4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and Entertaining
Published 14 months ago by Adam Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Ghost Story...
Published 14 months ago by Matthew Scott Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful and Entertaining, June 10, 2013
This review is from: The Unbroken (DVD)
Maybe my opinion is biased by my nostalgia, having grown up in the 80's and spent many a muggy summer night renting movies like April Fools Day, Woodchipper Massacre and Witchboard. The Latter of which this film reminded me of, especially the feel, the red headed lead even has a semi revealing shower scene ala Tawny Kitaen-although I think this was more coincidence rather than homage. Warwick Davis is great (duh)-Daniel Baldwin shows the other less adept performers how to convincingly chew through the dialogue. Movies like this have found a stable venue on channels like SyFy and Lifetime not just DVD and streaming, which makes for ample places to hopefully stumble upon it. I watched the movie in the company of my adult son and enjoyed it, but would have no problem having watched it with my gal-pal who is not a fan of horror movies-especially since this one feels more like suspense. Check it out, lots of fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Ghost Story..., June 26, 2013
This review is from: The Unbroken (DVD)
I've mentioned this before in some of my previous book reviews, but I am an absolute sucker for a good ghost story; as such, the same can be said for ghost movies as well. The problem is that they seem to be few and far between. With modern-day films about ghosts, we many times get rehashed genre staples that don't break any new ground. Fortunately, THE UNBROKEN does not adhere to that description. Although not perfect, this film does entertain, if you can make your way through it.

I have to tell you up front that it was sorta difficult for me to get through the first 3/4 of this film. Overall, the movie is pretty well done...but the acting started bugging me pretty quickly into it. This is particularly true for the character of Tommy, portrayed by Patrick Flanagan. Whether it is his acting style or the scriptwriting, the dialogue he presents just seems forced and unrealistic.

But, THE UNBROKEN does keep you intrigued enough along the way to look past that. The mystery that Sarah instantly becomes involved with is interesting and kept me guessing right up to the end. No matter what I thought was happening in the film, I was wrong, and it was a nice twist at the end that made me smile in appreciation.

The film is shot well and the special effects look pretty good, especially considering the lower-ended budget. The acting, as mentioned above, is where the film stalls for me, though. I would not consider it to be enough of a deterrent to keep you from watching the film, but I do have to warn you in advance not to expect Oscar-worthy performances.

Still, if you can find the will-power to muster through THE UNBROKEN, the ending should justify your time (for the most part). I'm going to give a neutral recommendation on this one, however, because some folks may not want to devote an hour and 40 minutes to this. But I enjoyed it and am glad I fought to the end. The film is available now on DVD and VOD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thriller!, June 11, 2013
This review is from: The Unbroken (DVD)
I have to admit, I got this movie just because Warwick Davis was in it...and I didn't really expect much. This is a low-budget film and is a little slow to get going, but I actually found myself really getting into it and enjoying the characters. Daniel Baldwin (how many of them are there???) was surprisingly good as the menacing neighbor. If you are looking for a horror film, you will probably be disappointed, but as a low-budget thriller, this one is actually pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ghost Story, July 12, 2013
If you are into ghost stories, this is your movie. Scary mixed with some humor, but definitely ghost from beginning to end. The acting wasn't top notch, but over all, this was a very satisfying movie, that caught my interest all the way through.

3.0 out of 5 stars WILL YOU HELP ME, July 7, 2013
This review is from: The Unbroken (DVD)
Sara (Aurelia Riley) is recently divorced and has some self esteem and emotional issues as she moves into her new apartment. The apartment is haunted by the boy on the cover (Ryan Quinn Smith). Sara consults a psychic (Warwick Davis) and is aided by her high testosterone neighbor, Tommy (Patrick Flanagan).

Sara paints and has the annoying habit of frequently showering with her back to the camera. The ghost causes havoc but wasn't particularly frightening. The best part of the film is Sara fending off young Tommy. The movie moves along as expected. The ending has a wicked twist which I enjoyed and didn't see coming. At this point I liked the movie more, but failed to capture the genius of the work having been lulled into a state of mediocrity while watching it.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity. Some suggestive talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ghost story with twist ending!, July 20, 2014
I have watched every horror flick I have time for, for well over 50 years now and I am very jaded so when I give a movie a high rating it has to scare me at some point. This did that. It also had good enough character development that I cared about what happened to the characters. The acting may have not always been the best but the writing was spectacular. I think the only people who give this one a low rating are the ones who expect sex and nudity in their horror flicks which this one didn't have. The twist ending was the icing on the cake! It left me with an eery feeling which most horror flicks can no longer do. This is one I will consider owning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy ghost tale with a twist, July 9, 2013
This review is from: The Unbroken (DVD)
A young woman moves into an apartment complex and make a friend, only to find herself haunted by a little boy and his creepy clown toy. There is also an apparently dangerous neighbor. But there is much more to it than what you might be thinking by now. Very much worth seeing. Good dialogue too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horror Junkie's review: 3.5, better than just 'ok' but more of a comedic horror flick than a real one, April 5, 2014
I'm not talking horror comedy, just tongue in cheek horror. It was a way to pass some nonprimetime viewing time, and I didn't resent having rented it. There were many funny, entertaining moments (Tommy was a good character, well played) and it was quite a puzzle that I enjoyed solving. I kinda got it after the climax. "Thanks for playing with me." I like that twist. Won't be clear so as to spoil it for anyone. A light hearted horror flick that is enjoyable if not at all disturbing.

3.0 out of 5 stars scary to sad, December 17, 2013
Starts out scary,then makes your heart melt, then has a surprise at the end. Not a bad movie all in all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dull but a better ending than the rest of the film, August 20, 2014
The problem with this film is that you have to sit through appalling dialogue and direction of the acting for seemingly forever, and nothing much of interest ever happens. There were multiple times when I was just about to give up on watching this film, but I was bored and so basically just let it run its course in the background while I thought about other things on my mind.

So I guess if you can stand a lot of the sort of predictable and robotic "flirtatious banter" that one suffers when at the typical beach bar, then you might be able to get through this film.

The Unbroken
The Unbroken by Jason M. Murphy (DVD - 2013)
$26.98 $19.98