5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful Path for Better Living
We all grew up listening to fairy tales. For the most part, the story plot provided a dilemma, a solution and usually ended with "and they all lived happily ever after." I think we came to believe that after reaching certain points in life, after completing school, getting married, establishing a career, we would enjoy the fairy tale of living happily ever after...
Published 20 months ago by John Chancellor

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially Useful, But Not to Everyone
I rarely see the point in giving something a three-star review. It basically tells readers that the book, CD or movie is "average," so what's the point?
However, this book has a lot of plusses, as well as some "not-so-plusses," so I figured that a review might be of use to people to decide whether they would find the book to be of value or not.
On the "not so...
Published 20 months ago by Book-Movie-Music Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially Useful, But Not to Everyone, November 9, 2012
This review is from: The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self (Paperback)
On the "not so plus" side, the book is basically "Self-Help 101." In other words, if you are new to self-help books, then most of what is in this book will be new to you. However, if you are a "veteran" of such books, you will find very little new information or insights in this book. In fact, the author cites hundreds of journal studies. This isn't necessary a bad thing. The only problem is that, if you've read many self-help books before, you will recognize dozens of these studies. They are the exact same ones that hundreds of authors have cited before in hundreds of other books. (You probably have a lot of these studies memorized.)
On the plus side, there are a few new and interesting insights, most of which are contained in the first couple of chapters. After that, though, in the remaining chapters, it's pretty much "more of the same" that you've read in every other self-help book over the years.
Where the book really shines, though, is in the compassion that literally exudes from every page. It is obvious that this author is genuinely a caring and loving individual, with a great deal of compassion for his patients in specific, and people in general. As a result, by the time you are finished reading the book, you may not have learned anything intellectually, but you do end up with a really warm feeling - a true emotional high.
So, if you're new to self-help books, this book "clicks" on all counts.
If you are a veteran of self-help books, you may not learn much new information (no need to keep a pen and pad of paper handy), but you WILL feel really good by the end of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful Path for Better Living, November 10, 2012

For most of us, it did not take too long to realize that was not the way life is. While our innate drive is to seek to maximize happiness, for the most part we are not given very good directions. For a time we were led to believe that achieving certain materialistic goals would bring the happiness we longed for. But we soon learned that no matter what material goals we achieve, we soon habituate to them - the new wears off and their ability to satisfy us diminishes.

Clearly we need a better approach to life and its ups and downs if we are going to lead a happy, productive life. Dr. Alex Lickerman, the author of The Undefeated Mind has provided us an exceptionally well written book which gives us the tools necessary for a better approach.

The first lesson we need to understand and accept is that we need to "... stop hoping for easy lives and instead to focus on cultivating the inner strength we need to enjoy the difficult lives we all have."

We have grown up thinking that things will bring us happiness. But the more things we acquire and the more attached we become to these things, the more vulnerable we become. Our attachment to things increases the possibility we will experience suffering.

According to Dr. Lickerman, what we need is the wisdom to deal with life the way life is. "Wisdom is so powerful, in fact, that it can even put a halt to suffering without changing the circumstances that cause it." If we learn to "turn poison into medicine" we can find a way to benefit from the suffering.

In the book Dr. Lickerman deals with ten different topics which will help us develop an undefeated mind. "An undefeated mind is not one which never feels discouraged or despairing; it's one that continues on in spite of it. An undefeated mind does not fill itself with false hope, but with hopes to find real solutions, even solutions it many not want or like. An undefeated mind is itself what grants us access to the creativity, strength, and courage necessary to find those real solutions."

The topics covered give us a blueprint for dealing with life's problems. The book is extremely well written and therefore easy to read and understand. There are plenty of examples from Dr. Lickerman's own life as well as his interaction with patients. There are also so lots of summaries or conclusions from psychological studies. All the theories and studies are extensively referenced. If you choose to follow the references, you will greatly expand your knowledge of human behavior.

One of the more insightful discussions concerned dealing with the past. Most people spend a lot of time focusing on past events - reliving them, hoping somehow to change the past. We all know that changing the past is not possible -that we cannot change the facts of what happened. Yet we still live a lot of our lives going over past events. A better way to deal with this is to change the meaning of the event. If we change the meaning we give to the event, we in effect change the past. Dr. Lickerman tells us how he changed his past by changing the meaning of the event. He further tells us how we can do the same.

Dr. Lickerman makes frequent reference to Nichiren Buddhism throughout the book. However he is not in anyway advocating that one needs to understand or adopt the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism. The references are to provide the reader a better perspective for viewing problems and solutions. I found the references insightful.

This book is not one you will be able to read once and gain all the insights available. In my opinion, the best approach is to read through the book and then go back and read it more slowly, digesting and allowing the teachings to sink in. You will gain some real insights from this book.

There are valuable insights on being fully committed to your goals. Taking full responsibility for the accomplishment of your goals - that is not depending on others for too much help, thus diffusing your own effort. There are excellent discussions on letting go, accepting pain, developing gratitude and overcoming fear.

An excellent book but will require time and work to gain all the good it contains.

I was provided a review copy of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Undefeated Mind, November 10, 2012
Many years ago, the renowned humorist and columnist Erma Bombeck wrote a book called, "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?" And while humor can be a great salve for life's challenges, when we are in the midst of adversities such as a physical illness or addiction, or the pain of losing a dear one, or facing financial devastation, it can feel like the "pits"-- far from being a laughing matter.

But when we experience powerlessness and defeat, things are only as bleak as they seem, says author Alex Lickerman, M.D. While the circumstances may be out of our control, the wisdom extracted from adverse experience can impart "an inner life state" of undefeated strength. More than just a good theory, he illuminates nine core principles that assuage suffering, interweaving them into actual dialogues with his patients, and reinforcing their efficacy through examples of scientific studies and tenets of Nichiren Buddhism. An undefeated mind is when the goal for achieving something is to is to keep trying--rather than achieving the goal itself: "Never giving up isn't just necessary for victory, it is victory."

The author turns some cherished notions on their head - such as embracing the pain rather than resisting it, or that resilience is the capacity to endure the pain that adversity causes, or that distraction is superior to willpower for delaying gratification. Seamlessly blending dialogue, narrative, science, and faith, he convincingly demonstrates how one can achieve an inner life state of undefeated inner strength in any circumstance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for people wanting to lose weight, July 3, 2013
Takeaways:
Willpower is limited.
Determine your purpose before u determine ur goals.
Victory is consistently pursuing your goal.
Identify obstacles that r discouraging u.
Regain confidence by throwing yourself in.
Creativity is a reward of productivity.
Willpower is weakend by sleepiness, hunger, thirst, physically uncomfortable, sexual arousal.
Success means comittment and failure means insufficient progress.
Pursuit of desires is what increases our resilience.
Stop a habit by being aware you're doing it.
We're all hypocrites.
We don't have control over our lives but we do have influence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, April 3, 2013
I was expecting a book on meditation, mindfulness and so on. Instead I found a well researched , thoughtful treatise on how to leverage science and intellectual rigour combined with self awareness to build a more rewarding life. A very well written and researched book. I downloaded the kindle version and have now ordered hard copies for my family. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, January 2, 2014
This reading crosses the spiritual with science, in encouraging a solid, realistic and resilient thinking process. Many real life problems are dissected from overeating through major anxiety and acute depression, even the inevitable process of death. At times the information seems a bit redundant, however he covers many perspectives and viewpoints. I recommend this reading to anyone suffering from anxiety, depression, or whose interest lie in conquering the human mind. I gave 5 stars because it helped me along the road of accomplishing just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nichiren Buddhist principles for every person, February 12, 2013
A doctor and a member of the lay Buddhist organization, Soka Gakkai International, the author demonstrates how he has used the principles of Buddhism to advise and help his patients (and himself). It's very readable, not a heavy philosophical read at all. For Buddhists, it reaffirms our faith and for non-Buddhists it introduces the values and advantages of Soka Gakkai practice in a non-religious context. I'd recommend it for anyone struggling to overcome life's challenges, therefore for everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, May 25, 2013
I don't believe in God. I'm not subscribed to any religion or spiritual practice. And since I haven't really missed said things, I felt that I needed something to deal with the struggles of daily life.
After being victim of an assault and being more or less unable to deal with all the bad feelings, I decided I would give this book a try.

Well, it was exactly what I needed, what I wanted to hear, what I was striving for, what I could tolerate. The fact that the sources and references were of peer-reviewed articles, yet with a clear explanation of every concept was really great, because as it turns out, I'm also a really skeptical and rational person.

I don't give it 5 stars because of the misconceptions on obesity (read The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health by Paul Campos and you will understand) and because sometimes it's a bit confusing and it felt really long.

But I learned a lot of very, very useful beliefs and concepts that I have started to implement into my life with the best results.

I'm really grateful I found this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift for a frined, May 10, 2013
Hoping this book helps a friend to survive a wrongful incarceration, partly the consequence of bad attorneys and of an incomplete and sloppy police investigation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and helpful, November 22, 2012
Darrin P DeCosta (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Although I wouldn't consider myself an avid reader of the self-help genre, I found this book to be very engaging. What I thought was most helpful was that the examples he shares were from real life situations, ones that many of us have faced ourselves. Dr. Lickerman's skill as a storyteller made this difficult to put down.

The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self
The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self by Alex Lickerman MD (Paperback - November 6, 2012)
$15.95 $10.09