4.0 out of 5 stars Chaos in Death only

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay read, shoddy publisher
Published on October 6, 2011 by EnglishMajor

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay read, shoddy publisher, October 6, 2011
This review is from: The Unquiet (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of Robb's Eve Dallas series, so much so that I'm willing to pay full price for the novellas that she includes in anthologies with Blayney, Gaffney, et al., even though I don't much care for the others, whose stories are pretty standard "supernatural romance" stuff & lack Robb's wit, her ear for dialogue, & her ability to create plausible characters even in completely implausible circumstances (as in, female homicide detective married to world's richest & most handsome man). I give "Chaos in Death" only 3 stars for several reasons. There's not enough of the usual snappy conversations between Dallas & her trusty partner, Peabody. The guaranteed one-every-50-pages sex scene between Dallas & Roarke isn't up to Robb's usual hot standard. And (SPOILER ALERT) Robb's explanation of the weird science that creates the murderer makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
But what really ticked me off about the book is that it started to come apart in my hands at about p. 65. I've got 5-year-old Robb paperbacks that I bought used in merely "good" condition & they're in better shape than this thing. If Penguin is going to charge $7.99, the least they can do is make sure the pages don't fall out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Prefer "In Death-only" anthologies, December 3, 2011
Ophelia Mourns (somewhere in summertime) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
The In Death series is my absolute favorite. In fact, this is the first time I've ever liked every single book in a series by any author, but I *hate* these anthologies. Typical publisher gimmick (I used to work in publishing, so I know this is from the bag of tricks that every publisher has), and they *can* have value when, say, an unknown author's work is paired in an anthology with a better known author. I'm all for author exposure, but given that In Death-only novellas/anthologies themselves are usually published at some point, it bugs me when a publisher tries to get me to pay twice. Bad enough that the In Death books now come out first in hardbound (and again, I understand why from the publisher's point of view) and, before the Kindle, I'd have to wait 6 months for the paperback (I do not want a mix of soft- and hardbound copies of the In Death books, and as they used to be published in softbound, I want to keep my collection that way), but to fork over more money, in this economy, for stories I'm not interested in just to get the one that I AM interested in, as a consumer, it bothers me. I think it would be great if the publisher published 4-5 In Death novellas/anthologies every 6 months or so, or on some sort of schedule (as Roberts writes them), and we "completists" could then have JUST the In Death books all together on our bookshelves. As it stands now, for any In Death novella that come published with other authors' works, I scour yard sales and if I find any and the price is less than $2.00, then I'll scoop it up. Otherwise, I wait and hope it will eventually be published in an In Death-series-only bundle.

And BTW, what IS it with the hike in Kindle book prices? Again, having worked in the industry for 20 years before retiring, I know what the unit cost is, what it actually costs the publisher to make these e-versions, what a publisher can sell an e-version for and still turn a nice profit. And given that most publishers outsource most of the copyediting, proofreading to full-service vendors--usually offshore--there's even LESS reason for the high price for the e-versions (because the vendors in turn hire someone, for FAR less than what the going rates used to be, to do the copyediting and proofreading, and that is assuming proofreading is even done anymore. Many books now get an 'editorial proofread' instead.).

Hopefully this In Death novella will show up in an In Death-only anthology at some point (maybe it already has? haven't had time to check).

And my apologies to anyone reading this. I just realized this review turned out to be anything BUT a review and more truly belongs in the Discussions section. BUT I also, for anyone who is interested/does read this, wanted to give my opinion that when it comes to JD Robb's In Death series, you generally can't go wrong. Nora Roberts has created a wonderful futuristic (but not Jetsons-style or Star Wars-like futuristic) world filled with fully developed, interesting characters, and one of the best female protagonists I've come across in years. I don't buy the argument (as many do) that characters in fictional works should be role models (as seems to be an argument regarding the Twilight books' Belle character), but if I did, I would absolutely consider Eve Dallas a role model for the modern woman. She's amazing. And who wouldn't want to be married to Roarke? LOL. If only he were real and could be cloned, and a 'copy' given to every one of Roberts' readers! Of course husbands across the land might have something to say about that!

Anyway, the anthology argument notwithstanding, when it comes to JD Robb's In Death series, I don't think you can go wrong. My only criticism of the series is because of my own greed: I wish a new In Death book came out every 3 months. The wait between books is sometimes just torturous :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Chaos in death only, October 4, 2011
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
First let me start by saying that the In Death books are one of my favorite series, and J D Robb one of my favorite aurthors.
That being said, I was very disappointed with this book. I found it rather dull and hard to get into. It was very predictable, but that's not what the main problem was for me. It just didn't flow like her usual work. I think there was too much to this story to be made into a short? I've really enjoyed her other short stories, and really let down by this one.
Not up to par with the rest of her work, by far.

Jessica

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 30, 2012
This review is from: The Unquiet (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the short story by J.D.Robb, but the others tended to be more romances and somewhat tedious. I would much prefer a collection of mystery short stories, as I no longer read romance novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chaos in Death only, September 27, 2011
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
I actually enjoyed this book. I had read a few reviews that people did not like the direction she took with this book. I actually did. It was a bit predictable and that was ok. I had a good idea who the bad guy was pretty early but the book itself was enjoyable. I love the people in these books and the way they come together and to me that's the most important part. Its different but in a good way. I cannot wait for the next one!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hulk Hogan meets Jekyll and Hyde., February 21, 2012
This review is from: The Unquiet (Mass Market Paperback)
Chaos in Death wast the story I was interesting in reading. Gotta love the variety that Robb comes up with for Eve and her team. The story reminded me of Hulk Hogan, a mild mannered scientist being transformed. And, it also reminded me of Jekyll and Hyde. What makes this story interesting is there is no lag in the story, it continues to move along not being bogged down by extra chapters. Eve catches a case of three dead former addicts all in the same rehab program. The facility they are all going to also does research into new methods for treating addictions. Witnesses describe the killer as being green, leaving the scene of the killings dancing and laughing. The picture of the killer is hard for anyone to take seriously. Yet, Eve continues to investigates and eventually identifies the killer and the reasons for them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'd hoped for, January 11, 2012
This review is from: The Unquiet (Mass Market Paperback)
I only bought this book because I'm addicted to the In Death series by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). It's one of the annual anthologies that appear around Halloween to which she contributes a futuristic police novella with a supernatural touch. Most of them are pretty good, but this entry, Chaos in Death, is far less believable. I know it sounds weird to compare believability among ghosts, invisibility, futuristic settings and the like, but the premise of this story just doesn't work for me. The Jekyll-and-Hyde concept of the plot is fine, but the physical description goes too far overboard. Coleridge wrote that fiction requires "the willing suspension of disbelief", but there has to be some hook to cling to while suspending...and in Chaos in Death, there is no such hook. If you're a fan of the In Death series, I recommend borrowing this from the library, but not wasting money on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good short stories, September 29, 2011
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
Unlike another reviewer, when I purchase a book I read the whole thing, not just a third of it. The J.D. Robb book is good but hard to get all the details in that a whole book would contain. I've read the second story and love that it's a carry on of "Poppy's Coin" in a previous short story anthology. I'm reading the rest right now. I would suggest people read "New York to Dallas" before reading this one as some comments are made about what happened there. I haven't read it yet. I love short stories, they are a good way to get in a quick read when there's no time for a complete book. Keep them coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possession in Death in The Unquiet collection of short stories., January 28, 2014
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
This is a very different type of story in the "Death" series. I enjoyed it very much. It made me think outside the box. I love all the people in the series. I am sorry I cannot comment on the other stories in this book because I bought it strictly for the J D Robb story. I have the complete collection and enjoy reading them more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Unquiet, November 11, 2013
This review is from: The Unquiet (Kindle Edition)
This is a great read. The stories are well written and give the reader a place where they can be close to the characters. Anyone who enjoys happy endings will like this book.

The Unquiet
The Unquiet by Mary Blayney (Mass Market Paperback - September 27, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19