- Sorry, this item is not available in
- Image not available
- To view this video download Flash Player
As the Earth grapples with the effects of global warming, science has increasingly looked to outer space for answers to the glaring threats facing our world. Are there other planets in the Universe with the unique ability to support life--or is there truly no place like home? HISTORY ventures into the uncharted territory of outer space through the visions, studies, and predictions of scientists and explorers, utilizing cutting-edge computer graphics and stunning footage to bring the universe down to Earth.
Now available on Blu-Ray DVD for the first time, HISTORY presents all 13 visually arresting, awe-inspiring episodes from THE UNIVERSE: THE COMPLETE SEASON ONE plus the feature-length documentary Beyond the Big Bang . From the planets to the stars to the edge of the known universe, history and science collide in this epic exploration of space and its limitless potential.
DISC 1: Secrets of the Sun / Mars: The Red Planet / The End of the Earth: Deep Space Threats To Our Planet / Jupiter: The Giant Planet / The Moon
DISC 2: Spaceship Earth / The Inner Planets: Mercury & Venus / Saturn: Lord of the Rings / Alien Galaxies / Life and Death of a Star
DISC 3: The Outer Planets / The Most Dangerous Place in the Universe / Search for ET / Beyond the Big Bang (2hr)
The sky and outer space have fascinated man for centuries and the History Channel's series The Universe is the story of man's study of the cosmos from his earliest attempts to map and understand the heavens through modern day scientific studies, advances, and theories. A mix of historical footage, modern space imaging, and conceptual computer graphics presented in high-definition, the visual component of this production is absolutely breathtaking. Each of the 13 44-minute episodes begins with a general introduction of subjects ranging from the sun to individual planets, alien galaxies, the search for extra-terrestrial life, and scientific theories like the Big Bang. Each topic is then broken down into a series of segments that detail specific ideas, theories, or components integral to the understanding of the main topic as well as historical material, current studies and theories, and projections of potential future events and scientific advances. The 90-minute "Beyond the Big Bang" feature relates "the story of everything"--from the universe's formation following the "Big Bang" to its eventual projected demise from unchecked expansion dubbed the "Big Rip." Leading experts from universities and scientific institutions around the world do a great job of taking very complex subjects like galaxies with spiral density arms and relating them to easily graspable concepts like a city with a downtown core surrounded by suburbs and plagued by freeway traffic jams. Amazing photographs from the Hubble space telescope, infrared views from the Spitzer space telescope, and x-ray images from the Chandra X-ray Observatory augment understanding as do demonstrations of modern science's ability to simulate historical events like the formation of earth and to project future cosmic events. The Universe is a fascinating and understandable study of space that speaks to viewers ranging from the generally curious to the serious student of cosmology. --Tami Horiuchi
I bought this as a gift (I have never seen it) and the recipient was really excited to get it. Now they want the other in the series.Published 8 months ago by DVD watcher
Excellent all the way around. I would buy from them again. Very satisfied overall.Published 10 months ago by William Riddel
Great episodes, very informative, and awesome graphics. For space buffs out there this is a must have.Published 10 months ago by Justin W.
I had just watched the Beyond The Big Bang documentery on the history channel and wanted a copy of it for myself. Read morePublished 14 months ago by clp
Nearly 75% of picture was not taken in high definition. The rest (25%) is narrators.... DVD copy is more than enough for this show.Published 14 months ago by Tarik Kaya
There are six seasons of "The Universe", and all are spectacular in their own right. Season one deals mostly with our Solar System, though it gives more than a passing nod... Read morePublished 17 months ago by Betty L. Wilkins
This showed on TV recently -- back-to-back episodes shown all day long. It was so good, I decided to add it to my library of things I want to keep and watch again and again. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Worn Stone
|Topic||From this Discussion|
No, for season-1. Season 2 to 4 Blu-ray do have SDH
May 27, 2010 by TSANG F. Shing | See all 3 posts
|Awesome, can't wait!||
Well, I am very disappointed it is only in stereo, not Dolby Digital. Not sure if its worth the Blu-ray premium.
Mar 21, 2009 by D. A. Lembree | See all 2 posts
|Subtitles||Be the first to reply|
|Region-Free?||Be the first to reply|