you bagan watching it in the first place. Anyone want to buy my dvd copy? I'll give you a great price!

1.0 out of 5 stars Can We Say "Formula", July 16, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
There is nothing original about this Exorcist wannabe - same old story of young female being harassed by ghostly demon kid (well, kid with black hair and white makeup) who wants to possess cockroaches or humans - whichever is creepiest for the moment.
Same old story of people in abandoned church in a circle reading some religious text in non-English to scare the demon out of the female and into something that isn't quite clearly explained.
Demon as usual is a bit feisty and doesn't stay still so expresses his displeasure by tossing people and things.
Most everybody lives, things are fine except as usual female star is pregnant and guess what's coming out. Well, we don't know but Unborn II will tell us.
Conclusion: Acting was OK, script was tedious; story was redundant; effects were copycat impoverished.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lotta womb for improvement, August 12, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
Better strap on some protection, UNBORN is impregnated with cheap scares, a convoluted plot, and pathetically squalid dream sequences. If you are feeling a kick from inside telling you to PUSH! this into your dvd player, I must advise you--ABORT!!!!! Grab a hangar and kill that idea quickly. It's films like these that have turned the U.S. into the red-headed stepchild of the horror industry. Nothing shocking, creepy, or interesting about this story, other than the basic premise.

Young Casey (Odette Yustman) was born with something missing--her twin sister. Damn shame too, Casey's hotter than global warming. Anyway, she's begins having some warped dreams and gets harassed by an evil spirit from another dimension. Oh joy.

Basically this feels like the spoiled little demonchild of THE EXORCIST and JU-ON. Demonically dumb, send this hellacious turd back down the sewage from which it came.

1.0 out of 5 stars Urhhh...., May 24, 2010
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
Its ironic that this movie came out the week that the nominations for the Razzie Awards were released. I have a hunch that this film may garner a few nominations for that "prestigious" award next year.

This film is awful. It has no clue where it wants to go and takes quite a lot of time getting there. The story is about young Casey Beldon (Odette Yustman). She is a girl in school, working as a babysitter for some extra money. This is when she encounters a four year-old kid that she is sitting who appears to be evil. Soon, she is seeing the evil of that kid in her daily life. To rid herself of this, she begins examining her family history. This includes a mother (Carla Gugino) who was depressed and killed herself, a mysterious old woman in her mothers photos (Jane Alexander) who has had issues in the past, and her friends. Upon recommendation, she decides to have an exorcism performed by the rabbi (Gary Oldman). If you are getting ahead of me in the plot, you've basically got it right in your mind.

The writing is mediocre, and that is perhaps kind. The beginning of the story is simply about showing as much of Ms. Yustman's body that can be allowed in a PG-13 movie. If that couldn't be done in one scene, they come back to it four or five times. The story follows cliché after cliché and takes forever to really begin. The frights are minimal and within 20 minutes I was laughing at what I think was supposed to be scary. This movie is unintentionally funny once you pick up where it is going and what it is trying to do.

The one minor redeeming factor of this movie was some of the camera work. There were a few angles that were used that felt greatly different than the others, felt fresh and felt well placed. Those few shots cannot, however, overcome some of the worst over-acting I've ever seen, a poor script, and a lack of direction for a vast majority of the film. If you are an absolute horror film junkie, go ahead and have a laugh. If you are a fan of bad movies, enjoy. If you are looking for an enjoyable fright, look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars "How Big Is The Universe?" ~ Blurring The Line Between Science And The Occult, November 1, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
The horror film 'The Unborn' falls into the regrettable category; 'so much potential, so little realization'.

Just look at the positives:
1- Odette Yustman (does anyone else out there think she could be Megan Fox's twin sister?) was a great choice for the female in distress role.
2- Gary Oldman is one of the best in the business.
3- The decision to try something different from the overused Catholic priest/demon scenario and go with a seldom if ever explored Judaic mysticism/dybbuk storyline was genius.
4- The special effects were adequate and the film was overall successful in creating an otherworldly atmosphere that was both intriguing and believable.

So what went wrong? The first indication that the film was losing steam and direction was its inability to supply the audience with sufficient back story information on Jewish lore and the concept of the dybbuk. This blatantly missed opportunity to explore such a rich and obscure tradition was unforgivable. To be honest this omission may not be as bothersome to the majority of viewers, it just happens to be a subject matter of great interest to me.

Be that as it may, to a larger degree the storyline ultimately met its Waterloo during the exorcism sequence. I don't know what the makers of this film had in mind, but whatever it was the film lost all coherence at this juncture. Instead of staging a classic confrontation between the powers of good and evil they opted for a massive carnage scene which literally destroyed the continuity of the film and left the storyline and characters no where to go.

The storyline of 'The Unborn" is something I'd like to see revisited and thoroughly explored again sometime soon. Hopefully next time by someone who knows what they're talking about.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Unborn is actually the Kinda Boring., July 28, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
The Unborn (David S. Goyer, 2009)

David S. Goyer directed one of those indie flicks that everyone kind of likes, ZigZag, but that don't leave them with much hope for his future as a director, if that makes sense. Hollywood co-opted him pretty quick, and his big-time output bore that out (Blade: Trinity, anyone?). So it was back to the indie scene, and once again, he's directed one of those indie flicks. But not as many people like this one. I actually like it better than ZigZag, but while it's generic and derivative, compared to most of the horror flicks I've seen recently, it's not that bad at all.

Casey (Cloverfield's Odette Yustman) is your typical American girl, save one thing: she seems to be haunted by one of those black-eyed kids so common to Asian horror movies. After a quick bit of detective work, she finds out that she was a twin, but that her brother was stillborn. She jumps to the obvious conclusion, and starts trying to figure out how to get rid of the ghost with the help of some of her friends (including rising stars Meagan Good and Cam Gigandet), a Holocaust survivor (Jane Alexander), and a helpful, if skeptical, rabbi (Gary Oldman).

I've said it before, very recently, and I'll say it again here: American attempts to make Asian horror movies fail because American screenwriters, or American directors, or American studios, or someone, fails to understand that Asian horror flicks (the best of them anyway) are so good because the creepy atmosphere arises naturally from the character development. We're stuck on the effects and the black-eyed kids. Because of this, our attempts tend to be mediocre at best, and this ranks right there with them. It does make me happy that we're trying, at least, because the American horror scene has been lagging well behind the Asian scene for a couple of decades now. When someone finally figures out how to put together an Asian feel, American effects, and a fantastic script to come up with a really successful film, I'll be thrilled. Until then, hopefully we'll keep learning from our mistakes. ** ˝

1.0 out of 5 stars Not you, Gary.... Not you!, July 17, 2009
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
Watching 'The Unborn' is witnessing how unoriginal and formulaic Hollywood can be. There's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in this movie that's not borrowed from some other movie. Even some shots are exactly the same.
And Gee... jump scares? really? so cheap. so cheap. Simply embarrasing.
Two things kept me intrigued till the end of the movie, though: 1- Why did Platinum Dunes (a good company in the horror field) produce this movie and mainly, 2- Why is Gary Oldman in it?!?! Now that's scary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible., May 24, 2010
This review is from: The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) (DVD)
This movie was easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Theacting was horrible. The script was uninspired. This was a movie that kept contradicting itself. The film was sloppy and unoriginal. I was very disappointed and angry when I left the theater. I only give it a 2 because Gary Oldman appeared in this excuse of a film. He is the only excuse to see this film. And thats not even a good enough reason, as he phoned in his performance. Its not like I was expecting a good film. Just something to give me a jump or two. This did not even do that. This film is not only not worth the ten dollars I paid to see it, but its was not worth the hour and a half I spent watching it.

The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version)
The Unborn (Theatrical and Unrated Version) by David S. Goyer (DVD - 2009)
$9.99 $5.64